GSP International

gvillenative

There was an interesting article this morning in the Ft Lauderdale paper.......

Allegiant Airlines to begin service to Ft Lauderdale. They will be flying to a dozen cities in the Mid-South and Midwest. No cities were stated, but the airline did say that they are currently flying to all the cities.

The cities are to be announced August 9.

Allegiant Air unveiled Rockford, Ill., as its first destination for new non-stop flights from Fort Lauderdale.

The Las Vegas-based carrier will begin twice-weekly jet flights on Dec. 14 at introductory prices of $69 each way. Prices will later rise to $89.

Allegiant Air unveiled Rockford, Ill., as its first destination for new non-stop flights from Fort Lauderdale.

The Las Vegas-based carrier will begin twice-weekly jet flights on Dec. 14 at introductory prices of $69 each way. Prices will later rise to $89.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Greenville and Huntsville! :)

Seems Allegiant should be adding Huntsville to the Orlando and Tampa mix as well.

Well there is a little time for the JetBlue rumor to come true there is 4 months left. ;)

It seems that JB is in some trouble...When I interviewed with them at Logan back in February, they were really gung-ho about expansion, and now it seems that they're cutting back at Logan, so I can't say that they'll announce GSP this year or not. It really is sad how no low-cost carriers really serve GSP.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Greenville and Huntsville! :)

Seems Allegiant should be adding Huntsville to the Orlando and Tampa mix as well.

next up Chattanooga

The Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport is getting a new non-stop flight - to Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Allegiant Air, which already serves Orlando and Tampa from Chattanooga, will begin the service on Dec. 13.

The low-fare carrier will celebrate the new service with introductory fares as low as $59 each way, officials said.

The new flights will operate three times weekly, with service Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, departing at 11:25 a.m. and arriving at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport at 1:15 p.m.

Flights leaving Fort Lauderdale will depart at 9 a.m. and reach Chattanooga at 10:50 a.m.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a coencidence, Spartanburg had it's first Las Vegas flight today also!!!

Just pickin' and not trying to start a turf war, but I do feel that in our e-mails and such to different airlines, as well as our general correspondence, we would be better served to promote the enitre Upsate region as well as western NC to better entice other carriers to set up shop. (as the article itself did)

What's funny is that I noticed that when I book my travel through our corporate travel agent's online site, it says "Greenville-Greer" when I enter in "GSP" for the departing airport. Of course, it always says my return equipment from Atlanta to Greenville on Delta is a Boeing 767-300, too. :lol: I think maybe they meant 737-600. :rolleyes:

Wow, what a coencidence, Spartanburg had it's first Las Vegas flight today also!!!

Just pickin' and not trying to start a turf war, but I do feel that in our e-mails and such to different airlines, as well as our general correspondence, we would be better served to promote the enitre Upsate region as well as western NC to better entice other carriers to set up shop. (as the article itself did)

I agree with that in principle, but people in general like to shorten things. Pilots don't always know that the airport is locally known as "G-S-P" so they may just shorten it to Greenville (since thats the first city in the hyphenated situation). I'm sure that Raleigh-Durham and Dallas-Fort Worth have the same issue. I've had varying experiences with this with my flights from GSP with this one. Names aren't as important as the service though. If its good and quality service, thats what counts. We all know that we share the airport.

I'd much rather them say it right than to butcher it like they so many times do. According to some pilots I've flown into Greensville, Greensfield, Greenfield, Spartansburg, ect., ect. GSP is fine with me or even SPG as long as if they do shorten it they say it right. It really bugs the crap out of me when they do that for some reason. :D

I'd much rather them say it right than to butcher it like they so many times do. According to some pilots I've flown into Greensville, Greensfield, Greenfield, Spartansburg, ect., ect. GSP is fine with me or even SPG as long as if they do shorten it they say it right. It really bugs the crap out of me when they do that for some reason. :D

Worse than any of those, I've heard the pilot refer to it as "Greensboro-Spartanburg" (not that anything at all is wrong with Greensboro...it just makes you wonder if the pilot is familiar at all with our regional geography).

I agree 100%. I haven't heard it called Greer, but I admittedly don't fly very much, and even less out of GSP.

My dream is that one day flights out of GSP will be less than $400 so I can actually have the chance to find out what they call it. Until that day, all I'm going to hear about will be the weather and estimated time of arrival in Charlotte.

I see plenty of flights from GSP for less than $400. In fact, I do not think I have ever paid that much to fly out of GSP. Are you flying somewhere crazy to pay that much?

I'm flying Delta from GSP to SFO by way of ATL for $418 and my colleague from Northern Virginia booked travel through the same corporate travel department at the same time as me so we could share a rental car, get rooms at the same hotel, etc. He is flying on a direct flight from IAD to SFO and it's costing him $740. Go figure.

I see plenty of flights from GSP for less than $400. In fact, I do not think I have ever paid that much to fly out of GSP. Are you flying somewhere crazy to pay that much?

Over the last several years, I have flown to places like Seattle, Boston, Tucson, Phoenix, Dallas, Paris, and Munich...and only once have I found a flight that was even within $100 of the same flight from Charlotte. That was a non-stop Northwest flight to Detroit.

Almost all flights out of Greenville would have been $350 and above. And if the difference between GSP and CLT is $100 or more, I'm hitting the road up I-85.

For example...I'm going out to Seattle again next year. So I just looked up some prices: