GSP International

gvillenative

An article in the paper yesterday says that as a part of lowering operating costs Independence will cut 2 flights daily to D.C. so it's going from 5 a day to 3, which is not terrible news. As for the US Airways-AirWest merger doesn't appear as though there will be any effect on flights here. Also I dont see Delta going anywhere anytime soon. So all in all good news, not the greatest but given the possibilities it could have been worse.

^ Yeah, I hated to see the Independence Air cuts at GSP, but at least GSP wasn't cut out completely like several other airports were. 3 Daily departures to Dulles is still nice. I'm really hoping the US Airways/America West merger will open up more of the West to some of the SC airports.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be kinda shocked if Southwest came to GSP instead of Charlotte, but I'd welcome it.

On that note, I've flown out of GSP once, and I never will again. The reason? Price. I can drive to Charlotte & fly out of there for a MINIMUM of $90 less than GSP. Long term parking at Douglas is less expensive than GSP as well ($3 vs. $6).

GSP's biggest problem is that it's wedged between Charlotte & Atlanta. That alone will allow GSP to only grow so much.

when was the last time you flew out of there because since independence came last year the other airlines lowered their prices to compete, so the prices aren't ridiculous anymore. its just as cheap to fly out of gsp now than atl or douglas. plus the money you may save on a ticket by driving to either one youre gonna waste on gas to get there. so for me gsp is the logical choice. JMO

when was the last time you flew out of there because since independence came last year the other airlines lowered their prices to compete, so the prices aren't ridiculous anymore. its just as cheap to fly out of gsp now than atl or douglas. plus the money you may save on a ticket by driving to either one youre gonna waste on gas to get there. so for me gsp is the logical choice. JMO

Doesn't "Fly I" connect at Reagan or Dulles for all their flights? That doesn't work for me. The vast majority of my flying takes me to points south & west of here. So for me, it makes sense to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta, where it's cheaper to fly & more options are available.

To each their own I guess.

Delta Express used to be reasonable for flying to points South and West; however, my round-trip to Orlando was over $600 this last trip! :shok:

Doesn't "Fly I" connect at Reagan or Dulles for all their flights? That doesn't work for me. The vast majority of my flying takes me to points south & west of here. So for me, it makes sense to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta, where it's cheaper to fly & more options are available.

To each their own I guess.

Yes - all flights go through Dulles, I believe.

Yes, all of Independence Air's flights go through Dulles. Reagan is more convenient if DC is your final destination, but Dulles is a great airport and it's not too bad even if you are staying in DC. Regardless of where you're going from GSP, Independence has definitely had a positive impact on all fares and I hope they are here to stay.

• 3 weeks later...

Southwest isn't coming to GSP anytime soon. Southwest flies only B737s, which need more passengers to be profitable than GSP can provide; it seems like most flights from GSP are regional jets. I'd keep an eye on Jet Blue, which is taking delivery of regional jets sometime in the near future and which has been eyeing IAD as a focus city, especially as FlyI is possibly on its last legs. GSP-IAD flights on Jet Blue seem like a decent possibility.

Edited by csedwards72

• 4 weeks later...

The good news about JetBlue is that the commuter jet that they would be running to GSP is a nice one. In fact, its a Embraer 190. I found some a pic at Airliners.net.

958998.jpg

Here is a link to the actual photo

I would love to see bigger jets at GSP, moreso than the CRJ's and the ERJ that are the bulk of service at the airport.

The good news about JetBlue is that the commuter jet that they would be running to GSP is a nice one. In fact, its a Embraer 190. I found some a pic at Airliners.net.

958998.jpg

Here is a link to the actual photo

I would love to see bigger jets at GSP, moreso than the CRJ's and the ERJ that are the bulk of service at the airport.

These Embraer jets have nice big windows, which is perfect for a guy like me that loves to keep an eye out for recognizable landmarks and take photos out the window mid-flight. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm sure y'all have read the bad news, Independence may be no more before too much longer. Although we maybe losing one airline, they did confirm that they are in active talks with JetBue. Which makes the bad news a little more bearable. All of us wanting Southwest may also be out of luck, they don't seem to be even remotely interested anymore.

Edited by gvillenative

Call it an epifany or something, but I had a really good idea for GSP. Turn Concourse B into a limited arrivals hall/charter/international arrivals, that way, there wouldn't be a rush to expand that concourse, and then expand Concouse A by 8 gates, 4 on each side, enabling all regular passenger traffic to utilize one concourse, and making things a little bit simpler. It's really wierd, I like flying Delta, but I like Concourse A better. I can't really explain it. One other thing that I like would be to have GSP require jet bridge use on all aircraft that can use them. I think that it's a liability factor having passengers walking on the tarmac. Just my opinion.

Call it an epifany or something, but I had a really good idea for GSP. Turn Concourse B into a limited arrivals hall/charter/international arrivals, that way, there wouldn't be a rush to expand that concourse, and then expand Concouse A by 8 gates, 4 on each side, enabling all regular passenger traffic to utilize one concourse, and making things a little bit simpler.

In order for that to work, more people have to fly thru GSP. As I've said before, because we're between Atlanta & Charlotte, that will limit how large GSP will grow.

Location hasn't seemed to hurt Baltimore from growing (~45 minutes from DC's two airports, and ~2 hours from Philadelphia's airport). As long as Greenville continues to grow, demand for flights will as well.

No offense intended; however, there is NO comparison between BWI and GSP. The Baltimore MSA is much larger than that of Greenville. Plus...when you consider the HORRIBLE traffic that grips D.C. at times, I'm sure flyers gratefully avoid the commute down to Dulles or Reagan and stick to BWI.