GSP International

gvillenative

• 3 weeks later...

58 page presentation document from GSP Airport on the project: http://gspairport.co...resentation.pdf

October 12th– Cost Estimates

November 14th – Final schematic design review with the Task Force

November 21st – Seek final approval of schematic design from full Commission

and seek approval to move in full design development and construction

documents

January 9th – Seek construction approval on the enabling projects and start

commencing enabling project construction

March 12th – Complete design development and ask for approval to move

forward with construction

October 2012 – Enabling Projects completed

October 2014 – Estimated completion of construction. This is for a 2 year

construction cycle which we will be discussing with the Commission as to

whether this is a 2-3 year construction project or a 4 year depending on cost and

amount of construction disruption.

Edited by citylife

Thanks for posting the video, citylife. As excited as I've been about the airport renovations, I'm sorry to say that I find the renderings in this video to be very underwhelming. The design shown here is not as ambitious as previous options considered. I was hoping for more of a mountain lodge-y feel. Where is the dark wood and earth tones?!?

Also, I don't feel that anything is really changing other than putting the one security checkpoint at the top of the stairs and having a shared concession area. While that is certainly an improvement, I would like to see more restaurants AND retail space. This renovation is supposed to get us through 2030, yes?

Again, these improvements are certainly better than what we have but for the time and money invested I am not impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

From the Greenville News:

Delta adding direct non-stop flight from GSP to NYC LaGuardia. The Embrarer 145 50-seat plane will leave GSP at 12:10 p.m. and arrive at LaGuardia at 2:05 p.m. The flight will leave LaGuardia at 9:30 a.m. and arrive at GSP at 11:40 a.m. The changes become effective July 11th.

Edited by citylife

From the Greenville News:

Delta adding direct non-stop flight from GSP to NYC LaGuardia. The Embrarer 145 50-seat plane will leave GSP at 12:10 p.m. and arrive at LaGuardia at 2:05 p.m. The flight will leave LaGuardia at 9:30 a.m. and arrive at GSP at 11:40 a.m. The changes become effective July 11th.

Excellent to hear. This will be in addition to the existing non-stop flights between GSP and LGA already offered by Delta.

According to the Federal Bureau of Transportation, GSP Airport recorded the largest airfare decrease from the second quarter of 2010 to the second quarter of 2011 in the country. The average fare at the airport in the second quarter of 2011 was $376.97, down 14.3% from 2010's average fare of $439.74.

According to the Federal Bureau of Transportation, GSP Airport recorded the largest airfare decrease from the second quarter of 2010 to the second quarter of 2011 in the country. The average fare at the airport in the second quarter of 2011 was $376.97, down 14.3% from 2010's average fare of $439.74.

The 2nd largest fare decrease was Charleston. Southwest affect indeed. The national average was an INCREASE in fares.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me tell ya, twice I had to get last minute flights on Southwest to BWI and it was a steal. On time to boot. First time in a while I have been on an on time flight into and out of GSP. I saw something on the way in on the access road from Hwy 14, maybe I'm reading into it a little too much but I saw what I believe is the old rental car lot off to the right as you turn to go to I-85 and I thought I either saw some construction equipment or some sort of activity. Was wondering if anyone else has seen it and what the signifigance is.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Depending on the viewpoint, this can either be viewed as sad or completely ignorant. In this article, GSP is called a "Southwest hub": What an amazingly out of touch statement. Southwest serves GSP, that is it. GSP isn't a hub for any airline, defintely not Southwest, which doesn't even have true hubs, though BWI, HOU, MDW, PHX, etc mimic hubs.

http://greertoday.co...omy/2012/05/26/

Edited by gs3

Southwest has a direct non-stop non-stop flight from Charleston to Las Vegas. Why doesn't Greenville? Will Greenville eventually get a direct non-stop flight to LV?

Huh? Charleston doesn't have that. They have the exact same non-stop direct destinations as GSP.

Edited by citylife

Are you sure? I was in LV and there was one listed on the arrival/departure screens. Looked like one flight a day.

I'm 100% sure. They have four direct non-stop destinations to the cities of Nashville, Baltimore, Chicago, and Houston. GSP has those same ones along with Orlando in addition. It was probably a one stopper where the passengers don't change planes if they are going to Las Vegas or vise-versa.

Edited by citylife

It was probably a one stopper where the passengers don't change planes if they are going to Las Vegas or vise-versa.

Two stops, actually, if you're outbound from Las Vegas to Charleston, Routing is through San Antonio and Nashville. Going the other way, CHS to LAS, there are no through flights; you have to change once in Baltimore, Nashville, Chicago or Houston.

Southwest has a direct non-stop non-stop flight from Charleston to Las Vegas. Why doesn't Greenville? Will Greenville eventually get a direct non-stop flight to LV?

There is no such thing as a "direct nonstop". Flights are either direct OR nonstop. Nonstop means a plane takes off from point A and lands at point B. Direct means a plane with a continuous flight number, say 301 takes off from point A, lands at point B, takes back off as the same flight number and then flies to point C. In the case of Southwest they may have two, three or even four stops in between. Charleston to Las Vegas is a direct flight, not a nonstop and Charleston only has 4 cities nonstop on Southwest. GSP has a quite a number of directs as well on Southwest, but only the 5 cities nonstop.

I'm 100% sure. They have four direct non-stop destinations to the cities of Nashville, Baltimore, Chicago, and Houston. GSP has those same ones along with Orlando in addition. It was probably a one stopper where the passengers don't change planes if they are going to Las Vegas or vise-versa.

i guess Greenville has direct flights from LV as we did not change planes on our return flight. In fact when we were boarding they announced the flight as to Nashville and on to Greenville with continuing service to Baltimore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great to see: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/jul/19/gsp-international-airport-reports-best-may-traffic-ar-4165125/ A few other details that weren't in the article:

Year to date through May, traffic is up nearly 15% at 726,752 compared to the prior-year period. Additionally, seat counts are up more than 18% as airlines offer passengers more options. Nationally, May passenger traffic was up 0.7%.

Southwest Airlines load factor continues to increase with it being at 69% in May.

Cargo traffic is also up substantially at GSP. It was up 30% in May 2012 over May 2011. Year to date through May, 23.4 million pounds of cargo moved through GSP, up almost 10%. The national average was 3.4%.