GSP International

gvillenative

So... can Greenville and Charleston lawmakers please squash the bill? I'd love to see the looks on the Columbia legislators' faces when they don't see their money coming... :whistling:

It appears that your wish is going to be granted. GSA sent out a breaking news email about how today's decision has likely killed the incentive bill.

“I don’t guess we need it anymore since they are coming without it,” said state Rep. Dan Cooper, R-Piedmont, who chairs the House Ways and Means Committee.

Interesting little tidbit from a USAirways hub city newspaper as regards Southwest starting at GSP. Discounting in Charlotte....hadn't really thought about it...... I do believe GSP will start seeing many NC tags....more from Charlotte than most people think.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/wingingit/93457944.html

The "Southwest Effect," Exhibit A. :thumbsup:

State Rep. Dan Cooper, who is chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said "there were five projects within Greenville County, three within the city, that were significantly tied" to Southwest's decision.

"I think it could help make those decisions to come here and maybe bring some headquarters here," said Cooper, R-Anderson.

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2010/05/12/1282845/southwest-decision-leaves-columbia.html#ixzz0ngvO75j5

State Rep. Dan Cooper, who is chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said "there were five projects within Greenville County, three within the city, that were significantly tied" to Southwest's decision.

"I think it could help make those decisions to come here and maybe bring some headquarters here," said Cooper, R-Anderson.

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2010/05/12/1282845/southwest-decision-leaves-columbia.html#ixzz0ngvO75j5

I love the sound of some possible new headquarters, but also jobs in general!!!

OK, now that we have Southwest, the next step is for GSP to update (modernize) their website. It really isn't the best....it could use some work. Wouldn't you think they would have the news about Southwest on their site already...... :blink:

OK, now that we have Southwest, the next step is for GSP to update (modernize) their website. It really isn't the best....it could use some work. Wouldn't you think they would have the news about Southwest on their site already...... :blink:

I second this. And while we're talking updates, the concourses could use some attention. They look very dated these days, especially the carpet. ^_^

Thinking on a more regional scale:

"In the Greenville-Spartanburg market, 27 companies being recruited have identified the lack of low-cost or daily flights as a possible impediment to coming to the Upstate, said state Sen. Larry Grooms, R-Berkeley, the chief proponent of the state incentives legislation. If all 27 companies came to the Upstate, that would equal about 14,000 jobs, he said."

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20100511/ARTICLES/100519942/-1/favicon.ico?Title=Southwest-Airlines-coming-to-GSP-Charleston-airports

OK, now that we have Southwest, the next step is for GSP to update (modernize) their website. It really isn't the best....it could use some work. Wouldn't you think they would have the news about Southwest on their site already...... blink.gif

Ummm...they do. Better check their website again. wink.gif Look right above the Allegiant advertisement on the home page.

Edited by citylife

Ummm...they do. Better check their website again. wink.gif Look right above the Allegiant advertisement on the home page.

Good. They did not have it when I checked it out.

On another note, Delta has added a few daily mainline flights back into GSP on MD-88's.

On another note, Delta has added a few daily mainline flights back into GSP on MD-88's.

Glad to hear this. I was on a Delta MD-88 this past weekend from CHS to ATL, and was surprised not to be on one of the smaller Delta Connection jets.

Are Delta flights from GSP mostly CRJ-200s and CRJ-700s? I remember being on one even smaller than that one time (the planes with two seats on one side of the aisle and one seat by itself on the other side).

GSP Airport saw four options for their renovation plans two weeks ago. The commission selected two for further development. Those two will be presented for review in July where one will be selected. The engineering work will then begin which will take several months.

Edited by citylife

Glad to hear this. I was on a Delta MD-88 this past weekend from CHS to ATL, and was surprised not to be on one of the smaller Delta Connection jets.

Are Delta flights from GSP mostly CRJ-200s and CRJ-700s? I remember being on one even smaller than that one time (the planes with two seats on one side of the aisle and one seat by itself on the other side).

Yes, the CRJ-200, CRJ-700, CRJ-900 and MD-88. Most of the 700 and 900 CRJs they fly into here have first class as well.

When I used to be a US Airways Dividend miler, I would be on the ERJ (3 across....1 and 2). Haven't seen those on any of the Delta connection carriers in a while.

On another note, great article from the GV News this weekend about Southwest, what it will mean for Greenville, how the city landed it, etc, etc. Great article. :thumbsup:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100516/BUSINESS/305160026/1004/NEWS01/Southwest-will-mean-more-to-Upstate-than-just-cheaper-fares

Yes, the CRJ-200, CRJ-700, CRJ-900 and MD-88. Most of the 700 and 900 CRJs they fly into here have first class as well.

When I used to be a US Airways Dividend miler, I would be on the ERJ (3 across....1 and 2). Haven't seen those on any of the Delta connection carriers in a while.

On another note, great article from the GV News this weekend about Southwest, what it will mean for Greenville, how the city landed it, etc, etc. Great article. :thumbsup:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100516/BUSINESS/305160026/1004/NEWS01/Southwest-will-mean-more-to-Upstate-than-just-cheaper-fares

Thanks for the info about the planes used at GSP. I was on the 3 across ERJ about 5 years ago when Delta had the direct flight from TPA to GSP, but not since. Continental still uses those, because I was on an ERJ from IAD to YYZ last month. I have never been on an ERJ with US Airways, which is surprising since I fly them a lot (not usually out of GSP though).

Great article about Southwest! I love the fact that our airport commission, city leaders, and area corporations joined forces and put together a professional (and obviously convincing) argument for Southwest service. Some people complained that GSP International Airport was not doing anything to recruit Southwest, but they were obviously wrong. Goes to show you how ignorant some people are in assuming that nothing is going on, simply because they can't see it themselves.

Great article about Southwest! I love the fact that our airport commission, city leaders, and area corporations joined forces and put together a professional (and obviously convincing) argument for Southwest service. Some people complained that GSP International Airport was not doing anything to recruit Southwest, but they were obviously wrong. Goes to show you how ignorant some people are in assuming that nothing is going on, simply because they can't see it themselves.

Agreed. Those same people tend to take internet based facts and figures as the final word, ignoring the logic of having first hand experience.

Agreed. Those same people tend to take internet based facts and figures as the final word, ignoring the logic of having first hand experience.

I'll admit I was one of those people that complained and criticized GSP for not thinking they were doing anything to land Southwest Airlines. This was a few months ago but then I found out all of the hard work they were doing to try and land the carrier with collaboration among local entities so I decided to change my tune. They put together a good proposal and even had a local incentives package to back it up if needed so I thank them for that. thumbsup.gif Oh I think we should be allowed to criticize the airport if we see fit. They do use our tax dollars and the general public are the ones that use the airport the most. Criticism is the best way for an establishment to learn what they're doing wrong and how to improve it.

Edited by citylife

I'll admit I was one of those people that complained and criticized GSP for not thinking they were doing anything to land Southwest Airlines. This was a few months ago but then I found out all of the hard work they were doing to try and land the carrier with collaboration among local entities so I decided to change my tune. They put together a good proposal and even had a local incentives package to back it up if needed so I thank them for that. thumbsup.gif Oh I think we should be allowed to criticize the airport if we see fit. They do use our tax dollars and the general public are the ones that use the airport the most. Criticism is the best way for an establishment to learn what they're doing wrong and how to improve it.

I agree. I've been very critical of the GSP website and some of the general operational decisions (like deplaning passengers through the lower level, where you must walk through the service areas under the terminal). Criticism can be good and constructive. Some, though, criticize without knowing firsthand facts or even continue to criticize when knowing positive facts. You know the ones.