CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

This might already be known, but:

The staff comments on the DPC application indicate that the proposed 7 story structure at Camperdown and Rhett Streets would be retail on the first floor, residential above, and the top two floors being office space. This seems like a good breakdown of the space, keeping in the character of the West End being a more residential/shopping/dining node, but still providing a lunch time crowd with some office use.

I'd like to know the price range for these units, if anyone gets wind of this information... :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...seems like the two floors above the ground floor should be office, and the very top floors should be residential. I'm sure someone would be willing to pay top dollar for some penthouse views.

If they have a client already that wants the top two floors it would make sense to let them have it. That will help in getting financing. Also, this building is rental, I think, not condominiums. It might be harder to get renters who will pay a big premium for the top two floors.

If they have a client already that wants the top two floors it would make sense to let them have it. That will help in getting financing. Also, this building is rental, I think, not condominiums. It might be harder to get renters who will pay a big premium for the top two floors.

True, I was thinking condos but they could very well be apartments. Would probably make more sense to be apartments in this economy.

Anybody know whatever happened to the gondola service that was supposed to be implemented in front of Riverplace along the Reedy River? :dontknow: DPC application from April: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2010/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/4-01-2010/CA-10-37-RiverPlace.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

:D Told you so...well at least for the development part of it: http://www.greenvill...0Camperdown.pdf Seven stories tall; mixed use.

This property closed early in December ($2.7mm). Hughes also controls a smaller parcel in the same block. Not sure if the smaller parcel is part of this project or not.

There is a third small parcel in that block at the corner of Rhett and River. Perhaps that will be added too.

I heard demolition has already started.

Apparently things are progressing, but still not completely firm yet.

I hope that if these buildings come down, something will SOON follow them with construction. Nothing is worse than red clay lots around town, waiting their developments to start. The former Green Monster site and Sheally site in the West End are a BIG gaping hole in the urban fabric.

I hope that if these buildings come down, something will SOON follow them with construction. Nothing is worse than red clay lots around town, waiting their developments to start. The former Green Monster site and Sheally site in the West End are a BIG gaping hole in the urban fabric.

While I would agree with you normally, in this case, a vacant lot IS an improvement (over a metal warehouse building). Demolition HAS started, btw.

The brick work is completed on the Custom House too.

While I would agree with you normally, in this case, a vacant lot IS an improvement (over a metal warehouse building). Demolition HAS started, btw.

The brick work is completed on the Custom House too.

I'm not saying that I love the building, but when there's a wide openness about a place, it loses something. I would NEVER be an advocate for saving it, but I'd be just fine with a solid construction fence (i.e. Main @ McBee, Gateway site) continuing the "wall" of built environment and the experience it offers over a mud lot. So, if nothing gets built for 2 years, tear it down, but put a barrier up. Visual connections across entire blocks were never meant to be. Even landscaped spaces offer trees to break up one's visual experience and keep it scaled to a walkable sense. I hope that makes more sense as to what I was getting at...

The Custom House has taken forever to complete it seems. Even after it resumed, it seemed to be a painfully slow process... BTW, I love the exterior fire escape on the back. It adds a very nice touch. Something authentic and seems aware of its sense of place in a former warehouse district.

It's Hughes we're talking about here not Bob Ellis. :lol: He has the power to actually get his projects built unlike some others. dry.gif I expect the building to start construction sometime this year. :thumbsup:

Demolition of buildings was slated to start late last year/early this year so it's good to see it happening on time. :)

Edited by citylife

The Greenville Journal gets the scoop on the new building at Camperdown and River Streets, with an article written by 'contributing writer' Dick Hughes.

The 90,000 sq. ft. "Riverwalk" project is 'on' and will take 12 months to complete. Triangle Construction is the GC. It includes BOTH parcels that I alluded to in an earlier post (total 1.4 acres).

There will be 40 three-bedroom apartments, and four two-bedroom apartments. Also, there will be eight artist studios on the ground level and three offices on the top two floors. Additional space on the ground floor can be either office or retail.

By using government-assisted financing called New Market Tax Credits, the rents will be 'affordable' with 3BRs going for below $850 and 2BRs under $675. TD Bank is involved with the tax credits and the secondary financing.

The tenants in Riverwalk receive a 15% discount at Art Crossing and also get free tickets to Centre Stage productions.

A rendering is included and it looks much better the the ones submitted to the city.

An additional 52 residential units downtown is awesome!! :thumbsup: The fact that they're affordable is even better. Downtown could still use some more market rate apartments, too, I'd think.

Furthermore, the rendering looks pretty solid, and the construction occurrence is exciting! The entire river area is going to transform a LOT over the next two years. Between this development, the Peace Center renovation, and Reedy Square's expected construction we're going to see a lot of change. Maybe we'll see some spinoff developments, too..?

An additional 52 residential units downtown is awesome!! :thumbsup: The fact that they're affordable is even better. Downtown could still use some more market rate apartments, too, I'd think.

Furthermore, the rendering looks pretty solid, and the construction occurrence is exciting! The entire river area is going to transform a LOT over the next two years. Between this development, the Peace Center renovation, and Reedy Square's expected construction we're going to see a lot of change. Maybe we'll see some spinoff developments, too..?

44 not 52. The artist's studios are like the ones at Art Crossing. They are work studios not studio APARTMENTS. However, there was a mention of letting Artist's leasing studios getting the first chance at an apartment.

Hopefully, this will spur Tom Croft to re-start his project across River Street from this project. Albeit, it looks as if he is doing the McBee at McDaniel project instead.

I told you guys you didn't have to worry about whether construction would start or not with Hughes involved. :thumbsup: This isn't Bob Ellis or Mark Kent we're talking about here. Oh and don't be suprised to hear of more major Hughes involved projects downtown soon. :whistling:

Edit-separate construction thread for this project now up:

Edited by citylife

Blues Boulevard is planning to open in March at the Terrace of Riverplace building across the waterfall from Lazy Goat according to an article in the Greenville News. It will occupy 1,800 square feet. The restaurant will feature live piano jazz on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and jazz/blues bands with at least three pieces on Fridays and Saturdays. They hope to book top-name acts such as David Sanborn, Wynton Marsalis, Chris Botti, and Michael Franks once a quarter with a cover charge of $20-$35 while focusing on local talent at other times with no cover charge and a two-drink minimum purchase. Blues Boulevard will also offer salads, sandwiches, quiches and deserts made by Nations Bakery in Lyman. They are planning to open other locations in Charleston and Charlotte.

Edited by citylife

• 9 months later...

From the Gville News, regarding tonight's City Council meeting:

Meanwhile, a “carillon” — an organ-like bell tower — could soon emit tunes on the river in a change to the city’s development agreement for RiverPlace.

About $250,000 from the city’s downtown tax increment district will pay for the carillon, city documents show. Nancy Whitworth, head of economic development for the city, said it’s likely to play only during special events, not on a regular basis.

The city is also poised to agree to pay another $186,250 to complete terrace work on the site.

I wonder if this means another phase of Riverplace is in the near future? Anyone hearing any news/rumors?

Edited by vicupstate

• 5 months later...

While we knew that the Moore School of Business was going to Riverplace, we now know it will take the old Bounce location:

The University of South Carolina’s Moore School of Business plans to open a new office at Riverplace in downtown Greenville by May, its dean revealed at an alumni gathering Monday.

Dean Hildy Teegen, speaking to about 100 alumni at Fluor Corp.’s Greenville campus, said the two-classroom office will open on the ground floor of the Riverplace building where the Bounce advertising agency has been located.

The space includes a circular room and is directly across a courtyard from the Hampton Inn & Suites at Riverplace and directly across Camperdown Way from the new Riverwalk highrise.

Greenville developer Phil Hughes, a member of the Moore School board, owns the building where the office is going. He’s also developer of Riverwalk.

“That was a big part of why there,” Teegen said.

“But it’s also proximate to hotels and restaurants which for us is really convenient for this kind of thing, for catering. If we do overnight executive programming, there’s a place right there where people can stay. It sort of offers all the amenities of the city within walking distance, close walking distance, and we get to use them, but we don’t have to provide them.”

Teegen said the Moore School will use the new office for professional MBA classes, executive education, alumni meetings and statewide discussions on business and policy issues over an advanced telecommunications network.

The office will be linked to the Moore School’s Columbia headquarters and its other satellite offices around the state via high-definition “telepresence” technology developed with the help of Cisco Systems, Polycom and AT&T.

Teegen said Hughes is helping to finance a speakers series that will employ the technology. Hughes couldn't be reached for comment.

“We have a facility with the technology to be able to bring business and community leaders together around the state simultaneously to talk about these issues that are facing all of us,” Teegen said.

The new office will replace the Moore School’s presence at the University Center on Pleasantburg Drive.