GSP International

gvillenative

I'm the last person to say why airlines  choose one market over another.   But  what I can say is that what market is being served and by whom today is likely to change tomorrow.  

I'm also  old enough to remember the lean times at GSP - in the early days Piedmont and Southern provided point-to-point service to regional destinations.   Later Eastern Airlines was the only game in town with daily "Whisperjet" nonstops to Atlanta and Charlotte.   What I'm saying is that airlines will come and go but the overall trajectory of GSP with respect to airline service and passenger growth has been positive.   And I  believe we'll see more airlines and destinations including international service within 20 years.  

It wasn't that long ago the airport had open air concourses, no jet bridges, a single pair of restrooms, a tiny coffee shop, and a puny 7,600' runway.   

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 8:23 PM, olrob said:

Soooooooo....gman430, you've  set yourself up as the expert, the hot shot, the absolute authority on all things GSP, but it looks like you've met your match.... maybe we shouldn't accept your outright repudiation of everything GSP  while pumping AVL, CLT and ATL. Maybe you should take a deep breath, a really deep  breath and recognize that a lot, nay...most of your invectives directed at GSP are just your petty desires to have "something blue" or "something alaska" and you don't really know how an airport works.

Stick to drone pics, they're awesome....

Wow! gman430 you're just going to let this go through like you didn't see it? Come on man. I guess they're right.

20 hours ago, olrob said:

Seriously, his drone pics are epic! And dissing on the Gateway site is legit....but....someday....maybe.....?

Honestly Gman430, do you really think something might get done at the Gateway site....I hate that fence

He really doesn't know. Lol. But yes. Great drone pics.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 3:44 AM, gman430 said:

American Airlines who's schedule is all over the place:

Charlotte-Going from 8X daily (all regional planes) to 7X on October 6th with two of the flights being on a mainline Airbus 319 and the other five being on a regional. 

Philadelphia-Going from 2X daily to 3X daily on September 7th then back to 2X daily on October 6th then back to 3X daily on October 30th. All regional planes. 

Miami-Remaining at 1X daily. Regional plane. 

Dallas-This is a fun one to figure out. Going from 3X daily to 2X daily on September 13th. It will be switching back to 3X daily on October 6th with two of the flights being on a mainline Airbus 319 and the third one being on a regional. After that, it goes back to 2X daily on November 3rd with both flights being on a mainline Boeing 737.  :wacko: 

Washington DC-Remaining at 3X daily. All regional planes.

Chicago-Going from 1X daily to 2X on September 7th. All regional planes. 

Delta:

New York City-Remaining at 3X daily except for Saturday which is 1X daily. All regional planes. 

Atlanta-Going from 6X daily to 7X daily on July 5th except for Saturday which is 6X daily. One mainline Boeing 737, two mainline Airbus 319, and the rest being Boeing 717.

Detroit-Remaining at 2X daily except for Saturday which is 1X daily. All regional planes. 

United:

Denver-Remaining at 1X daily. Regional plane. 

Chicago-Remaining at 3X daily except for Saturday which is 2X daily. Regional planes.

Newark-Remaining at 3X daily except for Saturday which is 2X daily. Regional plane. 

Houston-Remaining at 1X daily. Regional plane. 

Washington DC-No return to service through mid 2023.

Southwest:

Atlanta-Remaining at 2X daily.

Houston-Going from Saturday only service to no service on September 10th and returning to Saturday only service on November 12th. 

Baltimore-Remaining at 1X daily.

Allegiant:

Ft. Lauderdale-Going from 2X weekly to no service on August 16th. Returning to 2X weekly on November 18th. 

Orlando-Remaining at 2X weekly.

St. Petersburg-Remaining at 2X weekly.

Silver:

Jacksonville-No service scheduled through mid 2023. 

Orlando-Remaining at 2X weekly.

Tampa-Remaining at 2X weekly.

Contour: 

Nashville-4X weekly service until September 26th. Schedule extension after that coming sometime this week. 

Update time. For October 2022. 

American Airlines: 

Charlotte-7X daily minus on Tuesday's and Wednesday's which is 6X daily. Two of the flights everyday are on mainline Airbus 319. 

Philadelphia-3X daily minus on Tuesday's and Saturday's which is 2X daily. 

Miami-Going from unscheduled to 1X daily on November 4th. 

Dallas-3X daily on Sunday, Thursday, and Friday. 2X daily on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday. One flight being on Airbus 320 and the other being on Airbus 319 every day. Regional plane for third flight on days with 3X. 

Washington DC-3X daily minus on Saturday's which is 2X daily. 

Chicago-1X daily. 

Delta: 

New York City-3X daily Monday-Friday, 1X daily on Saturday's, and 2X on Sunday's. 

Atlanta- 7X daily on Sunday's, Monday's, Thursday's, and Friday's.  6X daily on Saturday's, Tuesdays, and Wednesday's. All flights are on Boeing 717 or Boeing 737. 

Detroit:- 1X daily on Tuesday's, Wednesday's, and Saturday's. 2X daily on Monday's, Thursday's, Friday's, and Sunday's. 

United: 

Denver-1X daily. 

Chicago-3X daily minus on Saturday's which is 2X daily. 

Newark-3X daily. 

Houston-1X daily. 

Southwest: 

Atlanta-2X daily minus on Sunday's which is 3X daily. Sunday's going to 2X daily on November 6th. 

Baltimore-1X daily. 

Houston-Returning to Saturday only service on November 12th. 

Allegiant:

Fort Lauderdale-Returning to 2X a week on November 18th minus holiday weeks which is 3X a week. 

Orlando-2X a week. 

Saint Petersburg-2X a week minus holiday weeks which is 3X a week. 

Silver: 

Orlando-2X weekly. 

Tampa-2X weekly. 

Contour: 

Nashville-Going from 5X a week to 2X a week on October 24th. Not suprising as their seat fill rate is the lowest percentage wise out of any airline at GSP. The plane they use only holds 30 seats so 390 seats lost per month total. No big loss there IMO. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:20 AM, PuppiesandKittens said:

Until the lengthy security lines (even for TSA Pre-Check) can be fixed, I hope that the airport doesn’t get more service at peak periods; the security area is inadequate for the number of passengers that GSP has at peak periods. It took over 20 minutes to get through the TSA Pre-Check line recently.

The airport just installed state of the art security scanners at all the TSA lines at the end of August.  The problem with the new technology is that the amount of time to scan things has gotten much longer.  Not sure if the staff needs to get used to having the new high tech tools or if this is the new norm.

A. Get TSA Pre like I have.

B. It doesn’t matter anyways. It’s not like GSP is getting new service anytime over the next decade. If anything, the airport will probably continue to lose service even though the Upstate SC area is growing by leaps and bounds. Look at the bright side though. At least the airport has a new pointless empty economy lot. Sad. 

Edited by gman430

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

A. Get TSA Pre like I have.

B. It doesn’t matter anyways. It’s not like GSP is getting new service anytime over the next decade. If anything, the airport will probably continue to lose service even though the Upstate SC area is growing by leaps and bounds. Look at the bright side though. At least the airport has a new pointless empty economy lot. Sad. 

As per my post, I have TSA Pre-Check.  It still took 25 minutes recently.

I’m signing up for Clear, which I was surprised to see at GSP.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:31 AM, rssgvegas said:

The airport just installed state of the art security scanners at all the TSA lines at the end of August.  The problem with the new technology is that the amount of time to scan things has gotten much longer.  Not sure if the staff needs to get used to having the new high tech tools or if this is the new norm.

I was wondering if I had a new guy or just a slow guy on the machine. Glad to see others experienced the same thing. We traveled around labor day and even with no one in front of us in the pre check line it took 15 minutes to get through. 

I travel almost every week, I drop the car off at valet and am through security and in the terminal within 5-10 minutes with a coffee in my hand or a beer at Woolfgang. Maybe I am just getting lucky timing wise as I usually fly early AM or late afternoon, but I have never waited in TSA Pre-Check for more than 3-4 minutes. 

Edited by Gville2012

I also fly about every week through GSP and got Clear.  MUCH better than normal TSA; it takes literally just a moment to get through (to the conveyor belts).  

Even this morning at 6am, there were about 15 people in line at TSA Pre-Check.

There were 4 Clear employees who guided me past that, very professionally.

Why they built the cargo expansion: https://www.maersk.com/news/articles/2022/10/28/maersk-launches-us-korea-air-freight-service

AA GSP-MIA non-stop direct service returns next Friday November 4th which should definitely help overall passenger numbers at the airport. 1,064 seats added per week. 532 departing and 532 arriving. 

Allegiant to Ft. Lauderdale will be going from no service to twice a week service on November 18th except holiday weeks which will be three times a week. 708 seats added per week for the two times a week schedule. 354 departing and 354 arriving. 

Southwest to ATL will still be twice a day except for Sundays which will be going to three times a day on April 23rd. 

Southwest to HOU will be going from no service to Saturday only service on November 12th and then to Saturday and Sunday service on April 15th.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

United is looking to grow at GSP.  Will soon be announcing mainline service to IAH and ORD starting in March.  DEN might be added as well.  These will be on either an Airbus 319 or 320.  Official announcement on exact start date and frequencies should come soon.

Edited by rssgvegas

34 minutes ago, rssgvegas said:

United is looking to grow at GSP.  Will soon be announcing mainline service to IAH and ORD starting in March.  DEN might be added as well.  These will be on either an Airbus 319 or 320.  Official announcement on exact start date and frequencies should come soon.

That’s all well and good but how about a new destination, one we don’t already have service to? 

42 minutes ago, rssgvegas said:

So bigger planes and less flights with the same number of seats as they have currently overall…meh. They need to bring back service to IAD. No reason it should have been cut in the first place. 

And somebody (Delta…I’m looking at you) needs to add service to Boston. 

Edited by gman430

Article on the planned pod system. Construction would be begin in early 2024 and take two years if everything goes according to plan: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/gsp-airport-ponders-70m-podcar-system-to-shuttle-passengers/article_0afbe598-2981-11ed-a62d-d36a431cff03.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

No, I still think it would be way better to have service with them. They're still a new airline trying to figure out how they fit but it would have been nice to have a few new destinations with them over the past year and going forward. I still hope they are able to provide some service in the future, but it seems its going to be tough for GSP to grow a ton.

58 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

No, I still think it would be way better to have service with them. They're still a new airline trying to figure out how they fit but it would have been nice to have a few new destinations with them over the past year and going forward. I still hope they are able to provide some service in the future, but it seems its going to be tough for GSP to grow a ton.

Yeah, before we only had to compete with Charlotte and Atlanta. But somewhere along the lines, Asheville decided it wanted to play ball and now is leaving GSP in the dust. Sad times. I don’t see GSP ever landing Breeze, Avelo, JetBlue, Frontier, Sun Country, Spirit, or Alaska. The leadership at the airport just doesn’t have what it takes to land these carriers. For some reason they seem to only care about catering to the legacy carriers and what they want. 

Edited by gman430

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yeah, before we only had to compete with Charlotte and Atlanta. But somewhere along the lines, Asheville decided it wanted to play ball and now is leaving GSP in the dust. Sad times. I don’t see GSP ever landing Breeze, Avelo, JetBlue, Frontier, Sun Country, Spirit, or Alaska. The leadership at the airport just doesn’t have what it takes to land these carriers. For some reason they seem to only care about catering to the legacy carriers and what they want. 

Constant complaining reflects poorly on the complainer.  It doesn’t reflect poorly on the target of the complaint.

If you have such an issue with GSP, run for office, or get on the GSP oversight board.  

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

Article on the planned pod system. Construction would be begin in early 2024 and take two years if everything goes according to plan: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/gsp-airport-ponders-70m-podcar-system-to-shuttle-passengers/article_0afbe598-2981-11ed-a62d-d36a431cff03.html

Pondering is an understatement lol

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/money/business/2016/04/17/proposed-gsp-pod-car-system-would-first/82949112/