Uptown Photo tour

dubone

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, look at Northlake's roofline:

the half-arch at Metro school reminds me of Northlake so much

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree! i hadn't seen that photo. i think it is funny how some design features come into vogue and they are used everywhere. The two i happen to like that are in vogue, are the half-arch rooflines like this, and the horizontal metal awnings with cable wires for support.

anyone know what the deal is with the panels being attached to the Trade Center/Holiday Inn parking deck next to the arena? It looks like some sort of beautification project. the deck really is ugly from that angle.

anyone know what the deal is with the panels being attached to the Trade Center/Holiday Inn parking deck next to the arena? It looks like some sort of beautification project. the deck really is ugly from that angle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i can't remember which one, but that was discussed on another thread somewhere around here. that was the main reason i took that photo. i just figure that that pattern will be repeated through the rest of the deck face. It is the ugliest deck i've ever seen, and it has been in need of something for a long time. I do hope that most of the floors will be able to see through the metal mesh. On the upper floor, where they have the metal currently, it blocks the view.

• 3 weeks later...

seeing that "please don't block the driveway" sign reminds me of another old sign that maybe some of you Charlotte historians might know something about.  On the south side of E. 7th St between Caldwell and Brevard sits what looks like a very old and faded drive-in stanchion/sign that has a barely distinguishable "checker king" written on it.  It's right in front of the Central Parking sign.  Anyone know the story?

Oh and happy Easter you all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smellycat, when i went out with my camera this weekend i was sure to get a pic of your favorite old sign. i'm sure its days are numbered, even without uncc going to that block.

19908912-L.jpg

smellycat, when i went out with my camera this weekend i was sure to get a pic of your favorite old sign.  i'm sure its days are numbered, even without uncc going to that block.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Dubone! Maybe I can save it by trying to get it designated as a landmark like the houses in First Ward. Or else put it in my backyard...it would be a great conversation piece! :whistling:

lol.

i'm sure it has multiple layers of toxicity.

i think it says chicken king, rather than checker king. it wasn't that long ago that a diner-style building was next to it. i wonder why they kept the sign when they tore down the building. it certainly is a conversation piece, though.

hahaha... and citysearch still has the 7th street location on their list.

here is the only user review:

''cheap eats for college crowd

Posted by Corris on 11/21/2002

I used to eat at this place on the regular when I was in college. When I'm in Charlotte I make it a point to get a fried fish sandwhich with coleslaw on it. :)

''

Those pictures are great!

But that poor Chicken King. :(

A friend and I will periodically go ride through downtown and look to see if we see anyone walking around. We saw one cute littele lady out once with her groceries.... but then she started screaming the pledge of allegence and something else at some car that had passed by about 10 minutes prior. So much for that one :huh:

that is crazy :). i used to live in a apartment tower where the housekeeper would shout periodically at the sky. but not the pledge of allegiance.

honestly, the days where the only pedestrians downtown are homeless and mentally ill people are long gone. those individuals are still around, but there are quite a few others now.

• 2 months later...

Archived