GSP International

gvillenative

Just got a chance to look at the latest Journal. Love the cover!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

IMG_8733.jpg

Our company is a vendor to GSP. Some things that are coming, believe it or not, a Victoria's Secret shop. a food court plus more. The current Hudson News store will close but 2 smaller stores/kiosks will be added making a total of 4. The baggage claim will move and the current ticket counters will be changed/moved. Lots of check in pods will be added. Amazing changes. I also heard a news report yesterday that Greenville will be Southwest's #70 location and Charleston #71. Greenville service will be first to start up and have more destinations/flights than Charleston.

Our company is a vendor to GSP. Some things that are coming, believe it or not, a Victoria's Secret shop. a food court plus more. The current Hudson News store will close but 2 smaller stores/kiosks will be added making a total of 4. The baggage claim will move and the current ticket counters will be changed/moved. Lots of check in pods will be added. Amazing changes. I also heard a news report yesterday that Greenville will be Southwest's #70 location and Charleston #71. Greenville service will be first to start up and have more destinations/flights than Charleston.

You do know that today isn't April 1, right? :lol:

I've heard similar to this, but slightly different. What I heard (from a GSP person):

- The baggage claims will stay where they are, but an additional baggage claim will be added to the vacant space where the BMW vehicle currently sits on display.

- A build-out / bump out of the gate areas where Southwest will go to add additional seating space.

- A reworking of the security lanes, to go from 2 on each concourse to 4.

- A food court with multipls vendors....from what I hear, this will happen with a reconfiguration of the entire Hudson News / Windows restaurant area.

- I have NOT heard anything about Victoria's Secret.

- I've also heard Greenville service will start slightly before Charleston and will have more destinations. I believe Knox White was quoted in a recent news article stating this.

- All jetway bridges will be retrofitted with APU generator units....the two new jet bridges for Southwest came with APU's.

Edited by gsupstate

Are you saying the two new jet bridges for Southwest are already on site? Has any construction work at the gates or retrofitting of other GSP facilities begun yet?

I know the two new jet bridges were purchased. I remember thinking at that time, it was a good sign that we would land Southwest. As for being on site, they are not joined to the building, but I believe (not sure) they have been delivered and are being stored on airport property. Someone else maybe be able to verify.

-The two new jet bridges on the end of Concourse 'A' have been installed. I saw them a few days ago.

-The repaving project for GSP Drive with new curb cut installation has begun. Repaving of runway is complete.

-GSP planning commission saw four plans for the major renovation project three weeks ago and picked two of them. One of the two will be picked in July at the commission meeting then. Engineering work will then begin with project conception scheduled for March 2011. Once a final renovation plan is chosen, it is slated to be posted on GSP's website so the general public can see it.

Edited by citylife

-The two new jet bridges on the end of Concourse 'A' have been installed. I saw them a few days ago.

On the very end? Cool. When I landed Saturday they were not there. Doesn't make much sense that they installed them first, if they need to add additional gate space / bump out. :dontknow:

On the very end? Cool. When I landed Saturday they were not there. Doesn't make much sense that they installed them first, if they need to add additional gate space / bump out. dontknow.gif

Yeah, it looked like it from my vantage point. Be aware though that I was driving on GSP Drive so I could easily be wrong. scared.gif

Yeah, it looked like it from my vantage point. Be aware though that I was driving on GSP Drive so I could easily be wrong. scared.gif

Funny we were just writing about this and WYFF noon news had a story on the airport / Southwest. They showed a flyover shot of the end of Concourse A and the jet bridges are in. It looks good to see that complete end of the concourse full with gates, espcially the way the conourse gets larger at the end.

I wonder if they're eventually going to connect the two concourses post-security. That would be beneficial completely for retail, not necessarily for travelers as GSP isn't a hub or focus city, and the likelyhood of connections being made is slim at best. Does the build out at the end of Concourse A look like a larger area, maybe 10 feet wider on each side? I think Norfolk has a similar thing as well as almost every medium sized European airport I've flown into, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, etc. I ask because Google Satellite doesn't have recent updates to the area.

All of these changes at GSP International are exciting to think about. Were these changes required by Southwest in order to agree to fly out of GSP? Just curious due to the timing of all of this.

Except for maybe the two new jet bridges at the end of Concourse 'A', no other changes were required by Southwest. The renovation plan is all GSP's own doing and has nothing to do with Southwest. thumbsup.gif The new airport executive director is very forward-thinking and progressive.

Except for maybe the two new jet bridges at the end of Concourse 'A', no other changes were required by Southwest. The renovation plan is all GSP's own doing and has nothing to do with Southwest. thumbsup.gif The new airport executive director is very forward-thinking and progressive.

Excellent! Glad to hear it! :shades:

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed today, the snack bar on the Delta concourse has a large hanging sign with the Caribou Coffee logo and the fact they brew Caribou. All the cups are Caribou logo cups. I've never noticed this before, though I don't frequent this snack bar as I am typically running tight on time to catch my flights. Not having a true Caribou store in Greenville, I was certainly excited to see the airport pushing Caribou. Next best thing to a real brick and mortar store. :thumbsup:

I noticed today, the snack bar on the Delta concourse has a large hanging sign with the Caribou Coffee logo and the fact they brew Caribou. All the cups are Caribou logo cups. I've never noticed this before, though I don't frequent this snack bar as I am typically running tight on time to catch my flights. Not having a true Caribou store in Greenville, I was certainly excited to see the airport pushing Caribou. Next best thing to a real brick and mortar store. :thumbsup:

I like Caribou Coffee! Glad to see that they brew this at GSP. Hopefully a real brick-and-mortar store somewhere in the metro area is soon to follow. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Wonder which total is accurate, GSA said 84 million and Greenville News said 99 million.

$84 million for phase 1 and $15 million for phase 2. Total cost is $99 million. I couldn't find an anticipated construction start date for phase 2 so I just included phase 1 figures in my earlier post.

Isn't there already an overpass?

Yes, but part of it wasn't built correctly. The entrance ramp from GSP Airport to I-85 north isn't long enough for traffic to merge safely so now they have to go build a new one. :wacko: You can thank our great DOT for this.

Edited by citylife

I really dont care about the whole "taxpayer money" aspect of it because to be honest its been that way for years and will be for years to come. My gripe is when is it ever going to be "long enough" I've used it quite a few times and NEVER had a problem. That was the whole purpose of redirecting the Northbound Highway 14 exit and on ramps so 14 traffic and GSP traffic could flow unabbated by the other. My other gripe is they need to worry about the roads and intersections that matter like I dont know maybe fixing the screw up known as the Great I-85, 385, Woodruff Road Debacle, at least by my but that place sucks and needs more attention than an intersection that was built "wrong" Maybe people should just learn how to drive and it would fix that problem, the other problem on the other hand needs a complete teardown and rebuild from scratch and for Pete's sake get it right this time.

Edited by gvillenative