GSP International

gvillenative

Actually, the reason that they are never open too long is because of the Airport Commisson. They don't want or like competition with Windows, the restaurant/bar downstairs, so the commission mandates the operating hours, and Windows gets a percentage of the profits. I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Someone said once (perhaps in this thread) that the "international" status an airport is given is based on whether it has a customs office on site. I don't know if that is the only requirement, but it is certainly a factor.

Yeah, Customs is pretty much the only reason. Aside from cargo planes, they basicly revieve no international passenger traffic except charter flights from Germany (for some reason) ;) International flights usually connect through Atlanta.

Yeah, Customs is pretty much the only reason. Aside from cargo planes, they basicly revieve no international passenger traffic except charter flights from Germany (for some reason) ;) International flights usually connect through Atlanta.

GSP gets charters to Mexican and Carribean vacation spots also. Nice to be able to fly direct on these and clear customs in Greenville. :thumbsup:

Not really about GSP, but Jetblue just announced service to several new cities starting over the next 2 months. Unfortunately GSP is not one of them. One of them is service to Portland, Maine, an airport similar in size to GSP. It served about 1.4 million last year, quite a bit less than GSP. I would also venture to say that the larger metro area of Portland is quite a bit less. Is the upstate doing something wrong (or not doing something right) in trying to recruit Jet Blue srvice?

I know that southwest airlines has been mentioned here before, and in the name of dreaming big, I have a couple of ideas about them. I would love for Southwest to start service from GSP to places like Denver, LAX, Las Vegas, pheonix, st louis, san francisco, seattle, and maybe dallas and a couple other places. Now obviously, the upstate alone could not fill all these flights. So, southwest would also start commuter flights from places like greensboro, roanoke, asheville, charleston, florence, savannah, roanoke, knoxville, myrtle beach, richmond, and raleigh-durham. In this way, GSP would become a mini- southeastern hub for southwest. GSP is in an EXCELLENT l;ocation for something like this, and already has plans for a second runway and councourse expansion. What do you guys and gals think?

I think that'd be awesome! The upstate is growing SO fast. Expansion would be great! this is actually great for all of SC, since GSP is possibly the state's leading airport (?).

With all the businesses already coming to the area, I could see more international businesses joining the mix BECAUSE of the airport.

Not really about GSP, but Jetblue just announced service to several new cities starting over the next 2 months. Unfortunately GSP is not one of them. One of them is service to Portland, Maine, an airport similar in size to GSP. It served about 1.4 million last year, quite a bit less than GSP. I would also venture to say that the larger metro area of Portland is quite a bit less. Is the upstate doing something wrong (or not doing something right) in trying to recruit Jet Blue srvice?

GSP isn't doing anything wrong. Portland is just nearer JFK and BOS, where Jet Blue has large operations. GSP is way far away- I think Jet Blue's closest operations are Florida and the Northeast. Wouldn't yet make sense to just have GSP in the middle of all that- would be too costly (kind of like Belk's putting a store in Montana, way far away from its distribution centers and other markets).

I think that once Jet Blue invades the South (which could be accelerated if Delta goes under), GSP will be on its radar screen.

I think that not having another Jet Blue hub near GSP would be a positive. Right now I drive to Atlanta to fly, because the gas and even a hotel are a lot of times cheaper than flying out of GSP. If Jet Blue were to come, then you could potentially have people from the Upstate, Charlotte, Georgia, and Western NC coming to Spartanburg to fly out of GSP. If they did there proper research and chose cities wisely, then I personally would be first in line to fly Jet Blue.

There was an article today in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that stated that if Delta goes belly up, it will obviously take several weeks, but AirTran and several other carriers will be moving to fill the void, which without stating the obvious, AirTran will more than likely serve GSP. Also, Delta is what kept AirTran out of GSP from what I've been told.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, jetblue is adding flight to Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, so it looks like they are looking in our direction. If you go to their website, jetblue.com, click on "our cities." There is a line that says they are looking for new cities and asks for suggestions. I did this, and it says to put which city and airport you want them to consider, and if they pick it, they will send you an email back. If all of us go in and put Greenville (or spartanburg) and GSP, maybe that will tell them there is a demand around here. It can't hurt! :)

Hey guys, jetblue is adding flight to Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte, so it looks like they are looking in our direction. If you go to their website, jetblue.com, click on "our cities." There is a line that says they are looking for new cities and asks for suggestions. I did this, and it says to put which city and airport you want them to consider, and if they pick it, they will send you an email back. If all of us go in and put Greenville (or spartanburg) and GSP, maybe that will tell them there is a demand around here. It can't hurt! :)

Thanks dl! I went on and checked GSP. Hopefully all Upstate forumers will!