GSP International

gvillenative

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

They are also starting mainline to Charlotte in October out of GSP.

That's great; thanks for sharing!  I flew GSP-CLT-AVL (believe it or not) and since the CLT-AVL flight was mainline, it left out of the C concourse and so it didn't require 15 minutes of taxiing around the airport to get to the E concourse.  So mainline should be much faster.

The only downside is that the regional jets have 12 first class seats but some mainline planes have only 8.

• 2 weeks later...

So just a couple of thoughts after flying from AVL the first time...

My, what a tiny airport. I am shocked at how much traffic and how many options AVL has for an airport with just 7 gates. I understand AVL is up for a renovation and expansion and it is definitely needed. I mean the airport was clean and easy and all, nothing wrong with it, it is just time for a renovation/expansion. I understand AVL is a tourist area and all but I am amazed that they have been able to get the amount of service they have with such a small airport. It kinda makes me question the whole idea of airlines being attracted to newer bigger airports; ie, did Wingspan help GSP get any new service? Allegiant even has a small base at AVL. Easy in/out airport!

I got the feeling that many people on the flight were actually from or visiting the upstate. I heard one family talking about visiting their family in SC (Greenville) and they are planning on moving here in the next few months. I also overheard people talking about the upstate and mentions of several towns going both directions. I wonder how many people from the flight were from the upstate and the usual percentage of upstate passengers using AVL. This was an Allegiant flight to Denver and MUCH cheaper than United's flight from GSP. Anyway, I guess it's the old bleed problem, people willing to travel for cheaper fares which makes it seem like the home airport has less demand.

Allegiant; my first time... fine, no problems. Almost a carbon copy of Frontier which I am good with. I wish Allegiant would expand here, maybe they could give us some of those elusive destinations, but I guess we're not touristy enough. Sigh!

It's funny that you noticed so many upstate comments during your travel. I'm always struck by how many people are on my flights to/from GSP with the ultimate destination in NC. I guess it depends on where one is headed. More business-oriented destinations are probably going to offer more frequent service out of GSP, giving travelers more options. When I was in DC traveling to and from GSP, there were always a very healthy NC contingent on board. The bleed absolutely happens both ways. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

At least half of this document gives a complete rundown of the planned PRT system: https://gspairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/GSP-Commission-Package-July-2022-FINAL-v2.pdf

Couple notes on traffic; GSP continues to recover towards pre pandemic levels but a bit below the national average. Looks like May with just over 200k so that is positive.  12 month moving talley was just over 2.1MM; recall 2019 was over 2.6 MM. Surprised to see that cargo continues to be just a tick lower from last year; supply chain issues?

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

Don’t forget that a lot of those flights out of Asheville especially on Allegiant are seasonal and only fly a few days a week. The GSP-Denver is daily and year round. Makes it a lot easier for people that have to fly on a schedule. 

Good points, but be that as it may, they have your Boston flights with 3 different airlines; AA, Allegiant,  and yes, JetBlue. They also have destinations like Minneapolis and Vegas. Here is their schedule for August. 

https://flyavl.com/flight_schedule/august-2

Also just flew out of AVL on one of the direct flights to Boston.

This was the first time in my entire life where there was literally no more parking spots at the airport.  People were parked all over the place in the parking lot. On the grass, all over the curbs, in aisle ways. It was extremely chaotic. I'm glad that I gave myself some extra time before my flight. Hopefully my car is still there when I get back.

Between the parking situation, large and new terminals and lounge access, GVL is just galaxies ahead of AVL. 

Edited by NewlyUpstate

12 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Also just flew out of AVL on one of the direct flights to Boston.

This was the first time in my entire life where there was literally no more parking spots at the airport.  People were parked all over the place in the parking lot. On the grass, all over the curbs, in aisle ways. It was extremely chaotic. I'm glad that I gave myself some extra time before my flight. Hopefully my car is still there when I get back.

Between the parking situation, large and new terminals and lounge access, GVL is just galaxies ahead of AVL. 

When I returned it was the same way, the terminal was packed with no where for anyone else and there was a ton of traffic getting out; way too much for an airport that size.

I agree that GSP is way ahead... in everything but flight options unfortunately. Asheville has been adding way more routes the past few years; COVID aside, and the traffic counts are rapidly catching up to GSPs. GSP used to have double the passengers (just a few years ago); it is now down to about 30% more. The 12 month rolling total for GSP was 2.1MM, the total for AVL was 1.65MM, so it is quickly catching up. And we're talking about the GSA CSA being 3 times the size of Asheville's. 

21 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I wonder if the lack of gate space at GSP has something to do with there not being new service added lately? 

That apparently hasn't stopped AVL from getting new service; 7 gates total!

They have 24 destinations listed in their August schedule (4 more than GSP), some of those are seasonal, many on Allegiant only, but still...

Here's the entire AVL airport

https://flyavl.com/sites/default/files/inline-files/FINAL_terminal_map__2020.pdf

I think some of GSPs gates are rarely used and Frontier had one all to themselves so...  I mean, Frontier had load factors in the 85-90% range so its not like they were doing poorly. :dontknow:

Edited by distortedlogic

33 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

One is tourism based, the other is not. That thing won't pass GSP. The area is growing faster.

I get it. But I don't think AVL is THAT big of a tourist destination.  I would say  Knoxville has more nearby with Gatlinburg,  Pigeon Forge, Dollywood,  and the smokies just as close as Asheville and TYS hasn't grown nearly the way AVL has and yet is a bigger and newer airport, plus it's a way bigger metro, AND it has UT. TYS still has Frontier but that is about all it has over GSP. If it was just tourism wouldn't TYS have a lot more flights? 

I couple years ago I would have said AVL won't surpass GSP in numbers either but now I'm not so sure. 

Edit: I just checked TYS and it does show quite a bit of seasonal with Allegiant. 30 destinations in fact, so maybe it is just tourism?  I don't know...:dontknow:

Edited by distortedlogic

Tourism is definitely the reason for all of those Allegiant flights to/from Knoxville and Asheville. That airline focuses strictly on leisure travel. Great Smoky Mtns. is by far the most visited national park in the country and it's not even close. 

Southwest extended their schedule yesterday. Nothing new for here. Everything is still the same at GSP. 

Anybody know what happened to the planned hotel for GSP? Did it die? 

Oh and Silver Airways pulled out of Columbia so it could definitely be worse here than it currently is. 

Edited by gman430

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

Tourism is definitely the reason for all of those Allegiant flights to/from Knoxville and Asheville. That airline focuses strictly on leisure travel. Great Smoky Mtns. is by far the most visited national park in the country and it's not even close. 

Southwest extended their schedule yesterday. Nothing new for here. Everything is still the same at GSP. 

Anybody know what happened to the planned hotel for GSP? Did it die? 

Oh and Silver Airways pulled out of Columbia so it could definitely be worse here than it currently is. 

Silver is struggling everywhere. I know a guy here in Tampa (that ironically has a TPA-GSP line, didn't know that) and he heard someone saying that Allegiant (PIE-GSP) is killing them because it's cheaper and more spacious. Little pink flamingos aren't comfy at all haha. I did a 50 minute trip from Tampa to Tallahassee in it and it's horrendous. As for the video, never saw it and just watched it. Looks interested if it's still on schedule. 

28 minutes ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

Silver is struggling everywhere. I know a guy here in Tampa (that ironically has a TPA-GSP line, didn't know that) and he heard someone saying that Allegiant (PIE-GSP) is killing them because it's cheaper and more spacious. Little pink flamingos aren't comfy at all haha. I did a 50 minute trip from Tampa to Tallahassee in it and it's horrendous. As for the video, never saw it and just watched it. Looks interested if it's still on schedule. 

They’re not struggling here. Latest passenger numbers show 86% capacity out of GSP with Silver. Southwest and Contour are the ones struggling. 

22 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I get it. But I don't think AVL is THAT big of a tourist destination.  I would say  Knoxville has more nearby with Gatlinburg,  Pigeon Forge, Dollywood,  and the smokies just as close as Asheville and TYS hasn't grown nearly the way AVL has and yet is a bigger and newer airport, plus it's a way bigger metro, AND it has UT. TYS still has Frontier but that is about all it has over GSP. If it was just tourism wouldn't TYS have a lot more flights? 

I couple years ago I would have said AVL won't surpass GSP in numbers either but now I'm not so sure. 

Edit: I just checked TYS and it does show quite a bit of seasonal with Allegiant. 30 destinations in fact, so maybe it is just tourism?  I don't know...:dontknow:

I'm willing to wage against you that it won't pass GSP. 

8 hours ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

I’ve flown Silver— I wasn’t impressed. It took almost twice as long for the flight due to the style of plane. It was a little over an hour one way on Allegiant, and close to almost 2 hours on the way back on Silver. Plus the noise of the propellers was nuts.