GSP International

gvillenative

Were you expecting the retrofit to be as big as DFW or something?

Has nothing to do with size. 

I was expecting the remodel to be quality and detailed.

NUMEROUS airports smaller than GSP have the screens for the rental car companies so frequent travelers can find their name and head straight to the car.  Seems like a major overisght in the detail / quality department, especially given the percentage of travelers at GSP that are frequent business travelers. 

I used to expect more from the Greenville area.....guess I need to lower my expectations for the area.

Maybe, but it's good enough for some. That's the beauty of America. Free choice.

I used to think Greenville was a great place to live. But then I found out our airport Hertz doesn't have a #1 Club Gold Screen.

This place sucks.

Don't forget about a small area of the Hyatt having fake grass. Time to pack up and move. I'll be on the next Greyhound bus to Atlanta.

Edited by gman430

I used to think Greenville was a great place to live. But then I found out our airport Hertz doesn't have a #1 Club Gold Screen.

This place sucks.

Don't forget about a small area of the Hyatt having fake grass. Time to pack up and move. I'll be on the next Greyhound bus to Atlanta.

Lol. You guys are nuts.

Flew back into GSP today for the first time since my move.  Very disappointed in the rental car area.  Being 5 Star Gold, I was in search of a Hertz screen / board with my name.  Guess what, GSP doesn't have the electronic boards.  You still have to stand in line in the rental car office (which seem too small for any possible future growth).  :dunno:  Really, really a major oversight on GSP's part and an inconvenience to frequent travelers.  Thumbs down on this part of the remodel.  Sort of backward, to not have the screens. 

Seems to me that is something Hertz should've added to their new counter not something GSP should provide to them.

Edited by rssgvegas

Flew back into GSP today for the first time since my move.  Very disappointed in the rental car area.  Being 5 Star Gold, I was in search of a Hertz screen / board with my name.  Guess what, GSP doesn't have the electronic boards.  You still have to stand in line in the rental car office (which seem too small for any possible future growth).  :dunno:  Really, really a major oversight on GSP's part and an inconvenience to frequent travelers.  Thumbs down on this part of the remodel.  Sort of backward, to not have the screens. 

Like I said troll . . . 

Seems to me that is something Hertz should've added to their new counter not something GSP should provide to them.

My understanding is the cost for these are usually split between the airport and the rental companies.  Example in Nashville.  The airport paid for most of the cost.  All the screens look alike, work the same way, etc.  Only the rental company name and logo at the the top changes, in case a company enters or exits the market.  Again, with the amount of business travelers through GSP, this seems a true miss, especially given the fact this is the NEW and IMPROVED GSP, and these systems (screen / boards) have been around for ages.  Again, just another example of Greenville missing details lately....at one time Greenville seemed ahead of the game on details, now it just seems to be sort of laggard as regards quality details. 

Like I said troll . . . 

Do you, SCGUBERS, "EVER" contribute, positively or negatively, to discussions or do you simply go around calling people names???  You have a small 203 posts in this forum, and most are spent calling people names.  That is the small town attitude that drives people away and keeps Greenville boxed in.  You may not like my comments, you may disagree with them, but they have merit and on a free discussion board, any and all opinions are welcomed.  Feel free to put me on ignore, but PLEASE grow up and stop with the name calling.  You simply make Greenville look bad.

Do you, SCGUBERS, "EVER" contribute, positively or negatively, to discussions or do you simply go around calling people names??? You have a small 203 posts in this forum, and most are spent calling people names. That is the small town attitude that drives people away and keeps Greenville boxed in. You may not like my comments, you may disagree with them, but they have merit and on a free discussion board, any and all opinions are welcomed. Feel free to put me on ignore, but PLEASE grow up and stop with the name calling. You simply make Greenville look bad.

Speaking of "contributing", where has yours been the last year gsupstate? I sure haven't seen it. Seeing how you now live in Dallas, I am not sure why you still care what goes on here. What is this whole negativity towards Greenville lately from you REALLY all about anyways? Is it about Jim Bourey getting fired? If yes then I say get over it and move on already. Time to stop beating a dead horse and put the issue to rest already.

Edited by gman430

My understanding is the cost for these are usually split between the airport and the rental companies.  Example in Nashville.  The airport paid for most of the cost.  All the screens look alike, work the same way, etc.  Only the rental company name and logo at the the top changes, in case a company enters or exits the market.  Again, with the amount of business travelers through GSP, this seems a true miss, especially given the fact this is the NEW and IMPROVED GSP, and these systems (screen / boards) have been around for ages.  Again, just another example of Greenville missing details lately....at one time Greenville seemed ahead of the game on details, now it just seems to be sort of laggard as regards quality details. 

Not sure how that works, but it certainly isn't that way with the airlines that's for sure!

Do you, SCGUBERS, "EVER" contribute, positively or negatively, to discussions or do you simply go around calling people names???  You have a small 203 posts in this forum, and most are spent calling people names.  That is the small town attitude that drives people away and keeps Greenville boxed in.  You may not like my comments, you may disagree with them, but they have merit and on a free discussion board, any and all opinions are welcomed.  Feel free to put me on ignore, but PLEASE grow up and stop with the name calling.  You simply make Greenville look bad.

Forgive me for not taking pride in the number of posts I have written. I have not name called till tonight, often I call you out on an extremely pessimistic posts. My rebuttals are based in fact and while maybe sarcastic are moderate. If your posts were balanced, say you commended some efforts and provided constructive criticisms on others, I would fully respect your opinions. I have in the past year provided information on countless projects, something you have failed to do. It is apparent your posts are no longer respected by this forum as a whole and they will not be until you yourself look beyond the pessimistic bubble you seem to roll around in. 

Like I said troll . . . 

He does find small items and blow them up into major condemnations of Greenville, and he seems really petty.  If that's a "troll", so be it.

Assuming that he's moved (still curious as to why he hasn't posted in the Dallas forum, and why no news media reported on his alleged move), I don't miss him, either.

I'm Emerald Executive with National Car Rental and you have to stop in at the rental car desk as well instead of going straight to the lot to pick up any car you want (the latter is how it works in Charlotte and larger airports in general).  Yet it's just a small inconvenience and is still quicker than dealing with a larger airport despite having to stop at the counter, so is it worth complaining about?  No.  Would I do as gs3/gsupstate does and issue a sweeping condemnation of Greenville?  Not at all.

Edited by mallguy

Not sure how that works, but it certainly isn't that way with the airlines that's for sure!

Comparable would be the screens / service counters at the gate areas for the airlines. Ultimately, doesn't the airport pay for these, obviously out of money received from the airline for gate leases?

At the rental car counters, this is a miss. Expected more out of GSP.

Comparable would be the screens / service counters at the gate areas for the airlines. Ultimately, doesn't the airport pay for these, obviously out of money received from the airline for gate leases?

At the rental car counters, this is a miss. Expected more out of GSP.

I would think that would be comparable, but only Allegiant, Delta, and American have them at the gates.  Southwest still uses manual boards as does United and US Airways has the outdated red letter screen.  I would think if the airport was providing them all the airlines would use them.  Not sure though.

I would think that would be comparable, but only Allegiant, Delta, and American have them at the gates.  Southwest still uses manual boards as does United and US Airways has the outdated red letter screen.  I would think if the airport was providing them all the airlines would use them.  Not sure though.

With the remodel, the airport plasma screens will be at all gate area podiums, as well as all check-in counters. The airlines logo will be on the screen vs a dimensional logos on the wall. Should be a much more clean, sleek look. I would think the airport is paying. I would have assumed the same for rental car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Flew into GSP last week as an "out of towner". The first impression out of towers get is probably the rental car area. As per my previous post above about the lack of screens for elite members to quickly zip through the rental car process, the service is simply deplorable. Upon return this time, there was no worker roaming with their handheld to check the car back in. Had to go into the office and wait in line behind several people while the ONE worker took care of numerous issues. 35 minutes I counted. I know the rental car agencies are not controlled by GSP, but they are an outsiders impression of the airport and the Greenville area. The service level so far with the rental car companies at GSP gets 3 thumbs down.

When I've flown to Dallas, there is no US Airways Club at DFW (and at the time, there was no access to United lounges), so I had to wait in the main part of the airport, with the general public.  No quiet lounge, no free food, no free Wi-Fi at the time.

Would I use that experience to criticize Dallas? Of course not. 

I also rent cars from National and am an elite member but I had to stop at the counter at GSP since there is no Emerald Aisle.  So be it; it took just a few minutes.  That's the drawback--and benefit--of being in a smaller market.

gs3, take note.  No city is perfect, but everywhere has costs and benefits. You can decide to find things about Greenville that you like, and you can control how you respond to Greenville: either bashing it nonstop or deciding to be content with certain things about it.  But your constant bashing of my hometown just reflects poorly on you, not Greenville.

Edited by mallguy

Perhaps before this turns into yet another "mine is bigger and better than yours" contest between the two of you let's just nip this in the bud and spare us all the pain of unnecessary back and forth that is guaranteed to escalate into something unpleasant.  I fly weekly out of GSP and while the state of the rental car situation doesn't effect me personally (I have status with both Hertz and National), I can see how it would be tedious for someone who's coming in from out of town and used to how Hertz is generally laid out. What I haven't seen you post GS3 is whether you actually spoke to one of the managers at Hertz to make them aware of the situation.  It is indeed possible that they might have plans at some point to place a rental car board up at a future stage and perhaps not communicated it as part of the overall renovation, but if no one has bothered to ask then venting here isn't terribly efficient.  I would also suggest that if you had to stand in line for that long that you definitely should have spoken with someone there about that because only the lovely people at Hertz can do anything about long lines which are tedious no matter which city you live in.  Mallguy I can just about bet money at this point about your response to GS3 because the two of you are as predictable as the weather in Portland.  Is it possible that you can respond to his points without reacting as though he called your mom a nasty name?  We're all big boys and girls here, so let's act like it.  I agree that constant negativity is a drag and you are correct that perhaps due to cost that certain things were not implemented but I refer you back to my earlier statement of actually asking someone at Hertz because unless you have this is all pointless speculation. 

K

I have a lot of admiration and respect for gs3.  My post was intended to be helpful to him: to help him work though his distaste for Greenville and perhaps find contentment.  It was not meant to be argumentative, as I like gs3 a lot.

If this is how you behave with people you like, then I shudder to think what you're like with someone that you dislike.  The threads are full of posts between not just the two of you but several of you snapping at each other like rabid dogs.  The drawback to the internet is that the reader doesn't have the ability to discern either tone or intent and can only go by how your words come across.  I am far from the only person that has mentioned this or said something about it, so it's not just a perception thing with me alone.  As I mentioned in my previous post you both make valid points but it gets lost in the snippy responses.  I'm not saying that you have to hold hands and skip through a field of daisies but you were the one who pointed out what Dallas's National didn't have, which while true doesn't have a thing to do with GSP and thus begins the derailment of the thread.

If this is how you behave with people you like, then I shudder to think what you're like with someone that you dislike...you were the one who pointed out what Dallas's National didn't have, which while true doesn't have a thing to do with GSP and thus begins the derailment of the thread.

It's important to take people's words at face value.

My point re: Dallas was that its airport didn't meet my frequent-flying needs, just as GSP didn't meet gs3's needs. But having unmet needs at an airport does not mean that a person just has to condemn an entire city due to a situation at an airport. 

Plus while GSP's smallness may mean that it won't have all of the things that frequent fliers expect, such as elite-friendly setups at car rental agencies, it also won't have all of the hassles that frequent fliers expect at larger airports.  So it's a tradeoff.

My advice to gs3, meant in friendship, is that a person can decide to be content with any situation, or can decide to react negatively.  Whether or not the situation is perfect or not, one can control how one reacts to it, and reacting negatively to everything about a city reflects on the person more than the city.

I am from Greenville and my family has been there since the 1800s.  I decided that it's not the place for me, and so I moved.  Yet I focus on the many great things that Greenville has and like the place quite a bit and enjoy my trips there, which are very frequent (every few weeks).  gs3 could try doing that as well.  Attitude is everything.

It's important to take people's words at face value.

My point re: Dallas was that its airport didn't meet my frequent-flying needs, just as GSP didn't meet gs3's needs. But having unmet needs at an airport does not mean that a person just has to condemn an entire city due to a situation at an airport. 

Plus while GSP's smallness may mean that it won't have all of the things that frequent fliers expect, such as elite-friendly setups at car rental agencies, it also won't have all of the hassles that frequent fliers expect at larger airports.  So it's a tradeoff.

My advice to gs3, meant in friendship, is that a person can decide to be content with any situation, or can decide to react negatively.  Whether or not the situation is perfect or not, one can control how one reacts to it, and reacting negatively to everything about a city reflects on the person more than the city.

I am from Greenville and my family has been there since the 1800s.  I decided that it's not the place for me, and so I moved.  Yet I focus on the many great things that Greenville has and like the place quite a bit and enjoy my trips there, which are very frequent (every few weeks).  gs3 could try doing that as well.  Attitude is everything.

"Plus while GSP's smallness may mean that it won't have all of the things that frequent fliers expect, such as elite-friendly setups at car rental agencies, it also won't have all of the hassles that frequent fliers expect at larger airports.  So it's a tradeoff."

Fair point but how do we know that GSP isn't planning to implement some of the things expected from frequent flyers? Has anyone asked....that was and is my central point.  It's possible that they won't but it's certainly worth asking or pointing out to the appropriate people.

"I am from Greenville and my family has been there since the 1800s.  I decided that it's not the place for me, and so I moved.  Yet I focus on the many great things that Greenville has and like the place quite a bit and enjoy my trips there, which are very frequent (every few weeks).  gs3 could try doing that as well.  Attitude is everything."

I moved here for university and decided to make Greenville my home in the same way that you decided that it was better for your needs to leave and I think it's fantastic that you have as much love for the city as you do (I think we all do) but your response was going to cause him to come back at you defensively which causes other folks to jump in to the fray and we're off to the races.  If you want to give him an attitude adjustment that's up to you but does it have to be part of the thread.  If the two of you are friends, then pick up the phone or email him and tell him to suck it up...lol.  With that being said I'm going to take my own advice and not clutter up the thread with our discussion, feel free to pm me and we can continue our discussion ;o)

• 4 weeks later...

Starting this fall, the single daily Southwest flight to Orlando will become seasonal only.

As per this previous post, you can no longer book GSP-MCO flights after September on Southwest. Also, lots of rumblings that GSP-BNA may be discontinued permanently as the load factors have continued to perform below expectations.