GSP International

gvillenative

I like the parking system showing how many spots are available in each direction within a certain garage and having the green/red color changing lights above the driving aisles showing where spots are available. Nice feature. 

Flew on SW to Atlanta and the flight was completely full also. Good to see. I will never understand though why they cut service especially to Chicago while every other airline at GSP is either keeping or adding it. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 11:57 PM, distortedlogic said:

I think GSP has been working on a new master plan. The last one  came out in 2003 and is seriously outdated. There have been lots of changes: Independence, SW, Frontier, Allegiant, mergers, the recession, Wingspan. Through it all GSP has grown and serves more passengers, though many destinations were lost along the way via mergers. Anyone know anything about the status of that new plan or when it might be released?

McFarland Johnson is leading the GSP Airport Master Plan. A Commission Task Force meeting and a Technical Advisory Committee meeting was held on June 25 to review the preferred alternatives. The Master Plan is scheduled to be completed and ready for submittal to the FAA in October.

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Air Canada slated to start nonstop direct service to Toronto from GSP. Announcement coming soon. Page 5 under “President/CEO Report”: https://www.gspairport.com/site/user/files/1/GSP-Commission-Package-20180709.pdf

"...in anticipation of securing future air service to Toronto." Not to throw cold water on this, but to me that doesn't read like the prelude to an announcement.

2 hours ago, Exile said:

"...in anticipation of securing future air service to Toronto." Not to throw cold water on this, but to me that doesn't read like the prelude to an announcement.

Key words there: “In anticipation of” 

Seems kind of odd to list an exact airline and destination if this wasn’t moving forward. 

Edited by gman430

37 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Key words there: “In anticipation of” 

Seems kind of odd to list an exact airline and destination if this wasn’t moving forward. 

Just seems like GSP is trying to get service.  If this was anywhere close to a done deal why would the Staff be "in the process of gathering information for Air Canada"?

42 minutes ago, rssgvegas said:

Just seems like GSP is trying to get service.  If this was anywhere close to a done deal why would the Staff be "in the process of gathering information for Air Canada"?

Yeah, maybe I am reading too much into it. Just not sure why GSP is going after Air Canada and Toronto over every other carrier and international destination out there. 

14 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yeah, maybe I am reading too much into it. Just not sure why GSP is going after Air Canada and Toronto over every other carrier and international destination out there. 

I think we have a sizeable Canadian footprint in the upstate with both companies and Canadian expats. I was in Toronto last week and almost everyone I spoke to had a relative in South Carolina or came here to visit (even Greenville) for vacation. Michelin had a footprint in both locations as well.  

On a side note...I think that this connection would be great for us. It would give us a link to a slightly different international network. I do agree that we could go after other destinations with domestic airlines...but they already have us as a captive audience and know we will connect connect connect to get there. 

Air Canada was on the cusp of launching GSP Toronto service before one of the last recessions--dot com or subprime, I forget which. I imagine GSP and Air Canada have been on each other's radars ever since.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Never thought I would see an Emirates Boeing 777 plane parked at GSP let alone TWENTY of them: http://www.greenvillebusinessmag.com/2018/07/05/176435/gsp-prepares-for-equine-invasion-airport-will-be-entry-point-for-550-horses-bound-for-world-equestrian-games Where are they going to park them all? :dontknow::blink::o Lucky for me, I am flying out of GSP on September 8th and returning September 12th so I will be able to see all of these beautiful birds. :thumbsup:

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Never thought I would see an Emirates Boeing 777 plane parked at GSP let alone TWENTY of them: http://www.greenvillebusinessmag.com/2018/07/05/176435/gsp-prepares-for-equine-invasion-airport-will-be-entry-point-for-550-horses-bound-for-world-equestrian-games Where are they going to park them all? :dontknow::blink::o Lucky for me, I am flying out of GSP on September 8th and returning September 12th so I will be able to see all of these beautiful birds. :thumbsup:

If you want to see pictures of a recent similar operation: https://metroairportnews.com/emirates-skycargo-delivers-close-to-100-horses-to-miami-from-mexico-city/

3 hours ago, RiverWalker said:

Interesting stuff but once again where are they going to park twenty 777’s? Or are they going to store the aircraft elsewhere after they’re unloaded? I just don’t see enough room at GSP for that many airplanes that size. 

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Interesting stuff but once again where are they going to park twenty 777’s? Or are they going to store the aircraft elsewhere after they’re unloaded? I just don’t see enough room at GSP for that many airplanes that size. 

The article says the 550 horses will transported on 10 planes Later in the article it says they have chartered 20 planes, so is it 10 or 20? Since these are chartered and the event is 5 days long, wouldn't it make sense for these planes to be used elsewhere and the come back and pick up the horses instead of sitting at GSP for 5 days?

GSP, CAE, and CHS all saw an increase in traffic for May, but GSP was the lowest, by far, at 3.6 % to 196,894. CAE saw a 10% increase to 101,597, and CHS soared 13.6% to 435, 093! I'm sure MYR grew too but that is all seasonal tourism so... I am interested to see how GSP's new flights impact the second half of the year! 

Frontier is changing its flights. It appears GSP to Denver is being changed from Wednesday and Saturday to Monday and Friday starting in mid-November 2018. I’m guessing the same will be happening for Las Vegas and Orlando. 

Edit: are they increasing the flights to four days a week from the current two? :blink: looks like it at least for Orlando. 

Edited by gman430

13 minutes ago, sptgguy said:

I just pulled up the frontier website. Denver has 4 days a week available starting in November. So does Las Vegas but it has a disclaimer about it being a seasonal route (more during winter/conference season I guess). 

Thanks. Can’t find anything for Tampa though. I guess it got cut before it even started. Odd. 

Edited by gman430