gvillenative

GSP International

On 7/8/2020 at 8:38 AM, gman430 said:

United is bringing back its nonstop service to Denver International Airport (DEN) in August!

Sundays only, but it's a start!  Now we just need Newark back.

5 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

Sundays only, but it's a start!  Now we just need Newark back.

Thanks. Do you know how much the schedule is slated to increase at the airport for this month and next compared to April and May? 

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Thanks. Do you know how much the schedule is slated to increase at the airport for this month and next compared to April and May? 

Well Delta and United were only running 3 flights a day back then.  Now United is running 5 for July.  In August they run 6 on Sundays, 5 Monday,  Thurs-Sat, and 4 on Tues and Wed.  As previously stated, DEN comes back Sundays only in August, but still no EWR.  Delta is still doing Atlanta only.  5 flights in July and up to 7 in August.  Still no DTW or LGA flights.

AA has been most aggressive, not just at GSP, but across the board.  I wanna say they were doing 5 CLT, 2 DFWs, and Mia a couple months back.  This week they just brought back mainline to DFW.  They'll do 6 CLTs this month, 2 DFW, 3 PHL, 1 ORD, 1 MIA.  In August they add a 2nd Mia.  Still no DCA flights.

Southwest cut down to 2 flights per day.  Now doing 3 to ATL only.  BWI nonstop comes back mid August.

Who knows with Frontier.  They were here, then gone.  Then back.  Then gone.  Then back again.  Now they are gone for the foreseeable future.  Allegiant never really tweaked their schedule.  They just constantly canceled flights.  They seem to be running pretty normal now, but their schedule is all over the place.

This is a pretty good rough estimate.  I'm at home and don't have all the data in front of me.

Edited by rssgvegas
  • Thanks 1

Don't know what's Frontier is going to do but I really hate they left.  They have kids fly free on certain days for many routes, and right now they have a sale for some routes one can fly for $11 from now through the end of the year. Huntsville and Knoxville to Denver are two of them (not sure why we lost them but those markets did not). Just saw CLT to DIA roundtrip for 21 bucks. Amazing!

For April there were only 8,700 passengers. May had only 26.6k and June saw only 50k. Since mid March, GSP has lost about 700k passengers.  No telling how it will be going forward.

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

For April there were only 8,700 passengers. May had only 26.6k and June saw only 50k. Since mid March, GSP has lost about 700k passengers.  No telling how it will be going forward.

Luckily we’re not alone. Pretty much this way everywhere. They think it will be 2024 before air travel returns to pre-Coronavirus levels. And this isn’t just for GSP but for airports across the globe. I don’t know of any airport worldwide where passenger numbers have increased or stayed steady since this mess started. 

Edited by gman430

OHM Concession Group is out at GSP Airport.  They ran Thomas Creek, RJ Rockers, Wolfgang Puck, Chick-fil-a, DC-3, Vino Volo, and the Escape Lounge.  DC-3 has closed permanently.  A RFP has been sent out looking for a new management group to run the F&B as well as bring in a new concept for the vacant DC-3 area.  You'd have to think by the time they find one, do all the hiring and training, and start to reopen that you are looking more towards the end of the year before any viable food options are open at GSP.  Hoping it's sooner, but it's not looking good!

Dang, I didn’t realize the restaurants were still closed. I thought at least a few of them would have reopened by now with the increased passenger numbers.

Places like DC-3, Palmetto Distillery, and Vino Volo seem like really niche places to me that would be better off just downtown. Having them open at GSP has really baffled me. Just doesn’t seem like they would be that successful there. The airport needs more normal and popular options like you see with Chick-Fil-A. Something like Panera and heck even McDonald’s would be nice. Can’t believe there still isn’t a Starbuck’s there also. 

Edited by gman430

14 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Can’t believe there still isn’t a Starbuck’s there also. 

From what I understand the lack of a Starbucks has to do with franchisee agreements.  Apparently Starbucks has a select few of airport franchisors and GSP Airport promises in their  agreements to limit the number of franchisor groups to 2.  Hudson runs Hudson news, Flatwood, Dunkin, and Baskin Robbins.  Who knows, maybe the new management group will be able to bring in a Starbucks!

19 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Dang, I didn’t realize the restaurants were still closed. I thought at least a few of them would have reopened by now with the increased passenger numbers.

Flatwood Grill and Dunkin are open pre security and Dunkin/Baskin Robbins and Hudson are open post security.  That's it.