GSP International

gvillenative

The grand hall is coming along nicely. Looks fantastic so far. Didn't realize there was still a lot of work left to do on the concourses also. 

I could be wrong but I thought somebody said Caribou Coffee and was no longer available. I definitely saw it for sale at Thomas Creek and one of the food stands this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Jet-set said:

That's odd talking about PSA "eyeing" GSP and "finalizing a deal."  PSA has been hiring for a couple months now for GSP and they still list multiple positions available.  By mid August AA has GSP-CLT go almost exclusively all PSA CRJ 7 & 900.   This deal has been locked down for quite sometime.  Odd the story acts likes it's not even a done deal yet.   http://www.psaairlines.com/careers/careers/

• Like 1

GSP commissioners pause on car pod transportation from economy lot to terminal

"The brakes have been put on GSP’s plan to acquire a driverless, technology-controlled personal rapid transit system (PRT). Greenville-Spartanburg Airport commissioners agreed to pause on a decision for a more-than $24 million, battery powered, pod car system that would transport travelers from the economy parking lot to the terminal in 5-7 minutes, according to Peter Muller, PRT Consulting.

..."

On 7/12/2016 at 11:56 PM, bikeoid said:

GSP commissioners pause on car pod transportation from economy lot to terminal

"The brakes have been put on GSP’s plan to acquire a driverless, technology-controlled personal rapid transit system (PRT). Greenville-Spartanburg Airport commissioners agreed to pause on a decision for a more-than $24 million, battery powered, pod car system that would transport travelers from the economy parking lot to the terminal in 5-7 minutes, according to Peter Muller, PRT Consulting.

..."

Not according to this article from GSA from July 18th. http://gsabusiness.com//news/aerospace/airport-identifies-bidders-for-prt-project/

Says bids are still on going and price is an important consideration. 

However, I must say, that as much of a cool factor as this would be, (especially for GSP) it makes more sense to me to spend the money on trying to get more direct service for the airport. I think airports like GSP often try to lure service by putting up "insurance funds" for airlines so that if traffic does not meet expectation they will not lose money. I say, set some of this money up and push some airlines to start some new routes, Denver, Vegas, LAX, Boston, Miami, for example. I dunno, seems worth a try to me. With the insurance from GSP, the airlines would not have anything to lose, and I feel confident that these routes would do fine anyways, and stop some of the bleeding traffic to other airports.   

from meeting minutes March 2016:

Mr. Edwards and Mr. Burch focused on two things in DC. One was the Air Traffic Control Tower and the second was funding for exit lanes. The FAA desires to do a seismic project on the existing tower which was originally slated for $4.5 – 5 million project and has now turned into a $9 -10 million project. The hard cost when we were looking at a new Air Traffic Control Tower was about $16 million excluding equipment costs. We have engaged our members in DC to help to transfer the funds from the seismic pot to a new construction pot. Senator Graham’s office is taking the lead from an appropriations language standpoint.

• Like 1

Speaking to what distortedlogic said, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. With one addition, another great location to add would be SeaTac. It would be awesome to have a non-stop to Seattle. I have traveled this route quite a few times and I honestly believe there is a good enough base to support it. Most of the time when I fly back to Seattle most of the people on the plane with me at GSP are on the way there as well. Charleston has a non stop on Alaska Airlines, if we are ever going to compete for traffic and routes, they need to go against the grain and do something that hasn't been done before, i.e. regular scheduled flights to the awe inspiring Pacific Northwest. Before y'all dissect this, I know we are talking about adding routes with existing airlines, or at least in the comment I was responding to. I was just stating an example. Furthermore adding Alaska Airlines would be nice too. It could open up more markets to us, in my humble opinion.

Edited by gvillenative
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see a direct to Boston, Toronto, Denver, and LA. LA is pipe dream, but not out of the question. With as many magazines and articles that come up for how awesome Greenville is, why the hell you don't have more destinations is a loss for me. Maybe instead of the people pods, put the money aside for JetBlue or Air Canada Express / WestJet. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
23 hours ago, gman430 said:

Several things like Baskin Robbins, Dunkin Donuts, and Hudson are now open in the Grand Hall: 

Thanks for the link. I haven't been to the airport recently to see anything, but the video looks pretty good, almost like a real airport. I imagine this is about the most impressive section? Now we just need some flights to go with our updated airport...

Gman, have you seen the latest passenger stats? The website only has through July up.  

10 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Thanks for the link. I haven't been to the airport recently to see anything, but the video looks pretty good, almost like a real airport. I imagine this is about the most impressive section? Now we just need some flights to go with our updated airport...

Gman, have you seen the latest passenger stats? The website only has through July up.  

I should receive the latest passenger stats around November 21st. That's when the next commission meeting is. 

12 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Hudson and Dunkin Donuts has been open for months.

4 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

Incorrect.  The Hudson News/Tech on the Go and the Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins in the new grand hall opened Saturday, Oct 29th.

Yep. I think apaladin is getting this Dunkin Donuts mixed up with the one next to the baggage carousels. 

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

That's never my thought when flying into any airports with a Dunkin (insert list of almost every decent sized airport in the US). If they're that ignorant, is a green cup going to change that? Can't believe I wasted my time clicking on this topic.

Charlotte does not have a Dunkin Donuts; its has Starbucks all around.