Some of My Favorite Buildings

btoy

I wanted to post images of some of my favorite buildings in Greenville.

While I Love the Westin Poinsett and the Chamber of Commerce building everyone has seen those on here so I wanted to post some that are less recognizable.

Greenville Summit, I love this building. It has a public hearing sighn up at it right now, any idea what is going on with it?

Summit.jpg

Legg Mason/ Guy Tanos Building

This thing is beautiful, not shown is the new addition. Next to this will be the 12 story tower and theater with entrance to main where Kimbrell's currently stands.

Guy_Tanos.jpg

Cool Red Building

Red_Building.jpg

Gassaway Mansion, talk about odd, I love this thing!!!

In the Overbrook Historic District just off East North Street.

Gassaway.jpg

2nd Pres. on River Street

2ndPres.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have any pics but I would have to say the Poinsette Plaza would have to be one of my favorite buildings, Landmark Building mainly for the height. I love coming around the bend on 385 and seeing the Blue Ridge mountains and then the Landmark Building rising out of the trees. So many great buildings downtown hard to choose a favorite.

The Greenville Summit is public housing that is very dangerous. My wife's co-worker was mugged in there in the middle of the day. And she's a hospice nurse. If you even want to know about a building or part of town, ask a city cop, and tell him you want their opinion. Anyways, I think that Summit could be renovated and used as high end downtown living. Take part of the parking lot, and use it as a courtyard with pool, garden, etc. Give Greenville a taste of NYC living for sure.

• 3 years later...

Bump! We've discussed favorite highrises, post your other favorite buildings here.

I really like the design of Poinsett Corners, pictured on the right, at the corner of Broad and River Streets:

100_2962.jpg

I like all of the new buildings at CU-ICAR, but I don't have an updated picture. So here's an old shot of one of the buildings:

greenville10-17-05012.jpg

Poinsett Corners- I like the architecture, and the fact that it's a block off of Main Street (bound by River Street, Court Street, Laurens Street, and Broad Street), yet the ground floor is almost entirely retail. Not only that, but it also hides a parking garage in its interior. It's a good urban building, IMO.

As for the CU-ICAR buildings, I like their modern flair and their 'green' status. I especially like the BMW building because of its crisp and clean look from the white cladding, and I enjoy its look at night.

I like the mixed-use variety of Poinsett Corners. It fills the entire block, incorporating residential, office, retail, and hidden parking into a multifaceted and attractive design, complimenting nearby architecture and adding to the urban fabric of a revitalized downtown.

The BMW building at ICAR is appealing to me because of its clean lines and openness to its natural setting among the woods. The new graduate research building (not shown) is the most unique architectural structure in the Upstate, in my opinion. It is comparable to design seen in Barcelona, and most unusual for this part of the U.S. I love the fact that it is visible from I-85 and attractively illuminated at night.

Skyliner, we're thinking on the same page here! I think that positively endorses each other's remarks. I can't think of another building in South Carolina that achieves what Poinsett Corners does in Greenville. I'd love to hear about others, so speak up if you know of some.

The foresight by the planners and designers of this building is going to really pay off with the opening of the Courtyard by Marriott next door (though its success is not dependent on the Courtyard because I believe all the retail spaces are full and all the condos are sold. It has been successful on its own and will only increase in attractiveness with the future hotel and office space next door). How many buildings more than a block off of the beaten path are developed with such a large amount of retail space?

OK, time to mix this up a bit. :)

Most of my favorite buildings in SC are in Charleston. Here are some examples:

Charleston Place Hotel and the Shops at Charleston Place. I've not yet seen a hotel where retail is so heavily integrated on the ground level

CharlestonPlacehotel.jpg

CharlestonPlaceshops.jpg

Majestic Square. It blends in so beautifully among the other historic buildings along King Street

MajesticSquare3.jpg

St. Phillips Church. Should be self-explanatory

StPhillipsChurch.jpg

This "highrise" on Broad Street. The architecture is simple, yet elegant

BroadSthighrise2.jpg

For Greenville, I've always admired the Spring St. garage. It's so jazzy for a parking garage, and you've gotta love how it's "bookended" by condos (appropriately named The Bookends). I don't have a picture of it, but anyone that does, feel free to post it so that others who are unfamiliar with it can see what I'm talking about.

For Columbia, the Sylvan Bros. building is one of my favorites

SylvanBldg.jpg

Trinity Episcopal Church

3597195-trinity_church-Columbia.jpg

Skyliner, we're thinking on the same page here! I think that positively endorses each other's remarks. I can't think of another building in South Carolina that achieves what Poinsett Corners does in Greenville. I'd love to hear about others, so speak up if you know of some.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived