GSP International

gvillenative

While Asheville is a far cry from the economic dynamo that is the Upstate. Asheville is extremely popular with tourist. Especially up north and Florida and of course with the second home market in the area. Business travel is still in limbo so the airlines will continue add mostly leisure routes. 

Edited by DownEast
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I've not seen Asheville's airport plans, but their airport currently sucks. Old GSP was by far nicer, more spacious, and a better experience. They have a long way to go to match and surpass the renovated GSP. 

I agree that Asheville Regional currently is inferior to GSP, and may never grow to an equal size.  They plan to double the terminal size and upgrade to 12 gates.

This is just their Allegiant routes. Many are seasonal but still...

Allegiant

Nonstop Destinations:
Austin, TX (AUS) - seasonal; Baltimore, MD (Washington D.C. area) (BWI); Boston, MA (BOS) - seasonal; Chicago, IL (MDW) - seasonal; Denver, Colorado (DEN); Ft. Lauderdale, FL (FLL); Houston, TX (HOU) - seasonal; West Palm Beach (PBI), Ft. Myers/Punta Gorda, FL (PGD); Newark, NJ (New York City, NY area) (EWR); Orlando (Sanford), FL (SFB); Sarasota (SRQ); St. Petersburg/Clearwater, FL (PIE); Las Vegas, NV (LAS); Destin, FL (VPS)

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, DownEast said:

While Asheville is a far cry from the economic dynamo that is the Upstate. Asheville is extremely popular with tourist. Especially up north and Florida and of course with the second home market in the area. Business travel is still in limbo so the airlines will continue add mostly leisure routes. 

AVL is a tourist spot.  GSP is a business spot.  Right now business travelers aren't flying.   Leisure travelers are looking for places they can go.  For now the airlines are going to cater to them until things get back to normal.  Beaches and mountains is where the planes will fly!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

AVL is a tourist spot.  GSP is a business spot.  Right now business travelers aren't flying.   Leisure travelers are looking for places they can go.  For now the airlines are going to cater to them until things get back to normal.  Beaches and mountains is where the planes will fly!

Not entirely true. GSP has picked back up.

4 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Not entirely true. GSP has picked back up.

Of course it's picked up.  Everything is picking up, but still a shell of what it once was.  This time 2 years ago GSP had overflow parking issues so many people were traveling.   Now there isn't even a single car parking in Garage B.  The concourse stores and restaurants are still boarded up.   Meanwhile the vacation spots in this country's traffic and available seats are through the roof even compared to prepandemic levels.

14 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

This type of thinking is exactly why we can’t land JetBlue or Alaska. I bet GSP management feels the same way and doesn’t even bother trying. 

Only about 1/3 of pre-COVID numbers came through the airport in Feb, which is about the same percentage we've seen the past 6 months. I'm very interested to see March and April numbers as they should start to show that  percentage increasing a bit. With more things opening back up, infection numbers decreasing, and the vaccinations happening we should see the airport numbers noticeably going up very soon.

Here are the numbers since Jan 2020:

Month Enplaned Deplaned Total Inc/Dec %
Feb-21 33,635 32,542 66,177 -63.8%
Jan-21 33,257 34,133 67,390 -65.0%
Dec-20 43,801 42,101 85,902 -61.4%
Nov-20 44,172 42,904 87,076 -61.1%
Oct-20 41,238 41,133 82,731 -66.6%
Sept-20 40,388 39,613 80,001 -64.0%
Aug-20 39,496 38,657

-65.9%
July-20 35,807 34,163 69,970 -70.6%
June-20 25,847 24,962 50,809 -78.4%
May-20 13,476 13,190 26,666 -88.4%
April-20 4,300 4,421 8,721 -95.8%
Mar-20 59,602 60,915 120,517 -42.0%
Feb-20 91,880 91,002 182,882  8.7%
Jan-20 95,938 96,493 192,431  6.6%
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

Of course it's picked up.  Everything is picking up, but still a shell of what it once was.  This time 2 years ago GSP had overflow parking issues so many people were traveling.   Now there isn't even a single car parking in Garage B.  The concourse stores and restaurants are still boarded up.   Meanwhile the vacation spots in this country's traffic and available seats are through the roof even compared to prepandemic levels.

Do you have the numbers for each airport? I bet more people are still flying through GSP. ;)

I’m pretty sure GSP has more non-stop direct flight offerings now than they did before the pandemic. Go figure. If freaking Charleston can support British Airways I’m 100% certain we can support JetBlue to Boston and Alaska to Seattle.

Edited by gman430

21 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

Do you have the numbers for each airport? I bet more people are still flying through GSP. ;)

Of course GSP has more passengers flying than AVL, it's a much bigger airport.   That has nothing to do with adding capacity and markets in this climate.   Lesuire travel is the name of the game and tourist spots are gonna get the new markets.  Doesn't mean GSP will shrink, just means AVL grows.

Silver didn't come to GSP bc people want to go to GSP, people want to go to Florida and Silver has been capitalizing on that with their expansion. 

13 minutes ago, rssgvegas said:

Of course GSP has more passengers flying than AVL, it's a much bigger airport.   That has nothing to do with adding capacity and markets in this climate.   Lesuire travel is the name of the game and tourist spots are gonna get the new markets.  Doesn't mean GSP will shrink, just means AVL grows.

Silver didn't come to GSP bc people want to go to GSP, people want to go to Florida and Silver has been capitalizing on that with their expansion. 

If that’s the case then why is nobody offering non-stop direct service from GSP to Las Vegas, New Orleans, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc? Not sure why these airlines think everybody that lives here wants to go to Florida when we don’t. Besides, if I did go to Florida for vacation I would be driving. The only exception would be Key West and maybe Miami. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gman430 said:

If that’s the case then why is nobody offering non-stop direct service from GSP to Las Vegas, New Orleans, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc? Not sure why these airlines think everybody that lives here wants to go to Florida when we don’t. Besides, if I did go to Florida for vacation I would be driving. The only exception would be Key West and maybe Miami. 

Kinda agree with this, especially with a family. Why would I spend 500 to 1000 dollars flying to Orlando or Destin (for a family) when I can drive there on a couple tanks of gas? It might save a little time, but by the time you do the airport stuff, go two hours ahead, get bags, rent a car, etc, it doesn't save much time. If it's about tourists, how come we don't have flights to more tourist places (even though we're not one, we might want to go to one)? :dontknow:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

Granted, but GSP is still going to grow and they are currently still adding to the facilities. So it took a little hit from the pandemic. If they thought it wasn't going to grow they wouldn't keep adding this stuff.

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Very interested to see the release. Remember,  this will just be the first round and others will be added fairly soon I think. We may well not be one of the early airports,  but if GSP does not get Breeze in the first couple of rounds I will definitely be very disappointed. No Jetblue and very underserved market. CAE fits the bill for them too. 

3 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Granted, but GSP is still going to grow and they are currently still adding to the facilities. So it took a little hit from the pandemic. If they thought it wasn't going to grow they wouldn't keep adding this stuff.

GSP will certainly grow and the hit is from the pandemic, but what GSP needs is for business travel to come back.  Once that happens they are back in the game.  It's gonna happen.  Normalcy is on pause right now, that's all.

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

Vegas is one thing, and airlines are adding capacity there not necessarily new routes, but the other cities you mentioned are heavily regulated right now so people aren't gonna travel there.  California is about as strict as they come.  Yeah it sucks for us b/c we actually live close to the places where people are going in droves.  

Delta Air Lines plans to start back its popular nonstop service to New York's LaGuardia Airport (LGA) on June 5. The flight is currently scheduled to depart GSP daily at 4:19 p.m. and arrive in New York at 6:17 p.m. The flight will depart the Big Apple at 2:45 p.m. and arrive in the Upstate at 4:52 p.m. The flight will be operated with a 70-seat jet by Delta Connection carrier Endeavor Air. Tickets can be purchased at delta.com. 

• Like 1