CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't particularly like the rear portion of the drawing but I do find elements that are favorable overall. I do NOT like how they route the garage traffic in along the river. Retail should be fronting the trail at that point, not removed behind a driveway. Let's wait for the DRB application before we write this off. Aughtry has delivered two really great projects downtown in the past 10 years. This should be no different.

In conjunction with the two dense mid rises at the Rivers Edge development, this is going to really transform the riverfront upstream!

Mr. Aughtry said the main restaurant is "one you've likely heard of before. We can't announce it yet, but we'll have a really GREAT lobby restaurant." That doesn't sound like Cheesecake Factory to me, nor does that seem like a great fit for a downtown Embassy Suites, in my opinion.

Sorry, Cheesecake might have been a bad example of a national brand that people have heard of. I doubt any Charleston restaurants have the kind of name recognition that he indicated. But who knows. This is all speculation. It's hard to be wrong when nobody knows what is right. Edited by GvilleSC

Mr. Aughtry said the main restaurant is "one you've likely heard of before. We can't announce it yet, but we'll have a really GREAT lobby restaurant." That doesn't sound like Cheesecake Factory to me, nor does that seem like a great fit for a downtown Embassy Suites, in my opinion.

That doesn't necessarily mean it won't be good.  What if it's going to be Morton's, The Palms, or something equivalent?

I would be disappointed if it's simply a relocation/reopening of another downtown restaurant like Restaurant O or Devereaux's.

That doesn't necessarily mean it won't be good. What if it's going to be Morton's, The Palms, or something equivalent?

I would be disappointed if it's simply a relocation/reopening of another downtown restaurant like Restaurant O or Devereaux's.

I was referring to a Cheesecake Factory in an Embassy Suites lobby. Any of the others mentioned would be great, in my opinion.

I definitely agree about Cheesecake Factory.  I'd love to see them as a restaurant associated with Haywood Mall, but not downtown at Embassy Suites.

I hope that Embassy Suites will have sturdy beds if you've got a Cheescake Factory going in.......the fattening of America.....gotta change.

Although not quite what the original plan called for, that does seem to fit right in with RiverPlace and the timeline is aggressive enough that I think it will get done before the US economy gets thrown into the crapper again by greedy fiscal and economic policy decisions.  That being said, I would still like to see another unique pedestrian bridge across that end of the Reedy connecting things back up with the Peace Center and closing the loop a bit.

• 5 weeks later...

The plans haven't even been approved by Design Review Board yet?!   Is this just to get an idea of the costs for financing,etc? 

Not sure. It appears the general contractor has already been hired and all of the architects plans are on the bid package so who knows. Including the parking garage at the bottom, the hotel is slated to be 121 feet tall. A future condo building is slated for a site between the hotel and Terrace building along the river while a future office building is slated for a site between the hotel and Innovate building along River Street. 

Edited by gman430

Not sure. It appears the general contractor has already been hired and all of the architects plans are on the bid package so who knows. Including the parking garage at the bottom, the hotel is slated to be 121 feet tall. A future condo building is slated for a site between the hotel and Terrace building along the river while a future office building is slated for a site between the hotel and Innovate building along River Street. 

Sounds like some nice density going in there.  :good: