GSP International

gvillenative

According to the FAQ on tsa.gov"

"Starting January 22, 2018, travelers who do not have a license or identification card from a compliant state or a state that has been granted an extension will be asked to provide alternate acceptable identification. If you cannot provide an acceptable form of identification, you will not be permitted through the security checkpoint."

Couple that with this information from dhs.gov:

"South Carolina has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses and identification cards from South Carolina at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 10, 2018."

Although South Carolina will not be issuing compliant licenses and IDs until late March, residents can submit the required documentation to any SCDMV office beginning now; their REAL ID-compliant cards will be issued when the system is ready to process them. 

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

This is very confusing.  So when boarding an airplane will SC residents need more than a DL?

Correct. Every resident in every state will need a real ID eventually if you want to board a plane unless you have a passport or military ID. For S.C. residents, it is October 1st, 2020 for when you will start needing this. A DL will no longer work after that date. Only a Real ID, passport, or military ID will work if you want to board a plane: http://www.scdmvonline.com/-/driver-services/drivers-license/real-id

About REAL ID

The US Congress passed the REAL ID Act of 2005 as a result of the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation to standardize government-issued identifications, like driver’s licenses. This is a federal law that affects federal agencies, federal buildings, and military bases. A REAL ID license is valid for no more than eight years.

If you do not think you’ll have a need to fly or visit a federal building, you do not need a REAL ID. If you have a valid US Passport or military ID, or another federally approved identification, you may use that as your identification when you travel instead of changing your license or identification card. Federal buildings and military installations may have different, specific identification requirements. You should contact the facility directly to see what it will accept.

South Carolina's Status

The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has granted the state's request for an implementation extension to become REAL ID compliant. This extension means South Carolina's current, unexpired SC driver's licenses or identification cards will continue to be accepted as your identification to board domestic flights, enter secure federal buildings, and visit military installations through October 10, 2018. It is anticipated that this is the last extension request the state will have to submit. 

In the meantime, the SCDMV is working towards certification to issue REAL ID licenses and IDs. The SCDMV and State of South Carolina anticipate being fully compliant and issuing REAL ID licenses and IDs during the first quarter of 2018.

October 1, 2020 Deadline

When the state is certified compliant, your current, unexpired South Carolina driver's license or identification card may be used as your identification to board domestic flights, enter secure federal buildings, and visit military installations until October 1, 2020. 

On October 1, 2020¸ you must have a REAL ID license, ID, or another type of federally approved identification, such as a valid US Passport or military ID, to board a commercial flight or visit a federal building. If you’re planning to visit a military base, you’re encouraged to check with the individual base for what it will accept as valid identification.

Edited by gman430

28 minutes ago, RiverWalker said:

I thought the underlined portions made it very clear: you should be good until October 10, 2018.

As of right now it is until that date but after S.C. goes into compliance the first quarter of this year you will be good all the way until 10-01-2020 with just a DL. 

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

As of right now it is until that date but after S.C. goes into compliance the first quarter of this year you will be good all the way until 10-01-2020 with just a DL. 

Not sure where you're getting that information/interpretation, Gman. I won't challenge you on factual terms, as it is possible that you are correct. For now, however, color me skeptical. In the meantime, I recommend that people err on the side of caution and obtain a compliant ID as early as practical to avoid the possibility of encountering any airport delays. (And I am not personally concerned one way or another, as I have a federal ID. I just don't want general citizens to suffer as a result of this uncertainty.)

• 3 weeks later...

OK I get it now. I will be ok when boarding I board a domestic flight with just my DL. However unless I am reading it wrong people like myself that have had a SC DL for 40-50  years or longer will have to physically take an original birth certificate to the DMV. This seems like a little much to me. Why? 

• 4 weeks later...

Well Frontier continues to expand aggressively. Just added 35 New routes and 4 New cities,  including new service to MYB, with 3 routes, and even new service to SAV with 2 routes. Also adding more service to CHS and RDU. This following several large expansions over the past 6 months. Sadly, GSP continues to get the snub from them, got to be one of the busiest airports in the country they still don't serve. We've just got to get some new service eventually... don't we? Either one of these airlines needs to step up, or we really need to up our incentive game... or both. Come on Frontier and JetBlue!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

GSP is trying to land both carriers. Not sure why they’re reluctant to come here. Maybe it has to do with Southwest reducing service over the past few years. Who knows. 

Are they doing enough?  Is this a situation requiring additional incentives not on the table?

Edited by cabelagent

23 hours ago, gman430 said:

...Maybe it has to do with Southwest reducing service over the past few years. Who knows. 

This makes the most sense to me. If GSP couldn't keep the original 5 Southwest routes, JetBlue & Frontier are probably skeptical they can do any better.

Is there that much demand for a Denver or LV nonstop? Seems to me that Allegiant would've stepped in if LV had potential.

5 hours ago, btoy said:

Didn't Allegiant have a Las Vegas route when they first came to Greenville and they dropped it.

I always heard it was dropped due to it being on the end of the range of the aircraft  they flew, not to poor performance. I think they have since changed  aircraft though ?Knoxville still has a Vegas flight.

Perhaps I just tend to overestimate GSP. I have long thought directs to places like Miami, Boston, Denver, Vegas, LAX, SFO, would do just fine (despite the CLT and ATL effect) but no airline will even give it a go. It confuses me however, that airports like Knoxville and Greensboro can add some of those and GSP can't. And CHS may be on its way to becoming another RDU. Even AVL continues to add service, and has grown by 50% in passengers in five years. With the economy, the upstate growth, the growth of peer airports, and even GSP's slow but steady passenger increase, HOW is it not getting any new service? 

Edited by distortedlogic

This makes the most sense to me. If GSP couldn't keep the original 5 Southwest routes, JetBlue & Frontier are probably skeptical they can do any better.
Is there that much demand for a Denver or LV nonstop? Seems to me that Allegiant would've stepped in if LV had potential.

I have no clue that’s just personally what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, gman430 said:

So Asheville just got direct non stop service to Denver via Allegiant. Uhhh...

Wow, I'm quite surprised by that. Allegiant also serves BWI and EWK for them. This has got to be driven by tourism, AVL just doesn't have the population base to support the flights they have. Well, another airport GSP has to try to compete with...

I believe that virtually every airport within a four hour radius of us (besides CAE) has added flights over the past couple years; Knoxville, CHS, PTI, all the bigger ones, and now AVL. What are we not doing right?

51 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Wow, I'm quite surprised by that. Allegiant also serves BWI and EWK for them. This has got to be driven by tourism, AVL just doesn't have the population base to support the flights they have. Well, another airport GSP has to try to compete with...

I believe that virtually every airport within a four hour radius of us (besides CAE) has added flights over the past couple years; Knoxville, CHS, PTI, all the bigger ones, and now AVL. What are we not doing right?

I questioned this earlier....something is not happening  & appears  GSP is getting the short end of the stick with adding more attractive flights. I hope this changes.....soon.

1 hour ago, cabelagent said:

I questioned this earlier....something is not happening  & appears  GSP is getting the short end of the stick with adding more attractive flights. I hope this changes.....soon.

David Edwards, the commissioner, came from AVL. He has a very good resume and reputation, and grew AVL a lot while he was there. He's also spearheaded the Wingspan program here, and I know he's been in talks with airlines, but yeah, it seems SOMETHING is missing. It's just hard to figure, with the steady population growth, the economy and industry growth, and the increased exposure we've had over the past ten years ( we're not a true tourist area, but it's a lot more than it used to be) that airlines have shown no interest in ANY new routes. If other peer airports weren't adding routes it probably wouldn't be any big deal but...