GSP International

gvillenative

• 3 weeks later...

Hasn't started yet. Northwest Airlines GSP to Minneapolis nonstop starts on May 2.

So what happened here? Checked their website today, and there is no mention of it anywhere. It's not even on their May flight schedule. Seems like this one fell through. I never heard any advertisment for it. I wonder if the upcoming merger had anything to do with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Not directly GSP related, but I heard on the news today, that with all airlines in such rough financial shape, some of them are giving serious thought to not only weighing luggage, but weighing passengers. The larger you are, the more you pay. I can't really imagine this could ever happen, but with these days of airline economic hardship, who knows? Can you imagine....drop ten pounds and save 20 dollars on your flight. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is from a thread about GSP @ airliners.net. It's a post from deltabobo. Sheds a lot of light on the situation:

As a former ramper with every airline at GSP (with the exception of US), I will tell us this.....All the major LCC's out there (WN, B6, F9, and FL) WANT TO COME TO GSP, but they want subsidies from the GSP Airport Commission, but the airport commission will only give subsidies to G4 and G4 ALONE. But remember, the airport commission is run by Roger Miliken, something like fifth richest man in America (correct me if I'm wrong), who is set in his ways. GSP has the second highest airfares in the nation, only CVG is higher. Once good ol' Roger kicks the bucket, the commission will look to get more business. Southwest offered MDW, LAS, LAX, and PHX, among others, B6 offered service to JFK and BOS, FL offered ATL and BWI (to give ol' Delta a run for their money, and guarantee DL would be sending more mainline to fight FL at GSP if they started; F9 offered service to DEN. There are two doors at the end of Concourse A with spaces for new jetbridges. WN offered to buy the jetbridges to use both the new gates, but the commission said no. Well, as long as the good ole boys at GSP are there, nothing will change.

This is from a thread about GSP @ airliners.net. It's a post from deltabobo. Sheds a lot of light on the situation:

As a former ramper with every airline at GSP (with the exception of US), I will tell us this.....All the major LCC's out there (WN, B6, F9, and FL) WANT TO COME TO GSP, but they want subsidies from the GSP Airport Commission, but the airport commission will only give subsidies to G4 and G4 ALONE. But remember, the airport commission is run by Roger Miliken, something like fifth richest man in America (correct me if I'm wrong), who is set in his ways. GSP has the second highest airfares in the nation, only CVG is higher. Once good ol' Roger kicks the bucket, the commission will look to get more business. Southwest offered MDW, LAS, LAX, and PHX, among others, B6 offered service to JFK and BOS, FL offered ATL and BWI (to give ol' Delta a run for their money, and guarantee DL would be sending more mainline to fight FL at GSP if they started; F9 offered service to DEN. There are two doors at the end of Concourse A with spaces for new jetbridges. WN offered to buy the jetbridges to use both the new gates, but the commission said no. Well, as long as the good ole boys at GSP are there, nothing will change.

Color me pissed. :angry:

Color me pissed. :angry:

Yeah, if this is true this is pretty big news. I posted it on city-data as well and one of the posters said he may go to the press. This is tatamount to sabatage. Sorry about the font, btw. I just cut and pasted but it came up that odd color for some reason. Doesn't make the comments any less powerful though. Keep in mind that it was from another message board so the validity is to be questioned. I wish someone (a reporter) could get ahold of this guy to verify his story.

Our friend g-man sent an email to Rosylin Weston (GSP International's Director of Public Relations) regarding the above comments by "deltabobo." He asked that it be posted here:

Dear Jacob:

There is not one word of truth to anything written by DeltaBoBo - Post #32. Southwest nor any other low-fare carrier has ever "offered" to provide service to GSP that we turned down. Many airports around the country have at one time or another engaged in high dollar incentive packages - paid airlines money to provide service, suspended landing fees for a period of time, etc etc. In the end however, once these incentive packages run out, if the passengers are not there to fill the planes, the airlines pack up and leave. GSP does not offer these kinds of incentives and in fact, many airports are getting away from such practices because, IF the passengers are not there, the airlines will pack up and leave once the Money Runs Out. Again, Mr DeltaBoBo is mistaken or misinformed when he says we only offer tax incentives to G4 and G4 alone. Quite frankly, I don't know who G4 is and whoever it is, we are not offering nor have we ever offered them any tax incentives to provide service.

Southwest has NEVER participated in airport/airline incentive programs because Southwest believes in only starting service in markets where they know, the passenger volume is there to support their service. Southwest has never offered to come into the GSP market for a fee/price. They do however continue to express interest in our market and they continue to talk with us and meet with us from time to time to get updates on the market including news from an economic development standpoint. FYI, we have meetings scheduled with representatives from two low-fare carriers next week in Pittsburgh.

No airline, low-fare or otherwise has offered to provide service to GSP and been turned away. It is NOT true that any airline offered to "buy" jet bridges which we refused to sell. Buying and selling jet bridges is not how that works. I have no idea where Mr. DeltaBoBo is getting his information but it is all wrong.

Thanks for asking and giving me the opportunity to respond. I will be happy to speak with you further either on the phone, in person or via email.

Sincerely,

Rosylin Weston

Director of Public Relations

GSP International Airport

Quite frankly, I don't know who G4 is and whoever it is, we are not offering nor have we ever offered them any tax incentives to provide service.

I think the fact that she doesn't know that G4 is code for Allegiant speaks volumes about the knowledge and credibility of Rosylin Weston, Director of Public Relations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Was in Mauldin today by the MHS and saw a Delta 737 making its final approach to GSP. Never knew they used that equipment into or out of GSP or was this an emergency landing? Unfamiliar with the equipment Delta usually uses at GSP.

Apparently a JetBlue plane also landed at GSP today. :mellow:

Was in Mauldin today by the MHS and saw a Delta 737 making its final approach to GSP. Never knew they used that equipment into or out of GSP or was this an emergency landing? Unfamiliar with the equipment Delta usually uses at GSP.

Mostly MD-88's, CRJ900 and CRJ700, with a few smaller CRJ's, and starting this fall, the engine under wing Embraer 175.

Could've been a charter flight too. I know we had a group of reserves in town last month on a training exercise and they flew air tran. NC State flew in on a DL 757 last week and I believe that's the same equipment Maryland should be using for a 12pm arrival. I know they're flying DL from BWI. We had a lot of traffic last friday too from diversions from CAE b/c of the plane crash.

• 1 month later...

GSP is a wonderful airport. Easy access, shorter lines, and rarely delays. You can get to a lot of places with a direct flight, and just about anywhere with just one connection. The price can be high if you wait too long book, but the convenience is often worth paying extra when you factor in the time and money spent traveling to Charlotte or Atlanta for a flight.

GSP is a wonderful airport. Easy access, shorter lines, and rarely delays. You can get to a lot of places with a direct flight, and just about anywhere with just one connection. The price can be high if you wait too long book, but the convenience is often worth paying extra when you factor in the time and money spent traveling to Charlotte or Atlanta for a flight.

Not even close. I had to fly to Anaheim on business last month but I was bringing my wife and daughter. If I'm flying by myself I will fly out of GSP 'cause my company is paying for the ticket, however since I had to pay for my wife I checked GSP vs CLT; $300 cheaper! :shok: Even with gas and parking, Charlotte has a $4/day long term lot (can't beat it) I saved close to $200. That's not chump change and it's really important to me to be wise with money. It's been my experience that people who think not driving to Charlotte is worth $200 are the same ones that spend $5 ona latte, 5 x's a week and are $20k in credit card debt.

I flew to Los Angeles last year. It would of cost me $800 more to fly out of GSP than Atlanta. I know a lot of people say Atlanta's airport is a pain in the butt, but for me it wasn't. I got my bags checked in at a park and ride, got dropped off right in front of the terminal, and got through the security line in under five minutes. It was a breeze. Some of you guys are lucky because your company pays for your airfare. Unfortunately, most of us including me aren't that lucky.

Edited by citylife