GSP International

gvillenative

GSP ranked 63rd for (highest to lowest) average cost of fares.  Much better than 2nd before Southwest came.  Charlotte, Atlanta and Charleston all more expensive.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/airfares/programs/economics_and_finance/air_travel_price_index/html/table_10.html

Not surprised to see Charleston more expensive than Greenville, but who thought that Atlanta and Charlotte would be?  Shocking, but good for GSP.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ignore the troll. I'm still waiting for Proterra to shut down like he claimed they would. Not sure why somebody living in Dallas cares so much about what is going on in this area anyways.

I've seen this many times. Probably really liked it here, but couldn't find work in his field; so he is upset. Therefore he wants things in the area to fail. Used to be one of the biggest boosters, now he is the biggest hater. Not good to hate. Brings bad things to the one hating.

If they aren't meeting their quotas, it's their own fault.  Southwest is a far cry from the "amazing airline" they used to be.

Their load factors have been only average from the start of service. The reason BNA and MCO were cut completely and BWI was cut on number of daily flights. Sadly, GSP is not working. My understanding is that GSP is currently in the bottom 5 for all cities served. On the other hand, Charleston is doing excellent.

• Like 1

From your understanding? Yeah, that definitely makes me believe it. LOL. Still don't understand why somebody living in Dallas cares about what is going on in our metro area so much. Worry about your own city. Oh and if Southwest pulls out of this area completely then so be it. We'll survive.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Their load factors have been only average from the start of service. The reason BNA and MCO were cut completely and BWI was cut on number of daily flights. Sadly, GSP is not working. My understanding is that GSP is currently in the bottom 5 for all cities served. On the other hand, Charleston is doing excellent.

Why do you care?

• Like 1

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "We may lose Southwest sir, but tomorrow I'll be in Greenville and you'll still be in Dallas."

• Like 2

This was already a very well designed airport, originally an SOM design. But, I think the renovations and new construction are looking phenomenal and bringing GSP into the current times of design and air travel. This should again set the standard for airports in SC.

This was already a very well designed airport, originally an SOM design. But, I think the renovations and new construction are looking phenomenal and bringing GSP into the current times of design and air travel. This should again set the standard for airports in SC.

I don't know what Myrtle Beach's airport looks like, but Columbia's is above average and Charleston's looks awful.  Greenville's will certainly be the nicest in SC, as it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

-For May 2014 passenger traffic was up 4.1% over the same month in 2013. 171,611 vs. 164,788. This is the second highest total of passengers on a monthly basis since January 2012.

-Total monthly enplanements for May 2014 was 86,299. This is the second highest monthly enplanement total since January 2012.

-Total monthly overall load factor for May 2014 was 86.23%. This is the highest load percentage factor since January 2012.

-NOTICE: **I couldn't find records for before January 2012.**

Oh and to gsupstate: Southwest Airlines capacity in May 2014 was 80.5%. In May 2013, it was 65.3%. Source: http://www.gspairport.com/site/user/files/39/07142014-Commission-Meeting-Documents.pdf (page 14) The more you know...

Edited by gman430

Oh and to gsupstate: Southwest Airlines capacity in May 2014 was 80.5%. In May 2013, it was 65.3%. Source: http://www.gspairport.com/site/user/files/39/07142014-Commission-Meeting-Documents.pdf (page 14) The more you know...

Unfortunately that was the only positive stat from Southwest.  After having a load factor of 57% last year which was 5th worst in their system, looks like they are only up to 65% despite the 80% from May.  Not sure where that ranks now, but can't think that moves GSP too high up.  Also, while the load factor was at 80.5%, that is mostly b/c of all the flight cuts by Southwest.  May of 2013 actually had 2211 more passengers than this year.  That's an 11% drop.  GSP's avg was a 4% growth and AA had a 1% growth, Delta 16%, and US Airways a 20% growth in number of passenger flown.  United was the only other of the 5 major airlines with a decline in passengers at -6% so Southwest's drop is certainly alarming!

Edited by rssgvegas

Southwest. Not the airport in general terms. Southwest numbers are continuing to fall. See page 14. 

I honestly don't understand why anyone would fly Southwest.  Their fares aren't usually the cheapest.  They have an unfamiliar boarding process.  You have to pay extra if you want to reserve a seat.  The only places they fly from GSP are Chicago, Houston, and Baltimore.  Only one of those was a new destination from GSP (Baltimore), and it is in the Washington-Baltimore metro area which was already well served by GSP.

If Southwest had the lowest fares, people would probably be willing to put up with having to stop in one of the aforementioned cities to go where they need to go.  But with only 4 arrivals into GSP, and 4 departures out of GSP each day, and to destinations which aren't really new for GSP travelers, it's no wonder they aren't doing well.

Before anyone tells me that Southwest lowered the fares from GSP...I'm not debating that.  But now that other airlines have reduced their prices as well, and Southwest isn't usually the cheapest, it's up to Southwest to do the other things well.  They must not be, or else their planes wouldn't have so many empty seats on them.  Most of the other airlines at GSP are doing well.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would fly Southwest.  Their fares aren't usually the cheapest.  They have an unfamiliar boarding process.  You have to pay extra if you want to reserve a seat.  The only places they fly from GSP are Chicago, Houston, and Baltimore.  Only one of those was a new destination from GSP (Baltimore), and it is in the Washington-Baltimore metro area which was already well served by GSP.

If Southwest had the lowest fares, people would probably be willing to put up with having to stop in one of the aforementioned cities to go where they need to go.  But with only 4 arrivals into GSP, and 4 departures out of GSP each day, and to destinations which aren't really new for GSP travelers, it's no wonder they aren't doing well.

Before anyone tells me that Southwest lowered the fares from GSP...I'm not debating that.  But now that other airlines have reduced their prices as well, and Southwest isn't usually the cheapest, it's up to Southwest to do the other things well.  They must not be, or else their planes wouldn't have so many empty seats on them.  Most of the other airlines at GSP are doing well.

In defense of Southwest, they at least do somethings right.  Their customer service rep is great, considered the best in the business.  Checked bags are free (that should be considered when comparing fares).  If you check in online the day before you're flight you're pretty much guaranteed a boarding number that gets you a pick of the seat you desire.  You can connected to almost anywhere in the US in 1 stop, and you're on a nice, spacious plane that has a much better chance of beating cancellations and delays due to air traffic control that the dreaded regional jets from GSP suffer from so much. 

I get that Southwest isn't for everyone though and I know it isn't the preferred choice of business travelers, which is why I think it suffers at GSP.  Greenville is a business destination and flyers are very loyal to their airline rewards number.  Also since their fuel hedging advantage of years past has worn off, their prices have started to rise, taking away a lot of low fare options of the specials they always run.  Their was a time when those "ding" fares would offer extremely cheap prices to a ton of places.  Now, unless it's a nonstop, those cheap fares don't pop up as much.

Still, they have lowered fares across the board and I do think people should give them the benefit of the doubt over other airlines if all things are equal b/c if Southwest does pull out, those other airlines fares will skyrocket again and GSP passengers won't have anyone to blame but themselves!

Edited by rssgvegas