GSP International

gvillenative

If GSP is open to expansion with Allegiant, perhaps the Las Vegas route will return.

This won't happen until Allegiant either gets another type of aircraft, or re-engines their existing aircraft. They dropped both Greenville and Knoxville flights to Vegas not so much because passenger traffic wasn't there, but mainly because the routes pushed the limit for their MD-80's.....left little cushion. Notice on their route map....click on Vegas.....I believe Shreveport is the fartherest east they fly from Vegas, yet two of their top five best performing cities are Greenville and Knoxville.

Edited by gsupstate

That would make sense, although I would have thought those planes would be able to fly that distance comfortably. But that poses another question; where could we see growth with Allegiant out of GSP if they only fly to thier focus cities and the only remaining focus cities are Vegas and Mesa?

Too bad GSP is not more of a national tourist destination or they could make GSP a focus city ... (where's the "dream on" emoticon ?)

That would make sense, although I would have thought those planes would be able to fly that distance comfortably. But that poses another question; where could we see growth with Allegiant out of GSP if they only fly to thier focus cities and the only remaining focus cities are Vegas and Mesa?

Too bad GSP is not more of a national tourist destination or they could make GSP a focus city ... (where's the "dream on" emoticon ?)

Bellingham, WA is a bit of a focus city (small) for them as well.

Since GSP has flight to all 4 Florida focus cities, we are maxed out as far flights to East Coast focus cities. A few cities I could see becoming Allegiant focus cities.....Biloxi, MS (coast and gambling)......Atlantic City.....Virginia Beach......Branson/Springfield, MO.......Myrtle Beach (though I doubt we would have flights to Myrtle Beach).

As far as Greenville being a focus city, you never know.....we are one of their top destinations. When I flew them, I was shocked at how many people were actually Floridians flying to Greenville/the mountains. It seemed like maybe a 50/50 split.....as many Floridians flying to Greenville as Greenvillians flying to Florida.

GSP does not offer incentives to low cost carriers. They think it's something airports don't do anymore even if I disagree. The only commercial airline to make a profit in 2008 was Allegiant.

No, they were not. As I stated in my previous post, which you directly quoted, Southwest also turned a profit in '08.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/22/business/23air.php

To not offer incentives that would increase air traffic, and directly jobs, just because they feel that "airports don't do that anymore' is asinine. SW only flies to Raleigh in all of the Carolinas. They already serve many markets much smaller than ours, plus we could also derive catchment from Charlotte as well as Columbia and Ashville. Hopefully, the new leadership has more forward thinking then the previous administration.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., announced Wednesday that the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport has received a $4.3 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation for improvements. The grant will be used to fund the first half of an overlay project to upgrade GSP's 11,000-foot runway, as well as a taxiway. Article can be found here: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090212/...ject_at_airport

Edited by citylife

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
<_< GSP can't seem to land a good low-cost carrier but Asheville and Knoxville can. They both have just landed AirTran Airways according to this article: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ite...k=64609693.blog I wish there was a way we could vote out the idiots who run GSP airport. They obviously have no idea what they're doing. Edited by citylife

<_< GSP can't seem to land a good low-cost carrier but Asheville and Knoxville can. They both have just landed AirTran Airways according to this article: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ite...k=64609693.blog I wish there was a way we could vote out the idiots who run GSP airport. They obviously have no idea what they're doing.

Well since we have Allegiant going to Fla, I don't really see this as a big missed opportunity. But, I do agree that it is difficult to understand how we still have not been able to find additional services with low cost carriers, espeically jet-blue and SW. And Asheville is very hard for me to figure. While it serves a pretty large geographic area, the pop base is very small to have the number of flights and cities that it serves. If our guys at GSP dopn't get to work, we will soon be losing passengers to the Asheville airport, in addition to CLT and ATL. Then we might as well kiss GSP goodbye.

BTW, the journal had a TBA from a couple of weeks ago to expect to hear some details about GSPs efforts to attract such airline service, within a couple of weeks. In other words, we should be hearing something anytime now. Perhaps they were trying to get service from AirTran, who decided agianst GSP though. Anyone have any knowledge about what the Journal may have been hinting at?

Edited by distortedlogic

GSP now has a survey on their website. It is part of the plan to help land a new low-cost carrier. I urge everybody to take it. The survey can be found here: http://www.surveysoftware.net/hostri/airtravel.htm Oh and the spokesperson for GSP was asked on WYFF why Asheville was able to land Airtran and we weren't. Her response was "we're not sure." <_<

GSP now has a survey on their website. It is part of the plan to help land a new low-cost carrier. I urge everybody to take it. The survey can be found here: http://www.surveysoftware.net/hostri/airtravel.htm Oh and the spokesperson for GSP was asked on WYFF why Asheville was able to land Airtran and we weren't. Her response was "we're not sure." <_<

GSP already has low cost carrier Allegiant which flies to Orlando. My guess is that Airtran couldn't compete at GSP, at least on the Orlando route. They would have to cut ticket prices too much.

GSP already has low cost carrier Allegiant which flies to Orlando. My guess is that Airtran couldn't compete at GSP, at least on the Orlando route. They would have to cut ticket prices too much.

Knoxville also just landed Airtran to Orlando and they have Allegiant which flys to Orlando already.

This kind of answer is a cop-out IMO. I suspect they do know (at least some of) the reasons why, but they are either just reluctant or embarressed to say why. Or even if it is true, and they don't know why, they should be embaressed about that as well. Quite frankly it is thier job to manage the airport, and know when they are being outperformed by other area airports. Here is another article about the survey, which also mentions the recent study showing that leakage to other airports is not the commonly known number of 1/3, but that is is 60%. This means our annual traffic should be more than 3mm passengers, and this is only for our home population. If the airport had better fares and flights, GSP may actually draw from surrounding areas as well.

I took the survey and I noticed they specifically asked about regional flights; Birmingham, Richmond, etc, but did not ask about any West Coast or MId-West flights, which I think are sorely needed. For what it's worth...

The CEO of WYFF has written an editorial regarding GSP International:

http://www.wyff4.com/editorials/19020589/detail.html I'm glad to see the media attention grow lately for this airport. It could help GSP officials try harder to land a true low-cost carrier that actually flys to other states besides Florida.

AirTran would be nice, but all of the AirTran flights from Charleston must go through Atlanta (just like almost all of the other flights in Charleston). I realize that AirTran would be a welcome addition to GSP, and would probably lower everyone's rates some, but shouldn't our objective be to also add new destinations? This is assuming that all of the AirTran flights from GSP would go through Atlanta first.

I was looking at SW air's website. I was a little surprised at a couple of the markets they already serve I knew they served RDU, where they serve 10 cities , including DEnver, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. But I was surprised to see they serve Norfolk, VA and even Jackson MS with four flights. I definitely agree about more destinations. SOmething tells me it won't happen for a very long time, but flights to Denver, LAX at least to the West, and perhaps a few more places like Boston, Phoenix, Minneapolis, and Vegas would be both nice and sustainable IMO.

I also think GSP could use a little bit of a remake. WHile it is nice and convienient, the inside of the terminal seems a little closed in and plain compared to most airports, even many smaller ones. And the carpet looks very 80's to me. WHile I don't really care about this kind of thing personally, I can't help but wonder it is sends some messages to airline powers-that-be about the progress/direction of the airport. Any thoughts? Does that matter at all?

Edited by distortedlogic

This is an appropriate thread on April Fools' Day...GSP is a joke.

maybe if gsp update and try to atleast look like an important airport put up some lights at the entrance instead of looking like your at roper mtn christmas going into the airport maybe it will get some respect if you want to be big time act accordingly.

I know a lot of people complain about GSP not having any true low-cost carriers and i've been one of them but our airport isn't doing any better or worse than a lot our peer competitor cities around the southeast. Just look at the Knoxville, Columbia, and Greensboro-Winston Salem airports. They don't have any true low-cost carriers either. Yes, Knoxville did just recently land Airtran but only to Orlando. Allegiant already flies there. Notice all of these cities have Allegiant and all of the flights are only to destinations in Florida.

Edited by citylife

I know a lot of people complain about GSP not having any true low-cost carriers and i've been one of them but our airport isn't doing any better or worse than a lot our peer competitor cities around the southeast. Just look at the Knoxville, Columbia, and Greensboro-Winston Salem airports. They don't have any true low-cost carriers either. Yes, Knoxville did just recently land Airtran but only to Orlando. Allegiant already flies there. Notice all of these cities have Allegiant and all of the flights are only to destinations in Florida.

Despite Greensboro (GSO) not having any other low fare carriers besides Allegiant, prices at Greensboro remain pretty reasonable. Just for fun, I did a quick search for a relatively last night minute flight to LAX from both GSO and GSP, leaving Fri April 10 and returning Sat April 11...because we all know those flights without a Saturday layover are pricey.

Don't know if this will work, because flight times change so frequently, but at the time the search was done, GSO to LAX round trip was $377. GSP to LAX was $623.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just checking out the Punta Gorda flight on Allegiant and noticed Allegiants service to Orlando is now daily, with certain days having multiple flights. :thumbsup: Tampa is now up to 6 days a week. Both Ft.Lauderdale and Punta Gorda remain the 3 day a week service. Good to see the growth Allegiant is having in this market.

If AirTran takes off and does well out of Asheville, they might start service to Atlanta and BWI as well. What will happen is traffic will increase, and AVL could very well be expanded, and sadly, GSP will pretty much fizzle out. If you don't evolve, you die pretty much. I'd fly to AVL any day over CLT, that's just a given. I flew down two weeks ago into CLT and drove. It's friggin inconvenient, and driving up 85 is a pain, but that's another rant, another year... GSP probably won't get their act together until something drastic happens. Lets just really really hope AirTran is successful out of AVL, and GSP takes their cue.

-Mike

If AirTran takes off and does well out of Asheville, they might start service to Atlanta and BWI as well. What will happen is traffic will increase, and AVL could very well be expanded, and sadly, GSP will pretty much fizzle out. If you don't evolve, you die pretty much. I'd fly to AVL any day over CLT, that's just a given. I flew down two weeks ago into CLT and drove. It's friggin inconvenient, and driving up 85 is a pain, but that's another rant, another year... GSP probably won't get their act together until something drastic happens. Lets just really really hope AirTran is successful out of AVL, and GSP takes their cue.

-Mike

Mr. Jarvis. Great to see you around the boards again! How have you been? Still in Boston I see. Hope all is great. :alc:

I must say though, while GSP does need to step it up a notch (as regards another low cost carrier), the difference in passenger numbers means it will take more than a few AirTran flights to bring AVL close to GSP......in 2008, AVL aprox 550,000 vs. GSP aprox 1,500,000. That million difference is quite the hurdle.