GSP International

gvillenative

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was watching TV earlier and saw a commercial for GSP, well I heard it was in the other room, nontheless I believe thats the first time I've ever heard or seen a commercial, usually only in print. That might mean some big bussiness for them now because television reaches a bigger audience than does the newspaper.

Slowly. They have the steel pilings up for the overpass, and they have the grading for the ramps nearly completed. If you haven't been in a while you would notice a change.

The interchange was substandard before. They are essentially bringing it up to code with longer ramps and I think they are widening the road too? Maybe someone else can confirm that.

I noticed on the airport's web site that, of the dozens of daily departures, only 8 (by my count) are in Boeing/MD/Airbus type equipment. Lot's of 60-90 seat CRJ's (which I love), ERJ's and similar aircraft. US Air equipment isn't listed, but I imagine many of those are big planes, too.

My travel nowadays pretty much always puts me on one of the big planes. My question is, at GSP are you able to board those planes through the boarding bridges, or do you have to walk outside, Fred Flintstone-style? At Dulles and BWI, you have to walk outside, but I always assumed it was because of how busy those airports are in general.

I noticed on the airport's web site that, of the dozens of daily departures, only 8 (by my count) are in Boeing/MD/Airbus type equipment. Lot's of 60-90 seat CRJ's (which I love), ERJ's and similar aircraft. US Air equipment isn't listed, but I imagine many of those are big planes, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And nearly all of them are Boeing 737's flying to Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International.

My travel nowadays pretty much always puts me on one of the big planes. My question is, at GSP are you able to board those planes through the boarding bridges, or do you have to walk outside, Fred Flintstone-style? At Dulles and BWI, you have to walk outside, but I always assumed it was because of how busy those airports are in general.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I board the 737s to Atlanta, I board through the ramps. When I fly the regional jets, I usually have to walk out onto the tarmac. Heck, there have been times on returning late at night from Orlando on the regional jets that I have been ushered on through the downstairs part of the concourse and out onto an outdoor sidewalk on the other side before I can re-enter the main terminal.

Still, as far as convenience goes, you cannot beat GSP!! :thumbsup::lol:

I think it depends on the airlines. Independence Air will use the jetway bridge, US Airways does not. Comair (Delta) uses it sometimes, Continental and American also. I really love the amount of RJ's we get....so much easier to fly.....you can gate check your bag and avoid bagage claim at the end......boarding with 50 people is way quicker than boarding with 150.

I think it depends on the airlines.  Independence Air will use the jetway bridge, US Airways does not.  Comair (Delta) uses it sometimes, Continental and American also.  I really love the amount of RJ's we get....so much easier to fly.....you can gate check your bag and avoid bagage claim at the end......boarding with 50 people is way quicker than boarding with 150.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree entirely. And the RJ's can fly just as high and fast as the big jets, though not nearly as far.

Though I haven't flown through GSP in several years, and only once in the last 10 years, I view the air traffic issue there the same way I view the skyscraper issue downtown. It's better to have a lot of 60-90 seaters flying in and out all the time, with a few of the 737's here and there; than to have the occasional big-jet traffic that GSP had only 20 years ago. All the international investment already established in the area ensures that GSP will never be relegated to a mere commuter airport.

What is the biggest passenger plane that flies into GSP? 757? How about the biggest cargo plane? They extended the runway so that they could land 747 cargo planes loaded with BMW engines. Are they doing that now?

And, on a completely different subject, what is that "Warn 0%" under my screen name on all my posts? Am I on probation or something? Wha'd I do? :unsure:

What is the biggest passenger plane that flies into GSP? 757? How about the biggest cargo plane? They extended the runway so that they could land 747 cargo planes loaded with BMW engines. Are they doing that now?

And, on a completely different subject, what is that "Warn 0%" under my screen name on all my posts? Am I on probation or something? Wha'd I do?  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, 747s have indeed landed here. I've also seen C-5s (largest plane in the World, last time I checked) fly in and out on numerous occasions - one day, it did 10 touch-n-go passes in a row! That was totally awesome! :w00t:

Your "Warn 0%" is a great thing to have. If you are ever given warnings, you'll see it change to a higher percentage, until it is full and you get the boot. Every member has this under his/her member name and info, so you're not in trouble at all. :thumbsup:

Delta Air uses the jetways, but Comair and ASA don't. US Air is strictly RJ/Commuter plane, so no Jetways used there either. Northwest occasionally boards without jetways. Southwest wants two to three gates, obviously at Concourse A. Also, with family working at Delta, I've also heard that this year the 737 is going bye bye, and because of increased traffic at GSP, we will be getting all MD88 service to ATL, and twice daily 787 service. Can't hardly wait.

I, being in the Air Force Reserves, have flown out of GSP in a C-17 which is about half the size of a C-5 but still by all accounts bigger than most that fly in and out of GSP, and yes Air Force One is a 747. I saw mention of Soutwest, are they eyeballing us again or was that what they wanted when they origianlly approached? Well I'm off to Chucktown I'll check back on Monday. Have a safe weekend.

Delta Air uses the jetways, but Comair and ASA don't. US Air is strictly RJ/Commuter plane, so no Jetways used there either. Northwest occasionally boards without jetways. Southwest wants two to three gates, obviously at Concourse A. Also, with family working at Delta, I've also heard that this year the 737 is going bye bye, and because of increased traffic at GSP, we will be getting all MD88 service to ATL, and twice daily 787 service. Can't hardly wait.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fly nearly exclusively with Delta. At one time in the past the MD-88 stretch was the plane that flew between GSP and Atlanta. I had heard that the new equiplent was going to be a 737-800 rather than 787 though. Either way, it's a nice improvement :thumbsup:

Any time I fly the regional jets it's between GSP and Orlando and we're always walking down to the tarmac to board.

Edited by RestedTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw on the Greater Greenville website that the Greenville Downtown airport is South Carolina's busiest general aviation airport and the state's third-busiest airport overall:

http://www.greatergreenville.com/development/dt_business.asp

That is pretty cool, since GSP International is the busiest in the state:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclope...th_Carolina.htm

GSP also boasts the most airlines of any SC airport, as well as roughly 80 arrivals and 80 departures daily. I hope GSP hits the 2 million passenger mark this year!

Edited by Greenville