GSP International

gvillenative

On 3/12/2017 at 1:54 AM, rssgvegas said:

Looks like initially it will be once a day service on an EMB-145 operated by Envoy Air.  Departing GSP at 8am and arriving at night at 9pm.

AA has now loaded the flights in their system.  They are going with 3 flights a day on EMB-145's operated by Envoy Air.  Departing GSP 8:10am, 10:05am, and 6:20pm.  Flights arrive at 9:35am, 5:35pm, and 9pm.  During this time United will be running 4 flights a day to ORD.  The 6:40am and 5:23pm departures will be on EMB-175's and the 10:17am and 2pm departures will be on 145's.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What a poorly written/edited article. Incredible the amount of misteaks, airrors, and dis-jointed pieces that get published these days. 

Back on topic: Every flight I board to/from GSP is packed to the gills. One has to imagine there is plenty of demand for more direct flights other than to ATL and CLT. A lot of people I talk to still drive to one or the other; GSP is going to have to step up their advertising game if they want to achieve the kind of passenger numbers mentioned. 

Jet-set...I agree with you. GSP has got to pump more money into advertising in the upstate region and in showing off the advantages of flying into and out of GSP instead of ATL or CLT. I also think that the airport (it may be doing this already) should look at possibly cutting back the fees it is charging airlines to drop the prices more. 

If GSP were to...

1)  Make sure it is cheaper than ATL/CLT (it is slightly more expensive the times I have looked)

2) Played up the convenience factor of flying from here instead of driving to CLT/ATL

3) Worked with airlines to bring in more flights (even the Mon, Wed, Fri flights would be better) to new locations...IE...connect GSP to the AA hub in Miami. 

4) Seriously sit down with airlines and local companies that need flights to Canada and start an international flight once or twice a week. 

Just some thoughts 

• Like 1

I agree with you guys as well. The CLT/ATL bleeding is still pervasive, and always will be to some extent, but we aren't able to make a lot of headway due to our lack of options. I bet that at least 65% of people flying from the upstate go to the other 2 airports simply because of direct flight options. While GSP will never compete with them, there are a few routes that could really soak up some of that bleeding. Miami you mentioned, but LAX, Denver, Boston, and even places like Vegas, should be shoo-ins. I know they have tried to get these routes for sometime; Frontier turned them down a couple years ago for a Denver flight. It's too bad SW doesn't offer more from GSP, they have really been a boon for RDU and Charleston, but just didn't work here, which is not really a good sign. 

As for International, I remember there was an announcement if the late 90s for a scheduled Toronto flight, but it was scraped right before it was supposed to start. I don;t remember any serious rumblings since, but remember reading an article a couple years ago where Dave said they were trying to get routes to places like Germany, France, London, Mexico City, and even China, as all these are apparently popular destinations from GSP boarding passengers. Sounds like no-one has bitten. I would think that a Mexico and Colombia flight would be possible though, with all Hispanics in the area moving from those countries. And France and Germany make good sense just based on the companies here. It seems like a couple of years ago there were a lot of ads and radio spots about "Think GSP First" but those don;t really seem to be around much anymore, so another advertising campaign might be helpful, but it's going to take some new routes to really open things up. As I've said before, RDU would be a wonderful model for GSP, similar sized CSA with solid growth. Yes, I know it's not apples to apples, but we have a lot going for us as well. They have about 11 MM per year though, to our 2MM, and they have about 3-4 times as many routes with a couple of international ones as well. Their offering of flights would really give upstate residents the ability to use our own airport for most needs without having to travel and would even draw from nearby areas, so I have no doubt the airlines would be profitable. 

As for plane size, I agree that the tiny regional jets ( I think they seat like 40) are a bit of a pain, and not made for people over about 5'3". I would take them though if it meant adding some direct routes to new places.  

Edited by distortedlogic

I never really think of RDU...but your right, its a good airport to look at.  I still think the best option for starting international would be for the airport to find/support Air Canada due to the large number of companies that have a significant foot print here and in the Toronto region. An E175 would have the range...and I think based on comments read here and other forums the appropriate number of seats. Distorted...I also agree with the other airports mentioned, even if it is just to tie into another hub directly (such as Miami). It would offer a new direct flight from GSP and would give people flying from GSP a greater number of options with connecting flights.If we could swing a flight through Miami (and its connections into the Carribean for vacation via American) and Boston (and its connections via Delta) that would be GREAT. 

This is about the only time I wish Greenville was farther north.   A narrowbody airliner  would be ideal for a GSP to Europe flight.  Take the proposed A321LR, it has a ~4000 nm range.  That  probably gets you to Scottland, and maybe London   GSP to Munich would be great, but with a distance of just over 4000 nm, the west bound leg is going to be a challenge for any narrowbody in the near term.  

At the January 2017 Board Meeting, the Commission approved moving forward with a third parking garage project. The third garage will be a combination public parking garage and a new consolidated rental car center with ready/return spaces and a quick turnaround (QTA) facility. Staff prepared a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) to select a planning, design and consulting firm/team for the project.

The RFQ document outlined the requirements for proposers to submit statements of qualifications (SOQs). The RFQ included a minimum requirement for interested teams to have completed at least one (1) CONRAC facility in the past ten (10) years, and two (2) public parking garage projects in the past five (5) years.

SOQs were received from the following five (5) firms/teams (prime firms listed below alphabetically).

Coover-Clark & Associates, Inc.

Gresham, Smith and Partners

LS3P

Michael Baker International

Walker Parking Consultants

The Evaluation Committee shortlisted Gresham, Smith and Partners and LS3P for presentations and interviews. 

May 8, 2017. Approval of the final rankings is required by policy for Staff to negotiate and execute a contract with the successful offeror.

ISSUES

In accordance with administrative policy, it is Staff’s role to conduct the solicitation process and make a recommendation of a final ranking to the Commission. The Commission has final approval of the ranking.

Upon approval of the final rankings, Staff will attempt to negotiate an agreement with the highest ranked team. In the event that an agreement cannot be reached with the highest ranked team, Staff will formally terminate the negotiations and proceed to negotiate with the next highest ranked team.

ALTERNATIVES

No alternatives are recommended at this time.

FISCAL IMPACT

Approval of the final ranking itself does not have a direct fiscal impact. As part of the negotiations with the parking garage consultant, Staff will be negotiating a fee and scope agreement. The current capital project budgeted for this project is $40,000,000.

RECOMMENDED ACTION

It is respectfully requested that the Airport Commission resolve to (1) approve the final rankings for the Professional Planning, Design and Consulting Services on the Combined Public Parking Garage and CONRAC Project; (2) authorize Staff to negotiate and finalize agreements with the highest ranked firm/team (if an acceptable agreement cannot be reached with the highest ranked firm/team, negotiations will be formally terminated and will then proceed with the next ranked firm/team); and (3) authorize the President/CEO to execute all necessary documents. 

Edited by gman430

Did the airport not just redo the rental car facilities located in the garage directly across from baggage claim? I can't say that I follow the rental car numbers at all...are they so busy they need to expand again? It just seems that the airport keeps redoing what it has just done in regards to car rentals. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GSP just updated the passenger stats on the website. May came in + 6% over last May at 189,991 total passengers, or + 10,756 over last year's total. Looks like the all-time monthly record form what I can see. Historically, October is the busiest month, but between now and November should all be big months. Looks like we'll add to the highest ever total form last year. Maybe Gman can find load factors? I know the 3 daily flights to Chicago were added on American this month. If these increases continue, one would think more flights or even routes could be in the cards... they would have to be eventually right? 

23 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

GSP just updated the passenger stats on the website. May came in + 6% over last May at 189,991 total passengers, or + 10,756 over last year's total. Looks like the all-time monthly record form what I can see. Historically, October is the busiest month, but between now and November should all be big months. Looks like we'll add to the highest ever total form last year. Maybe Gman can find load factors? I know the 3 daily flights to Chicago were added on American this month. If these increases continue, one would think more flights or even routes could be in the cards... they would have to be eventually right? 

The commission meeting was today but they didn't upload the files that show the load factors on their website. :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Frontier announced huge expansion today, including 21 New cities, with Charleston and Knoxville among them. Charleston was already getting Denver service through SW and I can see that one, but Knoxville? An airport that has less passengers than GSP. GSP has tried for sometime to get Frontier to Denver but to no avail. I am not understanding that one. RDU continues to grow in leaps and bounds and will add Frontier to Reno, Providence, and Kansas City.  Why aren't we getting more service? We have shown we can support new service with Independence, Vision, Allegiant, and SW. 

Edited by distortedlogic

Here is a link to an article from March 2013 when US Air and American merged. Dave was pretty optimistic about some new service, talks about Allegiant being interested in starting back it's Vegas flight and maybe more routes. Also says he likes the chances of a Miami and Mexico flights to be added later that year or by 2014. Obviously didn't happen. I think I will send the writer an email to see if he can get an update on this. 

Article

Here is a response I got from a Frontier Rep I emailed about GSP  - sounds promising,

"Thank you for contacting Frontier Airlines.

Your Feedback Matters!
I appreciate the time you've taken to share your feedback with us. We are always looking for ways to enhance our customer experience and we can only do that with your help. We hope one day to serve this airport in the near future. Be assured we have made your comments available to the Marketing department for review.

Thank you for your suggestion and we look forward to welcoming you on Frontier in the near future.

Kindly,

Reed
Customer Relations
Frontier Airlines"

And here is a response I got from a GSP rep;

"

We are still working to add new cities, especially to the west coast. We don’t have an update yet. But we hope to be able to add a new service in 2018. No promises.

Thanks for asking and thanks for being a GSP customer."

Edited by distortedlogic

27 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Here is a response I got from a Frontier Rep I emailed about GSP  - sounds promising,

"Thank you for contacting Frontier Airlines.

Your Feedback Matters!
I appreciate the time you've taken to share your feedback with us. We are always looking for ways to enhance our customer experience and we can only do that with your help. We hope one day to serve this airport in the near future. Be assured we have made your comments available to the Marketing department for review.

Thank you for your suggestion and we look forward to welcoming you on Frontier in the near future.

Kindly,

Reed
Customer Relations
Frontier Airlines"

And here is a response I got from a GSP rep;

"

We are still working to add new cities, especially to the west coast. We don’t have an update yet. But we hope to be able to add a new service in 2018. No promises.

Thanks for asking and thanks for being a GSP customer."

Wish they'd add more direct flights to visit Mickey (Orlando).  Wife & I going in October...had to book direct flights from Charlotte. Don't care to fly through Detroit on return. Hated to do it...wanted to see the new stuff at GSP.

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

So you're going to drive to CLT, go through all the stuff there, then a flight, get through that airport, and rent a car? I would drive it man.

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

So you're going to drive to CLT, go through all the stuff there, then a flight, get through that airport, and rent a car? I would drive it man.

Wife wants to fly....arranged shuttles for transp. everywhere since we're lodging in the park. 

13 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Wife wants to fly....arranged shuttles for transp. everywhere since we're lodging in the park. 

Gotchya. Have to go with the wifey for sure!:P

On 7/21/2017 at 10:11 PM, distortedlogic said:

Here is a link to an article from March 2013 when US Air and American merged. Dave was pretty optimistic about some new service, talks about Allegiant being interested in starting back it's Vegas flight and maybe more routes. Also says he likes the chances of a Miami and Mexico flights to be added later that year or by 2014. Obviously didn't happen. I think I will send the writer an email to see if he can get an update on this. 

Already got a response from the writer, said he would look into an update on Monday. 

On 7/21/2017 at 11:02 PM, cabelagent said:

Wish they'd add more direct flights to visit Mickey (Orlando).  Wife & I going in October...had to book direct flights from Charlotte. Don't care to fly through Detroit on return. Hated to do it...wanted to see the new stuff at GSP.

I get emails all the time from Allegiant about their low fairs and direct flights to Orlando and other Florida destinations.

8 hours ago, apaladin said:

I get emails all the time from Allegiant about their low fairs and direct flights to Orlando and other Florida destinations.

You can count number of direct flights to Orlando on one hand....using 3 fingers. Hopefully more direct flights can be added in near future.