GSP International

gvillenative

We forget the many reasons why low cost carriers can even exist. Fuel costs threaten to run many out of business, so they must be creative. One way is to not place stops so close to each other. Another way is to operate off a one or two hub system. Airtran's sole hub is in Atlanta, so for that reason, along with Charlotte being just up the road, GSP will never see Airtran (too close to their main hub).

I don't disagree with your point. The Upstate's 1.2 mil people could be served well, but I think the carriers also think they can be served equally as well via Douglas Airport. GSP would be better served by trying to attract Southwest, as their closest service is out of RDU.

• 3 weeks later...

GSP has a lot of potential to become a major international airport, just look at Bradley Int'l in the Hartford area. That airport is sandwich in between JFK and Logan, but it holds it own and pulls in a large number of passengers. The Hartford area and Connecticut in general is home to 3 million people, so GSP can hold its own up against Hartsfield-Jackson and Charlotte-Douglas.

Edited by Leonard23

• 3 weeks later...

I have some interesting (but somewhat disappointing) news related to our desire for Greenville to have a new low-cost carrier. AirTran is currently having a "vote" on their website for cities you would like for them to add. Unfortunately, Greenville is NOT one of the 50 or so airports for which we can vote. Charleston is (thus the reason I heard about this website).

http://www.airtran.com/nextcity/Default.aspx

I realize that we never really counted on AirTran anyway, but it would be nice for them to at least have us in their top 50 of new airports to consider. Oh well. Perhaps JetBlue is considering us (I would probably prefer them over AirTran anyway).

For what it's worth, you can tell JetBlue you want them to be in your city by filling out this form:

http://www.jetblue.com/email/citysuggest.a...p=where_we_fly1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We will probably see GSP grow to charlotte or hartsfield size within the next 15 years i would say as the population continues to boom!!!!

Sorry to disagree, but I don't see that happening...not within the next 15 years at least. Within 25 years, we may grow to Charlotte-Douglas' size, but I doubt we ever reach the size of the sprawling Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson. I certainly hope not, at least. Also, I seriously doubt GSP will ever be a hub for any airline. That's one reason that both of these other airports are as large as they are.

Sorry to disagree, but I don't see that happening...not within the next 15 years at least. Within 25 years, we may grow to Charlotte-Douglas' size, but I doubt we ever reach the size of the sprawling Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson. I certainly hope not, at least. Also, I seriously doubt GSP will ever be a hub for any airline. That's one reason that both of these other airports are as large as they are.

I have to agree with RT here. As much as I would like to see GSP become something like CLT or ATL, I just don't think that can happen realisticly. It will certainly grow, but in terms of competition I doubt it will reach the size of these places. We are just too close to these other places and driving to them is not a problem to most people.

It all comes down to whether GSP will be competitive in terms of price and selection of flights. The upstate will continue to grow, and with increased people means increased demand for flights. GSP can fill that void, and I think plenty of people will fly out of GSP if they can get where they need to go conveniently and for a good price.

GSP has a couple of things going for it. One is obviously convenience. While some people are willing to drive to CLT or ATL if they have to, nobody wants to. Second, GSP is truly a pleasing airport that doesn't have the hassles of the really large airports. It can already get you most places you need to go, in no more than 1 connection.

So my hope is that GSP can continue to offer the great service it does as the airport and metro grows. Getting a QUALITY low-cost carrier is the first task. That will cause the other airlines to think twice about their rates as well. While GSP will probably never surpass ATL or CLT in terms of size and flights, it certainly has a great opportunity to continue to grow as the Upstate population continues to grow.

Yes, Allegiant Air is flying into Sanford-Orlando International from GSP. I looked to see how many of those $89/$99 flights Allegiant advertised were actually offered and was disappointed to learn that there were only 2! Not sure if this has changed but if not then this is a huge letdown.

Also, from what I have read/heard/seen Southwest is strongly considering a move into Charlotte-Douglas to fill similar woes in their slim low-cost offerings. GSP seems to have virtually no chance of getting Southwest anytime soon?

Yes, Allegiant Air is flying into Sanford-Orlando International from GSP. I looked to see how many of those $89/$99 flights Allegiant advertised were actually offered and was disappointed to learn that there were only 2! Not sure if this has changed but if not then this is a huge letdown.

Also, from what I have read/heard/seen Southwest is strongly considering a move into Charlotte-Douglas to fill similar woes in their slim low-cost offerings. GSP seems to have virtually no chance of getting Southwest anytime soon?

I think we have a better chance of getting JetBlue than Southwest, but that is pure conjecture on my part (i.e., not based on any reliable information from anyone).

have to agree with RT here. As much as I would like to see GSP become something like CLT or ATL, I just don't think that can happen realisticly. It will certainly grow, but in terms of competition I doubt it will reach the size of these places. We are just too close to these other places and driving to them is not a problem to most people.

Wishful thinking i guess. I really dont like driving to atlanta's airport. I had to go down there twice this past summer in a 2 week period and i guess that is why i wish gsp would grow bigger and have more flights out so you wouldnt have to drive to the "bigger" citiies.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a direct flight to and from Boston will be nice when I come down to see family. Actually, being able to avoid "Delayed Everytime Leaving Through Atlanta" will be more than nice. It is also interesting walking through Terminal A at Logan, and seeing Charleston, SC and occasionally Myrtle Beach on the screens. Greensboro, NC is on there, so I have some hope at seeing Greenville Spartanburg someday soon. Actually, it would be nice to see flights to Hartford-Bradley to GSP also. That's my other relief from Logan.

-Mike

PS: Off topic here, but I hope everyone had a good Christmas, and now that I've settled down, I might try to post more often. Keep up the pictures everyone, its almost making me homesick for Greenville.

Having a direct flight to and from Boston will be nice when I come down to see family. Actually, being able to avoid "Delayed Everytime Leaving Through Atlanta" will be more than nice. It is also interesting walking through Terminal A at Logan, and seeing Charleston, SC and occasionally Myrtle Beach on the screens. Greensboro, NC is on there, so I have some hope at seeing Greenville Spartanburg someday soon. Actually, it would be nice to see flights to Hartford-Bradley to GSP also. That's my other relief from Logan.

-Mike

PS: Off topic here, but I hope everyone had a good Christmas, and now that I've settled down, I might try to post more often. Keep up the pictures everyone, its almost making me homesick for Greenville.

I am shocked that there are flights from Boston to Charleston and Myrtle Beach and not Greenville. We need to get with it! :blink: