GSP International

gvillenative

I am not really too surprised by this. Cola just has not done well with the discount airlines for whatever reason. I too have noticed that Allegiant has gone daily with some of their flights, I think they are up to 19 weekly flights last time I counted. Gs, are you expecting the other routes to go daily or are you expecting more than one daily flight on certain routes?

Actually I was just looking at the August Schedule again and this is what is shows for Allegiant:

Punta Gorda: 1,6 (I thought it was more than that last time I looked?)

Orlando: X3 (this 'X" is new, what does this mean?)

Ft Lauderdale: 2,4,7

Tampa/St Pete: X2, 3, 6

This is quite different than when I looked just a couple of weeks ago. :dontknow:

I am not really too surprised by this. Cola just has not done well with the discount airlines for whatever reason. I too have noticed that Allegiant has gone daily with some of their flights, I think they are up to 19 weekly flights last time I counted. Gs, are you expecting the other routes to go daily or are you expecting more than one daily flight on certain routes?

Actually I was just looking at the August Schedule again and this is what is shows for Allegiant:

Punta Gorda: 1,6 (I thought it was more than that last time I looked?)

Orlando: X3 (this 'X" is new, what does this mean?)

Ft Lauderdale: 2,4,7

Tampa/St Pete: X2, 3, 6

This is quite different than when I looked just a couple of weeks ago. :dontknow:

Allegiant goes daily in Summer (vacation months) on certain routes, which is what they did. From my understanding, they will be going to two flights a day to Orlando on certain days. I also hear to expect service to a fifth city. As regards Punta Gorda, they still only fly from Knoxville and Greenville.....no other cities. A bit weird. X = except.

I did think it was nice to read in the article that the Allegiant spokesperson commented on how they "found success" in Greenville. I didn't realize they had been here since 2006.

In looking at Wikipedias site on Allegiant; LA, Bellingham (Washington St), and Mesa Arizona are also focus cities. Since the Vegas flight was apparently considered too far, I am assuming these are too far as well. Since they only fly to focus cities, that only leaves Miami. Could this be the Miami route the airport is persuing with their survey?

I know this is a stretch but I wonder if Allegiant would ever consider making GSP a focus city and market it as a Greenville/Asheville/Charlotte thing. Anyone think that could ever work?

I flew out of and into GSP this past weekend. The first thing I noticed when I landed back at GSP and looked out of the window at the terminal was how old and run down it looked. I also flew in back in late January but it really hit me this time. I realize that the outside is an off-white color, but it looks like it was once white and has been neglected for decades. It almost looks like a variation of the Gvillenews building. :sick: The inside seems to be stuck in the 80s with the loud carpet and the big color shapes on the walls (check out the ones in the ticketing area that look like medicine capsules). I think I mentioned this before, but it was really noticeable to me after going through some other (albeit much larger) airports. Can't help but think the appearance of the airport may give perspective airlines certain impressions that contribute to their not coming here. When was the last time GSP did some renovations? I understand that it takes a lot of money, but just in looking at sites of competing airports (ie Columbia, Knoxville, Huntsville, etc) they seem to be much more modern and clean looking. :tough:

Edited by distortedlogic

I flew out of and into GSP this past weekend. The first thing I noticed when I landed back at GSP and looked out of the window at the terminal was how old and run down it looked. I also flew in back in late January but it really hit me this time. I realize that the outside is an off-white color, but it looks like it was once white and has been neglected for decades. It almost looks like a variation of the Gvillenews building. :sick: The inside seems to be stuck in the 80s with the loud carpet and the big color shapes on the walls (check out the ones in the ticketing area that look like medicine capsules). I think I mentioned this before, but it was really noticeable to me after going through some other (albeit much larger) airports. Can't help but think the appearance of the airport may give perspective airlines certain impressions that contribute to their not coming here. When was the last time GSP did some renovations? I understand that it takes a lot of money, but just in looking at sites of competing airports (ie Columbia, Knoxville, Huntsville, etc) they seem to be much more modern and clean looking. :tough:

There was a tidbit in the Greenville Journal a few weeks ago regarding this very same issue. The new executive director of GSP said he thought the landscaping around the airport looked great but also said the terminal was stuck in the 1960's and wanted to bring it up to 21st century standards. I agree that it needs a renovation.

Edited by citylife

There was a tidbit in the Greenville Journal a few weeks ago regarding this very same issue. The new executive director of GSP said he thought the landscaping around the airport looked great but also said the terminal was stuck in the 1960's and wanted to bring it up to 21st century standards. I agree that it needs a renovation.

This is very encouraging to hear! Hopefully he will be able to get it done. If we are fortunate, we could get new service and renovations in the near future and this could really enhance the airport, and maybe even start a little of a domino effect.

I'm personally a fan of the ticket area's architecture, with the ribbon window across the top. I think it's a nice nod to its style and a nice building. It's kind of industrial on the outside, but it certainly doesn't look bad. Some freshening up might help, but I'd had to see too much changed down there in terms of the actual structure. I think some new art would be a great start. As for the actual terminal, I can't recall what sort of shape they're in...

I'm not sure how many of you have flown out of Columbia, but I do NOT prefer it over GSP. The area between ticketing and the terminals felt like the old Greenville Mall to me (shiny tile floor, large skylights, bright white paint). It felt very institutionalized and standoff-ish; kind of uncomfortable. Just my thoughts on it.

It's still being pursued.

That's not really what I was asking. I was asking if anyone had any insight on what the persuit may lead to. In other words, should we expect a, "SW and GSP are pleased to announce that...', or an "Unfortunately GSP was not able to land low-fare carrier SW..."

By the way, I read the article linked to above from Pensacola. Are you saying that we are in competition with them??

The article mentions that SW has never entered a market with less than 8 daily flights and the average is 12. That could really be a huge boost to our beloved GSP.

I read on a yahoo article the other day that SW is cutting 92 daily flights from various routes this Fall. Yikes!

Not sure if there is reason to make anythign of this or if I am just more aware of it but yesterday while watching part of a football game on ABC I saw a commercial for flying SW; sort of a promotion type commercial. I do not ever remember seeing an airline commercial before but maybe they have them all the time. :dontknow:

I have seen a lot of their commercials in the past during NBA games, as they are a big sponsor. These were national commercials and I thought nothing of it. I assume the commercial you saw was a national spot as well.

I have heard the SWA to Pensacola talk for several years. Makes sense from a vacation destination perspective, but that's about it. To my knowledge, they have no extra gates and geographically and demographically, I'm not sure if PNS makes sense for them.

I'm biased, but GSP would be a perfect fit. 2-3 flight/day to BWI. 2-3 flight/day to Chicago Midway, 2-3 flights/day to either Tampa/Orlando/or Ft. Lauderdale, and then a flight or two to Nashville and/or Raleigh would seem about right.

It's still being pursued.

Sounds like what the airport has been saying for the last ten years. When are they actually going to land a true low-cost carrier? It's time for GSP to put up or shut up. Greenville and Spartanburg Counties need to step up too and provide incentives to land Southwest Airlines.

Edited by citylife

Just a bit curious that no one has commented on the latest story that was on channel 4 last night. I at least expected some of the nay sayers to chime in about GSP being full of it, or "too small for Southwest" or "too close to Atlanta and Charlotte" or something of the sort and that GSP needs to stop dreaming thier pipe dreams...End rant...

I could be wrong but to the glass half fullers out there is it a good sign that they are in at least 2 way dialogue between the airport and the airline, instead of the usual we are actively seeking them and they arent saying much to us. Another thing with the other airlines saying competition wont bring prices down, Independence did before they went defunct, might I add not because of us because GSP filled thier flights on Independence. Sounds to me like like they dont want a little healthy competition because they wouldnt make that much of us anymore.

And with that I will fade back into oblivion for a while...

I am shocked more people aren't following this story as well. I've been out of town all week but heard about this while I was out. So it is official that there is two way dialogue and Southwest has contacted GSP for additional info. Good to see this isn't a "pie in the sky" one sided beg for Southwest to come to GSP.

I am shocked more people aren't following this story as well. I've been out of town all week but heard about this while I was out. So it is official that there is two way dialogue and Southwest has contacted GSP for additional info. Good to see this isn't a "pie in the sky" one sided beg for Southwest to come to GSP.

:shades: Yes indeed. Definitely good news to see Southwest talking to GSP and not just GSP talking to a wall. The chances of GSP landing Southwest are very good from what i'm hearing through my reliable media sources. Oh and just for the people who think airlines are cutting back: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aTz06V.lMYa8 :whistling: American Airlines to expand hubs in United States.

Edited by citylife

Oh and just for the people who think airlines are cutting back: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aTz06V.lMYa8 :whistling: American Airlines to expand hubs in United States.

Airlines are cutting back. I didn't read this article, but it may fail to mention that the expansion at these four hubs comes from reductions at other smaller hubs/focus cities. St.Louis on American will lose hub status and go from 84 flights a day down to 36 a day. Raleigh is losing flights. Some West Coast flights are being cut. International (South American) flights out of Miami are being rationalized. I read up on Americans plans yesterday while on a Delta flight.

Understand this is reallocating resources and rationalization on American's part. Nothing more. No "true" expansion.

Airlines are indeed cutting back. If you follow the news, you'll know that the U.S. now has the lowest available daily seats since right after the 9/11 attacks in 2001.

Tell that to Allegiant. They're also expanding. Check the news releases if you don't believe me: http://www.allegiantair.com/aaNewsRoom.php Oh and while American might be cutting service at St. Louis, Southwest is adding it.

Allegiant has never stopped expanding. They are one of the few airlines doing well.....glad to see they are successful at GSP as not all SC cities have been successful for them.

Read up on the industry and understand it, g-man. Southwest is expanding. Allegiant is expanding. That is about it.

Delta took over Northwest and currently rationalizing hubs....poor Cincinnati and Memphis.....one less airline.

US Airways is not long for the world unless they merge with Continental or United (and United is in no great shape).

Republic (commuter company name) bought Midwest and Frontier. Waiting to see what happens there.

Some airlines may be expanding, the airline industry is not.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.3cf1c3c.html

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...tegory=BUSINESS

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...rzPpsQD9AAO1PO0

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009091...+cuts+permanent

Don't you study economics in college g-man?? :shades:

Buried in the content of the latest article on greenvilleonline.com they airport director, in my opinion, hinted at something to the effect of new service or new cities within the next few months. Please read the article on declining traffic and tell me if I am wrong. I very well could be, but thats just what I deduced from it.