CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

I still can't get over the fact that these prime "waterfront" locations aren't occupied with restaurants with al fresco dining/seating. How cool would that look to see them filled with people patronizing restaurants, coffee shops, cafes, bistros and the like? Does anyone know if the artists got a break on rent? How on earth could they afford this space unless it was subsidized? Thanks

I am pretty sure those artists are given deals on the rent. It was part of the city's plan to have the "art walk" there, and the goal was to have the artists there for extended hours to give them more visibility to patrons walking around the waterfront. In turn, it also gives people more access to the artists and their work (rather than just seeing something in a gallery by an artist you have never seen or met). I think it works well, although there is no arguing that those are prime locations along the river!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Not trying to play grammar police, but exactly how did they decide what to capitalize and what not to capitalize? :unsure:

Yea, I thought it was odd that "extraordinary" wasn't capitalized, too. Oops.

Where exactly will this be placed? It doesn't look like it's in its final resting place right now, which is why I ask.

The shape of the stone looks like he was buried there...

I'm not 100% certain; however, I think it is actually in its final resting place at the base of the fountain, in front of the Terrace. The masonry on the wall will be built up around it, in much the same way that the "Falls Park on the Reedy" signs at the top of the Main Street stairs was done. Perhaps erm can verify this? The shape of the stone is the same shape that's used throughout the area for the "Falls Park on the Reedy" signage.

2227059809_c1aa053731_b.jpg

Your photo is great RT, but IMO, this memorial to Buck Mickel misses the mark. The whole "In Remembrance" wording, the stone, the shape of the stone.....all evoke a cemetery feel for me, and seems too somber/moody/serious for the Riverwalk. Don't get me wrong, Buck Mickel should be honored....he was a great man....I just don't agree with the aesthetics of this. Why not a bronze plaque, a bronze statue, etc....something more upbeat?

For anyone not familiar with Buck Mickel, here is a link. The man did incredible things for Greenville and we all owe much to him for the Greenville we enjoy today.

http://www.knowitall.org/legacy/laureates/Buck%20Mickel.html

Precisely, Gsupstate.

I understand that the shape goes with the Falls Park signage elsewhere, but those signs don't say "In Rememberance" on them. If it's placed fully in a wall, where the wall extends not only around the sides of the stone, but also above it, then it'd be more acceptable. The crest and general shape won't stand out.

I agree that a bronze plaque would be more appropriate.

Your photo is great RT, but IMO, this memorial to Buck Mickel misses the mark. The whole "In Remembrance" wording, the stone, the shape of the stone.....all evoke a cemetery feel for me, and seems too somber/moody/serious for the Riverwalk. Don't get me wrong, Buck Mickel should be honored....he was a great man....I just don't agree with the aesthetics of this. Why not a bronze plaque, a bronze statue, etc....something more upbeat?

For anyone not familiar with Buck Mickel, here is a link. The man did incredible things for Greenville and we all owe much to him for the Greenville we enjoy today.

I agree that he was a true visionary. He saw Greenville's potential when few others did, and we certainly owe a great deal of our current success to him. I also concur that we could've done a lot better job of honoring him.

An idea I just had would be to somehow honor Greenville's greats with a series of statues along a secondary downtown street's sidewalk. Perhaps each statue could be separated by 15-20 yards, each seen "walking" down the sidewalk toward Greenville's bright future. I think it would be a very cool way to recognize some local Greenville heroes who have played a vital role in making our downtown one of the country's finest. We could even rename the street (or that section of the street) in recognition of them...

Edited by Greenville

• 1 month later...

According to this article, the money for Riverplace is there, so what was witht he article of waiting 2 years? :dontknow:

Doeas anybody know anything about what is really happening DT nowadays? :dontknow:

This is the $1.9M that's been in the news and under question this week. From what I've read so far, the questioning is because there's no detail as to what the $1.9M will be used for. I doubt it will go toward finishing the parking deck...that'd cost considerably more than just $1.9M and the budget isn't there right now for it - hence the two years. This $1.9M is for other aesthetic improvements...specifically - your guess is as good as mine.

This is the $1.9M that's been in the news and under question this week. From what I've read so far, the questioning is because there's no detail as to what the $1.9M will be used for. I doubt it will go toward finishing the parking deck...that'd cost considerably more than just $1.9M and the budget isn't there right now for it - hence the two years. This $1.9M is for other aesthetic improvements...specifically - your guess is as good as mine.

If you recall the original renderings for Riverplace, there were 2 pedestrian bridges that went across the river in front of Riverplace. I wonder if some of the money could be going towards this other bridge. The current bridge goes across at an angle and the other bridge in the rendering came around at an opposite angle so that they kind of formed a big arch leading back and forth from the riverwalk on the south side over to the Peace Center side on the north.

I seem to recall that the last phase of Riverplace will be a complex of 5 buildings for the remainder of the lot towards River St.

There is also that competition for the sculpture of bells (or whatever it was) that there was a competition for as a centerpiece in the turnabout in front of Lazygoat. Anyone know when that will come to fruition?

If you recall the original renderings for Riverplace, there were 2 pedestrian bridges that went across the river in front of Riverplace. I wonder if some of the money could be going towards this other bridge. The current bridge goes across at an angle and the other bridge in the rendering came around at an opposite angle so that they kind of formed a big arch leading back and forth from the riverwalk on the south side over to the Peace Center side on the north.

I seem to recall that the last phase of Riverplace will be a complex of 5 buildings for the remainder of the lot towards River St.

There is also that competition for the sculpture of bells (or whatever it was) that there was a competition for as a centerpiece in the turnabout in front of Lazygoat. Anyone know when that will come to fruition?

Welcome to UrbanPlanet, greenvillehistorytours! Great to have you on board. :)

Here is a picture of the original RiverPlace renderings. This rendering I found on Photobucket is small, but it does appear to have the second pedestrian bridge you mentioned:

aerial-perspective.jpg

Good to see that rendering again and see how much has been built. Not much left in the next phase on this side of River Street, and of then of course, the future, long range large building by Academy. I'd love to see the second bridge built soon, to further pedestrian flow.

I agree completely. When I first saw that "tombstone," I thought it looked very much out of place and lessened the lively mood of the fountain area. After a few weeks of seeing it in place, I now think it actually looks so out of place that it is almost tacky. Oh well. <_<

That second bridge would be nice as well, but I suspect that would cost more than $1.9M to construct something as nice as what appears to be in the rendering.

The chime would be one possibility, yes. I have no idea when construction of that was supposed to begin. I would hope to see it constructed before I move away...but as long as it has taken me to move so far, seeing it constructed could be a safe bet. :P

One thought that came to me whilst updating another thread - that darned fountain hasn't been 100% operational yet - perhaps the $1.9 is to cover cost overruns and repairs for it? ;)

I agree completely. When I first saw that "tombstone," I thought it looked very much out of place and lessened the lively mood of the fountain area. After a few weeks of seeing it in place, I now think it actually looks so out of place that it is almost tacky. Oh well. <_<

I was hoping that they would move the tombstone. Oh well. I wonder how many people walk by and think Buck Mickel is buried in the sidewalk beneath? :lol: