CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

So Phase 3 is being designed, but not neccesarily going to be built in the near future?

Correct. It's just being designed right now. There is no timetable for construction at this time: http://www.constructionjournal.com/project_view.aspx?tab=2&id=647212&t=Riverplace+-+Phase+3 Project Status: Design Development.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Is this particular piece of property a new addition to Riverplace? Or is it merely coincidence that this is being developed by Hughes? 7 stories is going to peak over the top of the Hampton Inn nicely from the CBD view. Plus, added retail on Camperdown is clutch. :thumbsup: LOVE IT!

PS- I'm assuming that residential must be a main component of the upper floors based on the number of balconies. Any word?

This property was not included in the original RiverPlace proposal, so either way it would be a bonus project. I also noticed the outline for a "future building" on the same site. If construction of this building moves forward without any additional progress along the river or at least one or more solid commitments from future tenants, then I will be very surprised. I don't think all available space in The Terrace has been leased yet.

As adrockc2 said, I would love to see it built.

Edited by Skyliner

I noticed that there is ALSO a future "artist Lofts" line on the drawings, as well as the 'future building' previously mentioned.

I noticed the artist lofts, as well. Does anyone know what exactly they mean by that? It seemed kind of small and awkwardly positioned from what I remember. I wasn't sure what to make of it... :dontknow:

I noticed the artist lofts, as well. Does anyone know what exactly they mean by that? It seemed kind of small and awkwardly positioned from what I remember. I wasn't sure what to make of it... :dontknow:

I'm guessing it is slated to be something much like Art Crossing at Riverplace: http://www.artcrossing.org/ Oh and expect a Greenville News story on this new project fairly soon. Confidence of it getting built is fairly high. ;)

Edited by citylife

I'm guessing it is slated to be something much like Art Crossing at Riverplace: http://www.artcrossing.org/ Oh and expect a Greenville News story on this new project fairly soon. Confidence of it getting built is fairly high. ;)

:thumbsup: Looking forward to finding out more details.

I wonder if this could start the first block of Rhett Street improvements? :dontknow:

Wow, that's more like my kind of architectural design. Just this past weekend I was dreaming about Vail, CO, and this drawing reminds me of the architecture there. I wonder when, why and for whom these were drawn? I love the way they incorporated the layout of the RiverPlace courtyard and fountain.

I actually think the most recent design is scaled more appropriately for its location. The tall tower in the former design just seems like it would be out of place for that location.

I tend to agree. With Reedy Square being proposed just a block away, no architectural design is going to compete with it. This is a great site for a filler building and an opportunity for expanded density.

And now that I think about it, that tower feature reminds me of a suburban mall/town center entrance in terms of its basic form and how it towers over the rest of the low-scale structure. It looks like it's trying to be purposefully stick out instead of blend with the overall development with a few distinctive features. Be glad that's not what's getting built.

You can be glad that it is not being built. I actually think it would look much better in real life, of course with proper proportions and refined elements taken into account. It is only a simple sketch and lacks enough detail to completely visualize its affect on the surrounding skyline. Taking an educated guess, it appears to be no greater than three stories taller than the building currently being proposed by Hughes. I definitely prefer its elegant design elements to that of the current proposal and imagine it would add to the variety of architecture in the CBD, rather than "stick out" in a negative way. I really love the way they positioned the "tower" (a mid-rise at best) in relation to the current development along the river. Hopefully we will see something truly unique in that area soon -- in addition to Reedy Square, of course.