GSP International

gvillenative

1 hour ago, mallguy said:

Yes, and I was curious about it so I researched the company's target demographic.  It's rural people who like hunting and fishing.  It's trying to move more into the mainstream, but that's its target.

Cabela's sells high quality fishing and hunting gear. It"s not cheap and definetly not targeted towards the low income. Orvis, which is located downtown, also targets fishermen and is also not cheap. Whats the difference? Both are great stores and we're lucky to have them here. 

• Like 2

On November 10, 2016 at 6:10 PM, mallguy said:

This thread is getting ridiculous.  Big picture: planners should keep aesthetics and creating a positive image of Greenville as a well-educated, nice city (which it is) in mind.  No neon, Trump signs, trashy businesses, anything that is rednecky, etc. along main entryways into town.

Don't feel that I'm 'rednecky'....from the 'basket of deplorables'. It that the same?n

3 hours ago, SVL said:

Cabela's sells high quality fishing and hunting gear. It"s not cheap and definetly not targeted towards the low income. Orvis, which is located downtown, also targets fishermen and is also not cheap. Whats the difference? Both are great stores and we're lucky to have them here. 

Apparently Mallguy has not visited Cabela's....I challenge him to do so. As evidenced by my user name, I work there. Greenville is most fortunate to have this fine retail store....there's nothing like it in the area. We have shoppers from all over SC, western NC, eastern GA. Lots of shoppers traveling through the area from many states visit the store. It is a magnet store for attracting visitors to Greenville. I've met some retired couples that moved to Greenville because of the store. There are MANY shoppers that like to fish, camp, hunt, hike...use guns/buy ammo. Most shoppers are NOT rednecks...many professionals as doctors, lawyers, educators, engineers, architects, county & city officials, etc. shop there. Many people enjoy the outdoors....buy expensive fishing gear, smokers, grills,etc. Frankly, I could care less what a CEO from NY thinks about seeing a Cabela's here...it's a great venue for people to shop, have fun, & enjoy a beautiful store in a beautiful city.

BTW... Cabela's was not recruited to come to Greenville...they wanted to have a location here!

Edited by cabelagent
  • Like 4

First Time Poster: 

I think the one thing we should all be proud of is the fact that our airport is near the end of a major renovation that has vastly improved the space. Before this renovation, there were no options available to anyone flying into or out of the airport. The finished space is a much better "welcome" to people traveling here for the first time than what was there five years ago....even with a Dunkin Doughnuts. One improvement that I think the airport could work towards that would be great is a viewing area where people can watch planes take off and land. When I have free time in CLT, i enjoy being able to visit their overlook/park and watch the runways. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Nice catch. That's correct. About 5 to 7 took off in short increments while waiting to board.  They were Air Force with 'GA' tail signs. They looked like E-8's based on a quick google search.  Not sure if this is typical at GSP but good to see the extra activity anyway

On 12/7/2016 at 9:51 AM, green3 said:

Nice catch. That's correct. About 5 to 7 took off in short increments while waiting to board.  They were Air Force with 'GA' tail signs. They looked like E-8's based on a quick google search.  Not sure if this is typical at GSP but good to see the extra activity anyway

It is not uncommon for military planes to fly into and out of GSP. Not sure if they do anymore, but there used to be a C-17 shuttle fly through every month on a loop from Dobbins to Charleston AFB. Also boarded a C17 there to go on an Annual Tour to California for the reserves. Furthermore I have seen military planes of all sizes either fly out of GSP or parked when I was flying out.

On 12/6/2016 at 7:51 PM, green3 said:

Actually it was the same plane just circling around doing touch and gos.  Military planes do that all the time at GSP.  They'll circle back a few times then fly off.   They never actually land there.

Edited by rssgvegas

• 5 weeks later...

I really like the new Remodel and it's not even done yet. We've been growing fast as it has been for a while now but something tells me the floodgates are really about to open. All of that residential downtown has to mean something and with all of the turbulence and changes politically and economically that are coming I can't see Greenville not being a city that would benefit from fall out whether it be negative or positive. Kind of like a stockbroker that knows how to make money when the market goes up and the market goes down. I don't think this is the last project we will see at the airport. I think fairly soon there will be an expansion needed. My money is on 5 to 10 years before a major expansion. Up until now I kind of understand why no more big projects the size of BMW have come in. Something tells me that's about to change and some more big things will happen which will require the airport to grow. All of course based on nothing and I just like to share my opinion every once in awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the total for 2016 was 2,018,318 passengers, so it marks the first time ever that the airport has recorded over the 2mm mark. Some growth, but well behind that of CHS which is exploding and adding planes and new routes. It recorded over 3.7 mm, and is adding a new Denver flight and a seasonal St Louis flight on SW. SW has been for CHS what we hoped it would be for GSP. It just seems SW has been a pretty big disappointment for GSP. We're better with it course, it just hasn't delivered what we hoped.

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

American Airlines has announced service from GSP to ORD starting July 5th.  Not a new destination for GSP, but part of what looks to be the beginning of a turf war between UA and AA at ORD with both airlines announcing expansion plans there.  Always a good thing for consumers.  Flight times and fleet type have not been announced yet for this service.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/03/10/battle-ohare-american-expands-chicago-route-map/99000902/

23 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

Looks like initially it will be once a day service on an EMB-145 operated by Envoy Air.  Departing GSP at 8am and arriving at night at 9pm.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:10 PM, distortedlogic said:

Didn't realize that, Orlando would make sense. Carry on...

That's a tiny jet. Wouldn't it make more sense to make an existing flight larger?

It makes sense if they are wanting  to apply a little pressure on routes that they don't fly. That plane is either the same size or just a bit smaller than what United flies on the same route. I like the idea of having more competition on that route as it may drop the prices a bit. 

Edited by sptgguy