CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

I thought it was the Lazy Goat? :unsure: Doesn't matter to me...I like either name. The Greenville news in their article a week referred to it as a yet-to-be-named restaurant.

Did they exit as silently as they entered? I agree. Their approach was not well thought out. I, too, love the idea of a proper confectioner on the River Walk. Show me a window full of candied and carmel apples and a display cause full of truffles! Shine some lights on it all to let people know you're there. Hang a nice shingle out front. Put a candy cart out on the sidewalk to attract attention. etc.

Didn't some one say they just set up a temporary shop and that they were going back to build it right?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so has anyone heard anything else about the carillion? Are they waiting for the completion of the terrace? Or for the completion of Riverplace? Also, the fountain is still not working correctly. The other day, only a couple jets were coming up (and straight up, not at an arch) at the tracks, and the middle portion of the left side is still not working. They spend all the money and time making the fountain, but don't bother to make it work right? What's the deal? :dontknow::rolleyes:

It can take longer than most people expect to get the kinks worked out with the plumbing. I remember seeing all the pipes in the ground. There were hundreds of them. If just a few of them dont work right then the whole system may not work as it should.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the Carillon. It's been a year now and I know it doesn't take that long to make the plans for the structure. They could be waiting for the completion of the Terrace, but I'd think they would start sometime soon to have both finished at the same time... Maybe the Greenville Journal can find some info out for us...

I recently heard that the Carillon is suppose to go in after the current building is finished (the building with Bounce offices). Apparently they have been using the plaza area for construction related work and didn't want the Carillon damaged since it will be one of kind. From my understanding, the Carillon is in the process of being manufactured offsite. Maybe someone can confirm that?

If they are smart, they will stay open late on weekends. A downtown business like this closing at 5:00 or 6:00 pm on Friday and Saturday night is a recipe for failure, IMO.

Absolutely. This can serve as a dessert spot. Closing any earlier than 10-11 (IMO) will make this be discussed in the "downtown retail: what's going on?" thread.

Edited by GvilleSC

Looks like they're gettin a candy shop.

0623071937-00.jpg

Are they actually going to make a go of it or is this sign left over from when they were briefly open there previously? I've not seen any signs that they're actually still in business since Artisphere.

erm1981: Carolina Chocolates on the West Side of North Main is a candy shop...although it's not a stellar one, unfortunately. But it's good. You should check it out.

Are they actually going to make a go of it or is this sign left over from when they were briefly open there previously? I've not seen any signs that they're actually still in business since Artisphere.

erm1981: Carolina Chocolates on the West Side of North Main is a candy shop...although it's not a stellar one, unfortunately. But it's good. You should check it out.

There was some work going on in there so they where either movin in or movin out, I don't know which.

100_0849.jpg

I really like how both building are similar but different. I am also surprised how much glass the condos have and how much taller the Terrace is than the Hampton Inn (mainly the corner tower). :thumbsup:

Edited by TREY

100_0849.jpg

I really like how both building are similar but different. I am also surprised how much glass the condos have and how much taller the Terrace is than the Hampton Inn (mainly the corner tower). :thumbsup:

I too have noticed that the Terrace seems to be noticeably taller, especially coming in on 123 from Easley. And I love the additions on the top, and the taller glass tower; it really gives it some individuality from the Hampton, and keeps the top from looking hacked of flat.

Now, where is the rest of phase 2, and phase 3...

I wonder if the city had the money to continue the garage down the river, if the developer would even be ready to continue the development, both plan wise and confidence wise. I wonder if the plans are drawn and if the developer is bullish on the market for either condos or office space? You know, none of the other buildings had functions after the Terrace; they're all tentative... I hope we see continuation soon though