CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCF0367.jpg

Looks cool! Took this about 5 minutes ago.

Thanks, TREY! That looks very interesting! :thumbsup:

I thought the area next to the stairwell where those 3 properties once stood was supposed to have a cascading waterfall; not plants. Look at the first rendering to see what i'm talking about: http://www.55riverplace.com/property.asp

I had been under the same impression from the various renderings; however, renderings don't always represent the actual implementation. :unsure:

The Greenville News must be checking out urbanplanet or something because right after we talked about why the Riverplace Development doesn't have a cascading waterfall between Main Street and the stairwell that leads down to the Reedy River, they post a story about it: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/602260312

I saw that on the front page today as well as part of the eminent domain fight article. At least we now have an answer. :lol:

I get a kick out of the new details on the centerpiece fountain:

"Hughes said the huge fountain, now under construction near the hotel at RiverPlace, will be 150 feet wide and 27 feet high and shoot water six feet from the top. It will include water effects that coordinate with train sounds and music, a homage to the railroad tracks that once ran along the river, he said.

State officials are classifying the fountain as a swimming pool because it's so large, Hughes said, requiring public bathrooms and water testing."

I think they ran out of money having to pay so much for land they stole to begin with....

I think the fountain was cancelled before the court fight and the jury verdict; otherwise, I'd agree that this unexpected budgetary constraint may be why it was cancelled. If anything, the verdict will result in the rest of the park and also Phase III (due to lack of money for the additional parking garage) may be delayed further.

I can't see how the verdict came down as it did, especially considering that Harper Corp. sold 2 acres along the river nearby for 2.4 million. How can you award anybody 2.6 million for .25 acre? It must have been a sympathy thing. And while I can understand that, a jury is supposed to reach a decision based on facts, not emotion. :rolleyes:

Yeah, i'm kind of dissappointed about that fountain being cancelled........and i really DO NOT like the idea of the main fountain playing music, it will pretty much ruin the serenity of the whole area......who's terrible idea was this? <_<

I thought it was going to play train whistles and choo choo sounds instead of music?

I suppose its impact on the serenity of the area really depends on how loud it plays? If it's at a volume to where you can hear it while you're walking through the fountain yet the sound of the rushing water from the fountain itself rides over it elsewhere, that may not be so bad, no? :unsure:

I thought it said it would play music as well as train sounds....whenever i think of fountains that play music and such, it reminds me of amusement parks and a bunch screaming little kids running in and around a big fountain...and that certainly has an impact on how i view an areas serenity, and isn't there supposed to be a retaurant on level down beside the fountain, in the Hampton Inn building. I don't want to have a nice patio view of a grand fountain while i eat and have to listen to train whistles over a nice dinner, kind of ruins the mood. Am i wrong here or just being to hard on the situation due to the extrme close proximity i will be to this noisemaker?

With a fountain that large, I suspect the ambient sound of flowing/rushing/gushing water will deaden out any other music/noise. I don't think you're taking too hard of a line. You do, after all, reside next door, so you have every right to be concerned here. I hope the developers have paid careful attention to the impact of this on residents. I'm certain they have, really, but time will tell how it will be in the end. Although I find the fountain at the Bellagio to be amazing, I don't think I'd want to live next door to it.

No one has brought up what the article stated about the main fountain's size....as large as it will be, it's classed as a "pool" and the water chemical balance will have to be maintained. On one hand, I find this rather neat....imagine a warm summer evening late, you and your other half have been to dinner and decide to fountain jump....could be romantic and kinda fun. On the other hand....imagine being there on a Sunday afternoon and some mom from who knows where has here DIAPERED kid in the fountain.....ewww.

This fountain is an area that's for everyone, to bring people from all walks of life together. I bet you it will definitely accomplish that goal! :thumbsup:

DSCF0367.jpg

Looks cool! Took this about 5 minutes ago.

I saw this yesterday too, it kind of took me by surprise. I like it, though it is too bad they cancelled the fountain construction.

Anyone know when they are planning to reopen the walkway under the Main St. bridge to the Swamp Rabbit Bridge? I'm getting tired of walking all the way around falls park to cross the river. :D

As for the music, I'm pretty sure they'll use speakers that are directional and can only be heard in specific areas. Audio technology has advanced to the point where this is possible today. At the Bi-Lo in Powdersville, there are TV monitors above the checkout lanes and the speakers for these are directed to specific spots where the sound can be heard. Step out of that area and you can't hear what is playing. It's quite cool, really. :shades: