GSP International

gvillenative

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Think I just saw the Vice Presidents plane land at GSP.  What’s up with that?! Fighter jets and large Navy plane landing at GSP also. Are we going to war? Lol. 

Edit: looks like it’s doing touch and go’s for some odd reason. Not sure why out of GSP either. 

There was something that came out from GSP last week explaining that these planes are doing touch and goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, apaladin said:

So Asheville with a metro population of 424,000 has a non-stop flight to Vegas and Greenville with a metro(GSA) population of 1,475,000 does not. :dontknow:

Meh. Every time an airline tries to launch non-stop direct service from GSP-Vegas it falls flat on its face. The demand clearly isn’t there for it to succeed. Orlando is the same way. Maybe a different western part of the country destination would have better luck like Seattle or Los Angeles. Heck...maybe even Phoenix. Denver seems to do okay with United and would be doing even better if it wasn’t for Covid. 

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, apaladin said:

So Asheville with a metro population of 424,000 has a non-stop flight to Vegas and Greenville with a metro(GSA) population of 1,475,000 does not. :dontknow:

I am generally surprised at what AVL gets as well, given it's small market size, but it is based on tourism. Almost all of MYBs flights are based on tourism. Personally, I have no interest in Vegas, but I would like to see some more western flights. Remember, GSP was doing very well pre-COVID so I don't think it will take much to get it back going again once (if?) things get better. And population growth certainly hasn't slowed over the past 2 years either so demand won't be going away.

33 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

The only thing I want is a place to watch planes land and takeoff. Not Highway 80. That little spot is always full. Somewhere at the airport like there used to be.

Maybe we'll get that with this proposed on-site hotel they're planning? Granted, I'm still not sure I understand the need for said hotel, but could be cool...?

Edited by GvilleSC

31 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Maybe we'll get that with this proposed on-site hotel they're planning? Granted, I'm still not sure I understand the need for said hotel, but could be cool...?

I guess they're just trying to make it more convenient for those who have an early morning flight. They're opening some new parking spaces that have a good view of the landing strip. Perhaps they'll allow some of us to park there. I don't even mind paying for the parking. I've been working on it. Talking to people at GSP. They just hand me off to another one though. Lol.

https://gspairport.com/site/user/files/1/GSP---Hotel-Animation---FINAL.mp4 and https://gspairport.com/site/user/files/1/Terminal-Access-Area-Final.mp4

Auro, Pinnacle, Gensler, McKibbon, and SHG hotel groups all attended the RFP meeting. 

Interesting to see the top domestic and international destinations out of GSP: https://gspairport.com/site/user/files/1/Pre-Proposal-Meeting-Presentation.pdf

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

That's a great visual. Love the new long-term parking areas as well as the placement of the hotel.  At first I thought it would be even with the gates and restrict future expansion, but its offset and their concept looks quite nice.  I know when I first moved here it really sucked to get into GSP late at night and have to grab a cab to a hotel. Would've been great to have somewhere to stay on property.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

50 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Also interesting to see load factors. Frontier routes to DEN and Vegas were 86% and 84% respectively. Not sure what they require to operate but that's pretty strong,  especially considering they hadn't been here that long and people were still finding out about them.

I believe it’s 90-95%. Covid is what did them in though. Maybe they’ll come back in the future once the airline industry fully recovers. Who knows.

2 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

United will officially be bringing back Denver service starting in April.

Wish United would make up their damn mind already about whether they want service to Denver or not. All of this have it for one month, not have it the next month, have it for two months, not have it for a week, and yada yada yada is stupid and frustrating. :angry: Makes scheduling trips out there with them almost impossible which is why I flew with Southwest instead when I went to Denver last year.

Edited by gman430

15 hours ago, gman430 said:

https://gspairport.com/site/user/files/1/GSP---Hotel-Animation---FINAL.mp4 and https://gspairport.com/site/user/files/1/Terminal-Access-Area-Final.mp4

Auro, Pinnacle, Gensler, McKibbon, and SHG hotel groups all attended the RFP meeting. 

Interesting to see the top domestic and international destinations out of GSP: https://gspairport.com/site/user/files/1/Pre-Proposal-Meeting-Presentation.pdf

This looks almost exactly like Nuremberg DE airport,  with the cafe and viewing area at the end of the terminal overlooking the apron. I attached a screenshot of the Google Satellite image of the area. It's interesting that NUE is about half the size of GSP but twice the number of passengers. That's what happens with all the LCC, the numbers seem to be good, even though MUC is just over an hour away and FRA is about a three hour drive up A3.  They also have a hotel in almost the same spot where the hotel would be at GSP.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the end of Concourse A with that expansion. It almost looks to be exactly what BOS did with Terminal E about five or so years ago with the addition of E10 to E12. I'm actually curious as to if that would be an expansion to the FIS in hopes that something other than preclearance starts regular service.

NUE.png