GSP International

gvillenative

Yeah, I can see that, and given that AVL has three or four gates (forgive me, I've never been there) It can't compare to GSP. But all I'm saying, if the demand is there, AirTran will go from three days a week to six or seven, then the traffic picks up...

Honestly, ever since Delta changed the rules on Elite, and I got to Gold just by segments, I haven't flown anyone else since last year, JetBlue included (and I like JB)

Yeah, I can see that, and given that AVL has three or four gates (forgive me, I've never been there) It can't compare to GSP. But all I'm saying, if the demand is there, AirTran will go from three days a week to six or seven, then the traffic picks up...

Honestly, ever since Delta changed the rules on Elite, and I got to Gold just by segments, I haven't flown anyone else since last year, JetBlue included (and I like JB)

Yeah, the new segment qualifying is nice, especially using GSP where almost any roundtrip is automatically 4 segments. You get to 100 quick.

One funny thing I noticed about AirTran's new Orlando flight......seems they did it to due to the success of the GSP to Orlando on Allegiant. If you're a smart traveler living midway between GSP and AVL, you'll still choose Allegiant as AirTran can't touch their price. Due to the fact Allegiant has a la carte pricing, if you don't check luggage, don't get an assigned seat and don't buy a drink/food, the base ticket is still several dollars cheaper than AirTran (who does not offer a la carte pricing). I think the a la carte pricing is one reason Allegiant as an entire company is being so successful. If you just want transportation based on price, Allegiant wins (plus you have leather seats and a couple of inches more legroom than AirTran, unless sitting in AirTran's poorly designed, wanabe first class).

• 4 weeks later...

Many people think GSP is the most expensive airport in SC to fly from. That perception, isn't accurate.

Article on air fares at major SC airports:

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/792544.html

So GSP is roughly $40 cheaper than Columbia. I don't think we compete with Columbia too much in terms of our traffic. It's more of the mindset of flying out of CLT or ATL which is mentioned in several comments on the site even for Columbia people (particularly Charlotte for them)

• 3 weeks later...

Atlanta's got Airtran. Charlotte's got Jetblue. Where's Southwest to go? Hey, how about right between the two. :) How did you know they were in the area Danmire? Was there a news release or something? :unsure:

Edited by citylife

Just looked at their Route Map online. They have no presence in Georgia and South Carolina. Greenville is right in the middle between Raleigh, Birmingham, Nashville and Jacksonville.

That is precisely why it makes perfect sense for them to offer service from GSP. Hopefully, in addition to lowering fares at GSP, their presence would open up some new destinations for direct flights (Nashville, Jacksonville, etc.). :thumbsup:

:) How did you know they were in the area Danmire? Was there a news release or something? :unsure:

I was up touring the Milliken campus in Spartanburg yesterday and the tour guide was saying that Southwest was coming by Milliken that day and they had been meeting with the City of Greenville the previous day. It sounds like Southwest was going to be meeting with several big industries in the area who have a big need of more flights into GSP.

Thanks for the information Danmire. Looks like your tour guide was right. :) Local and GSP officials aren't saying a thing because they're worried it could blow the deal. Always a good sign when they keep their mouth shut. If Southwest wasn't here, then there would be no reason for them not to talk.

Well, I guess Butch Kirven couldn't resist. :lol: Local officials wouldn't talk to me about it though. :dontknow: Notice the Chamber of Commerce had no comment either. Southwest wouldn't do extensive market research and visit this area for several days if they didn't think this was a potential market for expansion. Looking good. :) News article can be found here: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

Edited by citylife

Sounds as though they definitely did their homework and came prepared and just wanted to see things first-hand. Not sure if they treat every potential market this way, but it would make good business sense to always do your homework. Still, this is all very encouraging. I'd no-doubt fly much more often if the rates were lower and there were more direct flights to places I want to go. I hate flying into Atlanta, Cincinnati, and DFW to get anywhere else. :angry: Likewise, I'd just as soon not deal with driving to Atlanta or Charlotte just to get a better rate, no matter how tempting it may be. Count me in amongst that "pent up demand."

Edited by RestedTraveler

Due to increased traffic from Allegiant and anticipation of a new low-cost carrier, the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport is currently receving bids/proposals for the purchase and installation of two aircraft passenger boarding bridges. Proposals will be received until 2:00 p.m. on July 6, 2009. This will increase the number of boarding bridges from 11 to 13.

Here is another article from the Greenville News on Southwest Airlines: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...ONTPAGECAROUSEL I like what i'm hearing from Harvey Schmitt. :shades: Definitely a lot of positives that will help us land this low-cost carrier. I didn't realize it had been at least ten years since Southwest Airlines visited the area. A lot has changed since then in terms of economic development and population growth. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone near the airport saw an odd number of takeoffs tonight, you weren't mistaken. With the weather in Atlanta tonight lots of flights were diverted to GSP. Air Tran 872, Continental 1251, Delta flights, 1515, 1705, 5508, 5386, 5087, and 5293 have all just taken off for ATL. Flights 5114 and 4972 are inbound now from ATL.

Due to increased traffic from Allegiant and anticipation of a new low-cost carrier, the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport is currently receving bids/proposals for the purchase and installation of two aircraft passenger boarding bridges. Proposals will be received until 2:00 p.m. on July 6, 2009. This will increase the number of boarding bridges from 11 to 13.

I find this very interesting as many of the current regional jet flights do use the bridges at their gates. If GSP is purchasing additional bridges (both will go on the two unused gates on the end of Concourse A) then they must be counting on future mainline plane flights. Southwest is 100% mainline. Interesting.......

I find this very interesting as many of the current regional jet flights do use the bridges at their gates. If GSP is purchasing additional bridges (both will go on the two unused gates on the end of Concourse A) then they must be counting on future mainline plane flights. Southwest is 100% mainline. Interesting.......

Yeah, I thought so too. Here is the article from the paper the other day, it basically tells that approval to purchase the two bridges has been granted. Here is an interesting quote, "The goal, he said, is