CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

I don't see this 'drawing' in more tourists as much as it will 'extend' the existing tourist and locals experience. People will visit this as an adjunct to a dinner out, stroll through Falls Park, Peace Center event, etc. In much the same way the SC Acquarium in Charleston was built not so much to draw additional tourists, but to get the tourists already coming to extend there stay.

Precisely. :) Something that people can look back and be able to recall when they visited the city because of its unique-ness.

Edited by GvilleSC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP.

OK, so when is the rest of Phase II going to kick off? The Terrace is getting pretty near complete. It's time to expand the underground parking and begin construction on the next two buildings. Has the city budgeted for expanding the parking deck? Someone here has gotta know.

BUMP.

OK, so when is the rest of Phase II going to kick off? The Terrace is getting pretty near complete. It's time to expand the underground parking and begin construction on the next two buildings. Has the city budgeted for expanding the parking deck? Someone here has gotta know.

Yes to the question about if the city has the money now to expand the parking deck. Construction will probably start on the rest of phase II and/or III later this year.

Yes to the question about if the city has the money now to expand the parking deck. Construction will probably start on the rest of phase II and/or III later this year.

What will the buildings in the rest of phase II and in phase III look like? Isn't phase III the highrise office building? What else can we expect in terms of additions? I am excited about the idea of Riverplace adding more density and amenities, but hopefully there will be some different architecture than the Terrace, Hampton Inn, etc. Don't get me wrong, those are great additions - but I'm ready for something different now.

What will the buildings in the rest of phase II and in phase III look like? Isn't phase III the highrise office building? What else can we expect in terms of additions? I am excited about the idea of Riverplace adding more density and amenities, but hopefully there will be some different architecture than the Terrace, Hampton Inn, etc. Don't get me wrong, those are great additions - but I'm ready for something different now.

I'm not sure to your first question. I heard that Hughes will probably do some design and height changes to the rest of phase II and all of III. Yes to your second question. Hopefully, a movie theater and other cool additions to your third question. hyper.gif

Okay, here is the original rendering for RiverPlace. Although it's a couple of years old now, and changes will likely be made (at least slight ones), it gives us something to go on for discussion:

riverplace02.jpg

The newer phase are obviously on the right from this view. I really like the building that continues the "circular corners" theme seen on other RiverPlace buildings. And if the highrise is improved from that image (as we've heard it will be), it will be in a great location to help our skyline. :)

Thoughts or anything to add?

I wouldn't mind phase two increasing its height, if demand is there. Let the buildings kind of step up as they get closer to phase three. And of course increase phase three's height by a great amount... :whistling:

Agreed, and I have said all along that the buildings should have been doubled up (ie, Hampton Inn and Terrace in one taller building, the two condo buildings in one taller one, etc.). Not only would this have resulted in a true skyline improvement, but also allowed for expansion within the site.

BTW, what is the cube shaped structure on the top of the Terrace, it look slike a very small top floor, but it was not in the rendering.

BTW, what is the cube shaped structure on the top of the Terrace, it look slike a very small top floor, but it was not in the rendering.

I thought I remembered reading that one of the amenities of the Terrace is a "terrace" on the roof for the residents to enjoy... ??

Agreed, and I have said all along that the buildings should have been doubled up (ie, Hampton Inn and Terrace in one taller building, the two condo buildings in one taller one, etc.). Not only would this have resulted in a true skyline improvement, but also allowed for expansion within the site.

That Cube shaped "room" could be a mechanical room for HVAC equipment etc.

I would say it either houses the stairs down or it houses the HVAC

I would have thought it was WAY too nice to just simply house mechanical stuff. Maybe someone can get a good picture of it, but it looks a lot nice than what you'll find on top of Publix, the Hampton Inn, or the Office building at Riverplace.

I would have thought it was WAY too nice to just simply house mechanical stuff. Maybe someone can get a good picture of it, but it looks a lot nice than what you'll find on top of Publix, the Hampton Inn, or the Office building at Riverplace.

That's what I thought. And there is actually a smaller extra something to the left of this, near the other end of the bulding.

It may be nicer becuase there will be people on the roof.

It may be nicer becuase there will be people on the roof.

Which is what I've been talking about all along. I'm talking about the "large cube", which is for people to have roof access. Not the small rectangle that is probably for HVAC. Though it is nice, too.

BUMP.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

I have so many photos from downtown to upload it is ridiculous. They'll just have to wait though. ^_^

The Drunken Goat should be opening sometime this month, if everything goes as planned. The teaser posters have been in the windows for awhile now, and I have seen simple ads in the paper lately as well. This will add quite a bit of flair to the fountain area, with outdoor dining on one of the patios. :shades:

One other question I had is whether the Russell Vaughn Candy store is gone for good, or are they planning a return, since their handmade sign is still up? The space is completely empty though. Going at it the way they did gave them no chance of real success. They just didn't provide a worthy attraction for curious visitors. I love the idea of a candy store on the river walk, but that was just a pitiful way to attempt opening one. :dontknow:

I thought it was the Lazy Goat? :unsure: Doesn't matter to me...I like either name. The Greenville news in their article a week referred to it as a yet-to-be-named restaurant.

One other question I had is whether the Russell Vaughn Candy store is gone for good, or are they planning a return, since their handmade sign is still up? The space is completely empty though. Going at it the way they did gave them no chance of real success. They just didn't provide a worthy attraction for curious visitors. I love the idea of a candy store on the river walk, but that was just a pitiful way to attempt opening one. :dontknow:

Did they exit as silently as they entered? I agree. Their approach was not well thought out. I, too, love the idea of a proper confectioner on the River Walk. Show me a window full of candied and carmel apples and a display cause full of truffles! Shine some lights on it all to let people know you're there. Hang a nice shingle out front. Put a candy cart out on the sidewalk to attract attention. etc.

I thought it was the Lazy Goat? :unsure: Doesn't matter to me...I like either name. The Greenville news in their article a week referred to it as a yet-to-be-named restaurant.

Did they exit as silently as they entered? I agree. Their approach was not well thought out. I, too, love the idea of a proper confectioner on the River Walk. Show me a window full of candied and carmel apples and a display cause full of truffles! Shine some lights on it all to let people know you're there. Hang a nice shingle out front. Put a candy cart out on the sidewalk to attract attention. etc.

I was thinking "Lazy," but since seeing the logo have been thinking "Drunken." :lol: So sorry for the mistake. LOL