GSP International

gvillenative

Am I the only one that doesn't see how $100+ million was spent on Wingspan?  I realize airport construction is specialized and operations are ongoing the entire time, but all I see is upgraded finishes and  rearranged functions.  Did the footprint of the building change at all?  The new garage cost probably what $25 mm?  

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Am I the only one that doesn't see how $100+ million was spent on Wingspan?  I realize airport construction is specialized and operations are ongoing the entire time, but all I see is upgraded finishes and  rearranged functions.  Did the footprint of the building change at all?  The new garage cost probably what $25 mm?  

I believe the building footprint did change on the concourse B side. The future garage C is separate from WingSpan and the $100 million cost. Here is everything that was included:

E96F0F0B-496E-49E7-B25C-EB271FA263D2.jpeg

Edited by gman430

Has this pic now become post-apocalyptic fiction?

Seriously, though, I have to wonder how much traffic GSP bleeds to CLT. It's just flat-out easy to get up here if you live in Spartanburg, much less further northeast, and there's a good chance you're going to go to CLT, anyway. Whatever the case, driving to CLT eliminates ATL from the equation, which is always a plus, even with CLT's current deficiencies.

GSP may have fallen into the same kind of trap that CAE seemed to be in when Southwest initiated service at two ends of SC, but not in the middle.  Sandwiched between two fortress hubs and with a genuine tourist area nearby already served by an airport (AVL). PTI--um... Central NC Int'l Airport--isn't in that situation, nor is TYS (Knoxville) or BHM.

It seems to me that Greenville is, route-wise, caught in a bit of a catch 22: Greenville's attractions are steady but non-explosive growth, culture, walkable downtown, etc., but, given the proximity of CLT and ATL, the route diversity we want probably has as a prerequisite something closer to explosive growth that would impair or negate Greenville's attractions.

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 10.10.58 AM.png

Edited by Exile

I was about to say we should start a bet to see which happens first, that picture or a 30 story building DT, but then I realized none of us would be around to see how it ends. :whistling:

11 hours ago, NBNY2GRNVL said:

Asheville to Denver is a no brainer. Lotsa marijuana will flow through there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's funny right there. :lol:

16 hours ago, apaladin said:

So he left Asheville and now Asheville is adding flights. He came to Greenville and Greenville is not adding any flights. Am I missing something here?

As I recall he did really well at AVL, and they got a lot of new service. He came here during the height of the recession, but I would have thought we would have seen at least some expansion by now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Commission report out today. Jan traffic increased 6.8 percent , or by 10,000 to 154k. But, load factors down to 72%, both of the above due mainly to AA s increase in routes last year. SW load factor increased 4% but still only at 60%. I think that would do away with any possibility of them expanding again, though I still maintain ATL is probably the least useful route they could provide. No stats on Feb, not sure why it takes them so long to get numbers out.  No news about any possible new routes...

Edited by distortedlogic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well some growth, but to an existing destination. Who will pull the trigger on something new?

Feb stats are out, traffic up 8% over last Feb; 145,289 vs 134,508.

First  two months traffic is up 7.4%, or + 20,635 passengers to   299,778. Last Jan/Feb actually fell 1.55% from 2016. The main difference is probably the AA flights added last year, with these new Delta flights we look to set another record this year. Come on new routes, let's open up the floodgates! :good:

I am hoping those talks from last year will result in 1-2 flights a day to Miami with American.  Does anyone know if GSP offers any kind of incentives to the airlines for new routes and service?  Can Greenville/Spartanburg county/city pony up for new rout incentives?? I would think both Greenville and Spartanburg would benefit from a connection to Denver or the West Coast. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A TON of info in this commission report. Unfortunately, only blurb about new routes was that the airport is still actively pursuing some. The county and region growth projections are waaaay off though, page 40 shows 2025 estimate for Greenville county at 518k and just 542 by 2030. It passed 506 last year and is probably @ 513 today.  May be 570 by 2025. 

Anyway, I can't figure out why it takes GSP so long to get their stats on their website. Still just shows Feb. CAE already has stats through April.

Good steady growth though through March, good to see.

Edited by distortedlogic

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 11:39 PM, distortedlogic said:

Can  you add some detail? The makeover, the number of people, what? More info please!

It really looks nice and loved all the new gifts shops(Hudson News) not just kiosks, and restaurants. I think Hudson now has 4 shops now. Chick-fil-a and 2 Dunkin' Donuts among others. I ate breakfast at Wolfgang Pucks and really enjoyed it. The boarding area is now just one open space and you can walk from one end to the other which is a haul. I flew Southwest and the flight was full coming and going and on the return flight from Atlanta there was about 10 people on a waiting list to come to GVL. I wish Southwest would give us better service destinations, not just Atlanta. I remember going Las Vegas and flying twice to Houston from GSP and and twice to Chicago from GSP and those flights were all full or near capacity. I sure would like a direct flight to LV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Charter for BMW I assume??? 

Yeah, kinda cool to see. Need some more GSP, let's go!

On 5/29/2018 at 3:22 PM, apaladin said:

It really looks nice and loved all the new gifts shops(Hudson News) not just kiosks, and restaurants. I think Hudson now has 4 shops now. Chick-fil-a and 2 Dunkin' Donuts among others. I ate breakfast at Wolfgang Pucks and really enjoyed it. The boarding area is now just one open space and you can walk from one end to the other which is a haul. I flew Southwest and the flight was full coming and going and on the return flight from Atlanta there was about 10 people on a waiting list to come to GVL. I wish Southwest would give us better service destinations, not just Atlanta. I remember going Las Vegas and flying twice to Houston from GSP and and twice to Chicago from GSP and those flights were all full or near capacity. I sure would like a direct flight to LV. 

Thanks for the detail, I need to go check it out. Last few times I've flown out west though and and hard to get there from GSP.