GSP International

gvillenative

I think this route is going to do well....and I am sure American did its homework. With all the people who go to Florida for cruises, Miami is not a little more viable. For everyone who likes the Caribbean, it just got a bit easier. Plus...we are now even more tied into the American Air network with access to an additional hub.  My question is...is this an additional two routes or are two routes being pulled from other American hubs that we already serve? 

59 minutes ago, Upstate Guy said:

I think this route is going to do well....and I am sure American did its homework. With all the people who go to Florida for cruises, Miami is not a little more viable. For everyone who likes the Caribbean, it just got a bit easier. Plus...we are now even more tied into the American Air network with access to an additional hub.  My question is...is this an additional two routes or are two routes being pulled from other American hubs that we already serve? 

Just like you saw with the new flights Chicago and New York City, this is additional service that is being added not service being taken away from elsewhere. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

:good:This is  a good addition. Interesting that AA is the only airline adding flights. :dontknow: Are these the tiny planes with 2 rows on one side and 1 on the other, seat about 50? 

Great to see a new destination, first one in awhile. Now let's  get Boston, Denver, Vegas, LAX, an Ohio flight and we'll be able to use our own airport a lot more! 

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, gvillenative said:

Anyone have any guesses if this new announcement tomorrow is just an existing  airline expanding, or a new one coming in to the market?  Reference is GSP’s  Facebook page. Can’t get it to paste the link I copied.

Just saw Fox Carolina story says they are adding a new airline! Gotta  be Frontier or JetBlue. My guess is Frontier as they have been expanding significantly and I was told it was possible this year. Would be awesome news!:w00t:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Just looked at Frontiers site and they have GSP listed as a city in the drop down box! :w00t:

I checked a few cities to see what would come up, looks like nonstop to Denver and Vegas 2/week starting  in Sept? Don't quote me now! :w00t:

10am announcement today. :yahoo: 

6 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Just looked at Frontiers site and they have GSP listed as a city in the drop down box! :w00t:

I checked a few cities to see what would come up, looks like nonstop to Denver and Vegas 2/week starting  in Sept? Don't quote me now! :w00t:

Orlando too. 

All this being said, Allegiant figured out the Vegas route didn’t work with MD-88’s. So that should mean Frontier will at least fly 37’s out west. I’m saying this without knowing what their fleet consists of, so I’m just assuming. As a semi frequent flyer it’s a welcome sight for western flights and more mainline aircraft coming to GSP. Too grown to be comfortable in the smaller jets. Lol.

I hope these flights do very well and are full so that Frontier can expand offerings from Wednesday and Saturday to every day and more destinations. I also hope that with the addition of Frontier that Jet Blue gives us a little more attention and the other airlines drop their prices a bit more. Overall...I am very excited to see GSP grow and succeed. 

1 hour ago, Upstate Guy said:

I hope these flights do very well and are full so that Frontier can expand offerings from Wednesday and Saturday to every day and more destinations. I also hope that with the addition of Frontier that Jet Blue gives us a little more attention and the other airlines drop their prices a bit more. Overall...I am very excited to see GSP grow and succeed. 

Ditto, great news. They could be what we had hoped SW was going to be in terms of service and expansion.

BTW,  I saw where JetBlue  is going to be starting a new budget airline in 2020, with a focus on smaller markets. Could be a potential there as well.:dontknow:

Can't even find a mention of this on WYFF! :blink:

Edited by distortedlogic

Well, I booked a flight to Las Vegas on the very first flight out so I am doing my part. 

Funny how much more fanfare and celebration there was when Southwest announced coming to GSP over this yet Frontier is doing the exact same thing if not more. Lol. Go figure. 

Atta boy gman! 

As for fanfare, I wonder how many people in this area are famiar with Frontier, probably not many. I hope the airport can do some good  marketing. Just look at CHS  and RDU to see how Frontier is willing to expand if the demand is there. WYFF not even having a mention of this last night or this morning is a great example of how not to drum up some excitement for a new airline.

If SW  had not changed their model and bought Airtran it would have been way better for us. Certainly we are better with them, but i have been pretty disappointed with "the SW effect" for GSP. Three flights to ATL  doesn't really scream expansion and opportunity.

11 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Ditto, great news. They could be what we had hoped SW was going to be in terms of service and expansion.

BTW,  I saw where JetBlue  is going to be starting a new budget airline in 2020, with a focus on smaller markets. Could be a potential there as well.:dontknow:

Can't even find a mention of this on WYFF! :blink:

Channel 4 did a good story on it tonight, with film, interviews etc. The destinations posted are correct. Flights are Wednesday and Saturday's. 

From the Greenville Snooze...errr...News: 

"Denver-based Frontier Airlines announced plans Tuesday to begin nonstop service to Denver, Las Vegas and Orlando beginning in September, giving the Greer airport direct access to those cities for the first time."

Allegiant and Southwest would like a word. :rolleyes::lol::ermm:

• Haha 1

I think GSP has been working on a new master plan. The last one  came out in 2003 and is seriously outdated. There have been lots of changes: Independence, SW, Frontier, Allegiant, mergers, the recession, Wingspan. Through it all GSP has grown and serves more passengers, though many destinations were lost along the way via mergers. Anyone know anything about the status of that new plan or when it might be released?

More flights coming to GSP. This time in the cargo department: https://www.gspairport.com/pages/news-and-community/detail/article/c/a53/

Boeing 747-400 to Querétaro Intercontinental Airport which is in Mexico. Departs GSP on Sunday’s and returns on Monday’s with Senator Intermational.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

I was going to post something about that last week. I was looking at inbound and outbound flight info into GSP on my Flightradar24 app and that caught my eye.  Looks like they have been doing that route for at least a month and a half. I do have a question though for the airline aficionados out there. Are Air Atlanta Icelandic and Saudia Cargo subsidiaries of Senator?  Because from the looks of it there are already  Atlanta Icelandic and Saudia flights going to and from. Sorry for rambling but curiosity got the best of me.