GSP International

gvillenative

50 minutes ago, mallguy said:

Charlotte does not have a Dunkin Donuts; its has Starbucks all around.

LOL. So if you think there are negative connotations based on the presence of Dunkin, then what do people think about the presence of a Bojangles? How silly.

I'll be grabbing a Dunkin Donuts coffee on my flight out of DCA on Friday. Hmm, maybe I'll snag another upon landing at GSP? I'm glad to have the option!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

LOL. So if you think there are negative connotations based on the presence of Dunkin, then what do people think about the presence of a Bojangles? How silly.

I'll be grabbing a Dunkin Donuts coffee on my flight out of DCA on Friday. Hmm, maybe I'll snag another upon landing at GSP? I'm glad to have the option!

It's a first impression of a city.  The first impression, if you see a Bojangles, Dunkin Donuts, Bass Pro Shops or a Donald Trump sign, is that Greenville is what you'd think of the South: low-income, rednecky.  That is not an accurate first impression at all. 

15 minutes ago, mallguy said:

It's a first impression of a city.  The first impression, if you see a Bojangles, Dunkin Donuts, Bass Pro Shops or a Donald Trump sign, is that Greenville is what you'd think of the South: low-income, rednecky.  That is not an accurate first impression at all. 

Can you name a US city that doesn't have a Dunkin Donuts, or a fast food restaurant?  Bass Pro Shop is a helluva lot more prestigious than a Dick's Sporting Goods.

50 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Can you name a US city that doesn't have a Dunkin Donuts, or a fast food restaurant?  Bass Pro Shop is a helluva lot more prestigious than a Dick's Sporting Goods.

On the main entryway into town? Plenty. 

It would be great to have no gun stores, Bojangle's, Dunkin Donuts, Donald Trump signs, etc. at the airport or on the main entrance all the way to downtown.  The airport itself is very attractive. 

People just need to think: "is Dunkin Donuts the best tenant in this spot?  Will it make the best impression on investors?  Will it make people think that Greenville is a well-educated, leading city among cities of its size?"

While I'm not a Trump supporter, I have some good news for you mallguy...the election is over tonight so the signs will be coming down and your "tolerant" friends can stop judging you because they saw a sign from a candidate they oppose on their way into our fair city. Maybe we could persuade visitors that Bass Pro Shops is a prestigious guitar store...wake up man, you're in South Carolina, people hunt and fish, more than half of them will probably vote for Trump, and Dunkin Donuts isn't default southern redneck...have you ever been to Boston???

• Like 1

15 hours ago, olrob said:

While I'm not a Trump supporter, I have some good news for you mallguy...the election is over tonight so the signs will be coming down and your "tolerant" friends can stop judging you because they saw a sign from a candidate they oppose on their way into our fair city. Maybe we could persuade visitors that Bass Pro Shops is a prestigious guitar store...wake up man, you're in South Carolina, people hunt and fish, more than half of them will probably vote for Trump, and Dunkin Donuts isn't default southern redneck...have you ever been to Boston???

I spent years living in Boston, actually.  The Dunkin Donuts demographic there is the same: downscale.

Whoa, just heard that President Elect Donald Trump was headed into Greenville as part of his victory tour. Apparently he was totally disgusted by the "downscale" Dunkin Donuts at our Third World airport (he said it compares unfavorably to Juba International Airport, South Sudan which has NO Starbucks at all). He was also very disappointed to find no Trump signs at the entrance to our fair city (what were we thinking?).

President Elect Trump was also appalled to see a Cabela's as he approached Greenville but he understood that Joe Dirt and the rest of his inbred family needed a place to call home and so at least they have Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop or Bubba's Sushi and Bait Shop or whatever....hell, them Greenville rednecks need a place to call home....some of us fools thought we were making progress but apparently Dunkin Donuts, Cabela's and/or Bass Pro are relegating us to a second or third class city.

If only we could have a Saks or House of Bijan on Whitehorse at the entrance to Greenville that would give a great first impression of our town...

Edit: BTW, have spent a  lot of time in Boston...it sucks

Edited by olrob
  • Like 1

This thread is getting ridiculous.  Big picture: planners should keep aesthetics and creating a positive image of Greenville as a well-educated, nice city (which it is) in mind.  No neon, Trump signs, trashy businesses, anything that is rednecky, etc. along main entryways into town.

Edited by mallguy

1 hour ago, mallguy said:

This thread is getting ridiculous.  Big picture: planners should keep aesthetics and creating a positive image of Greenville as a well-educated, nice city (which it is) in mind.  No neon, Trump signs, trashy businesses, anything that is rednecky, etc. along main entryways into town.

Stop being bitter about the election and dragging it into urbanplanet, if the "Trump" name is trashy in your opinion maybe you should move out of the area, or should I say country now? And no, I did NOT vote for him but he is OUR president elect now, his name is on places like Trump Tower NYC, Chicago, MarLargo ect, places most people would not consider trashy and most likely none of his real estate has any fast food ties. Since when are guns trashy or have anything to do with the airport? Its obvious you are an extreme leftist unaware of where you live?! 

As a former resident and someone who used to use GSP for work I can tell you the first impression is GREAT, have been to another airport? Name one airport larger than GSP without a fast food joint????? NONE. All the trees and even the smoking area courtyard are beautiful and hide much of the industrial aspect of the airport lol!.The drive into downtown is also GREAT, 385 is one of the best aesthetically pleasing highways into a city center I have seen. I would probably know since I lived there and have been to 48 states and probably more airports than that!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mallguy said:

Don't feel that I'm 'rednecky'....from the 'basket of deplorables'. Is that the same?

Edited by cabelagent

You do realize a large portion of the Greenville pop is blue collar right? 

On 11/8/2016 at 8:39 AM, mallguy said:

Compared to a Dunkin Donuts, wouldn't a Starbucks or a one-of-a-kind coffee house have created a better impression of Greenville?  A Dunkin Donuts (which targets less-educated and lower-income consumers) being one of the first things that visitors see is like the Bass Pro Shops at I-85 and I-385: kind of like having a Donald Trump campaign sign right at the entrance to a city.

Why do you constantly insist on trash talking the people of this great city?  If we are too "common" for you maybe you should go back to NY or SF or some other city that fits your tastes better.

1 hour ago, btoy said:

Why do you constantly insist on trash talking the people of this great city?  If we are too "common" for you maybe you should go back to NY or SF or some other city that fits your tastes better.

As I've stated repeatedly, Greenville is a beautiful, desirable city with a great population.  The few trashy THINGS (not people) in it (Dunkin Donuts, Trump signs,* etc.) create an incorrect image of the city for newcomers.  Greenville and its people are not trashy, and the few trashy THINGS, particularly at gateways to the city, need to be corrected so that a correct image of Greenville is the first thing that people see.

We need well-educated and highly skilled people to come to Greenville to invest and create well-paying jobs.  Putting up indicia that Greenville is a rednecky place--which, as I've repeatedly said, it is not--harms the ability to attract them by creating an incorrect image of Greenville.

For example, I know one senior executive (a very affluent Republican) at a Fortune 100 corporation who came to Greenville for business; when I asked him what part of town he was in, he said, "I don't really know--we kept going back and forth by that Cabela's."  That's how we want Greenville to be remembered?

There are a lot more trashy things AND PEOPLE in NY than Greenville. 

*I know that Greenville County went for Trump, but most of his voters in Greenville probably did so out of concerns about Hillary, not because they're "deplorables".

Edited by mallguy

3 hours ago, mallguy said:

For example, I know one senior executive (a very affluent Republican) at a Fortune 100 corporation who came to Greenville for business; when I asked him what part of town he was in, he said, "I don't really know--we kept going back and forth by that Cabela's."  That's how we want Greenville to be remembered?

I am not inserting myself in any of the foregoing back-and-forth. I'm asking honest questions.

So, you're indicating that the executive considered Cabela's a negative? Or that you regret that Cabela's was his point of reference? Or both? It could just as easily have been Nordstrom Rack. Or Sears Outlet.

What would you do about Cabela's? I'm assuming that this executive is describing going back and forth on 385. Here in Charlotte, the trip downtown from the airport  (or in just about any direction) is not pleasing. If you fly in to Concord Regional, you're faced with Bass Pro Shops looming over the highway, not to mention "Jeff Gordon this" and "Dale Earnhardt that". I'm not aware that any of this affects people's overall impressions of Charlotte.

1 hour ago, Exile said:

I am not inserting myself in any of the foregoing back-and-forth. I'm asking honest questions.

So, you're indicating that the executive considered Cabela's a negative? Or that you regret that Cabela's was his point of reference? Or both? It could just as easily have been Nordstrom Rack. Or Sears Outlet.

What would you do about Cabela's? I'm assuming that this executive is describing going back and forth on 385. Here in Charlotte, the trip downtown from the airport  (or in just about any direction) is not pleasing. If you fly in to Concord Regional, you're faced with Bass Pro Shops looming over the highway, not to mention "Jeff Gordon this" and "Dale Earnhardt that". I'm not aware that any of this affects people's overall impressions of Charlotte.

His image of Greenville was that it was inhabited by lots of the lower-income demographic, based on that Cabela's and a few other things.  It is sad that Cabela's was his point of reference because that is not an accurate image at all of Greenville and there are so many other nice things there.

It's tough to do anything about Cabela's.  I'd prefer that it not be there, but that's not a realistic preference.  There are plenty of choices that planners can make in order to offset that, though, starting with having higher-end stores at the airport (no Dunkin Donuts).  I would try to clean up some of the stuff along I-85 in between the airport and Pelham Road; there are some tacky signs and tacky stores.

Charlotte's impressive skyline is visible from most everywhere so even if you see the NASCAR stuff, you see the impressive uptown skyline (which, I know, includes a NASCAR building) and thus know that Charlotte has a strong high-end center.

Based on what you posted from the conversation, he merely used the building as a location point of reference, as it is a very visible building, and you just read your own interpretation into it. 

Exactly what is the difference between Dick's Sporting Goods and Cabela's, except Cabela's is bigger and more outdoor focused?  

So back to the topic of GSP, I was checking out the Google Satellite view, and it shows the basic outlines completed. Is the garden going to be landside or airside? Also, what are the opinions of the feasibility of glass jetbridges. I've seen that Huntsville, AL now has them, and I think Amarillo TX has them as well. I think that they would work really well for GSP. 

45 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Based on what you posted from the conversation, he merely used the building as a location point of reference, as it is a very visible building, and you just read your own interpretation into it. 

Exactly what is the difference between Dick's Sporting Goods and Cabela's, except Cabela's is bigger and more outdoor focused?  

He said that Greenville had a lot of the target market for his product (low-income/blue collar--otherwise Cabela's never would have opened there, he said).

Dick's is for suburbanites; Cabela's is for hunting and fishing and the like.

Edited by mallguy

He said that Greenville had a lot of the target market for his product (low-income/blue collar--otherwise Cabela's never would have opened there, he said).

Dick's is for suburbanites; Cabela's is for hunting and fishing and the like.

Have you been in Cabela"s? I wouldn't consider this a store for the low-income,

9 minutes ago, SVL said:

Have you been in Cabela"s? I wouldn't consider this a store for the low-income,

Yes, and I was curious about it so I researched the company's target demographic.  It's rural people who like hunting and fishing.  It's trying to move more into the mainstream, but that's its target.