GSP International

gvillenative

1 hour ago, rssgvegas said:

Unless you have insider information I'd be careful with those flights.  Right now in the pandemic, airlines are only finalizing their schedules 1 to 2 months out.  The rest that is published is a place holder schedule.  United, for example, only has an official schedule until the end of July.  Now, some of those flights could stuck, but odds are not all of them will! 

This is the schedule posted by those airlines through September. All of them are bookable through each airlines website at this time. I didn’t go out further than September/four months due to uncertainty with the economy and whatnot. I figured that was a safe timeline. Hopefully the schedules all stick. 

Edited by gman430

GSP-New York City (EWR) with United will be coming back starting on Sunday August 8th. Flights will be departing from GSP at 12:02pm and arriving at EWR at 1:51pm. Flights will be departing from EWR at 9:30am and arriving at GSP at 11:29am. These flights will be everyday but Saturday.

Starting on Wednesday September 8th this frequency will be increasing to three times a day except for Saturday which will be twice a day. Flights will be departing from GSP at 6:00am, 11:27am, and 6:25pm (no 11:27am on Saturdays) and arriving at EWR at 8:06am, 1:16pm, and 8:27pm (no 1:16pm on Saturdays). Flights will be departing from EWR at 9:30am, 2:41pm, and 7:59pm (no 9:30am on Saturdays) and arriving at GSP at 11:29am, 4:35pm, and 10:06pm (no 11:29am on Saturdays).

GSP-Miami (MIA) with American last day will be May 31st. This service will be returning though starting on Tuesday August 17th with flights twice a day. Flights will be departing from GSP at 6:00am and 6:44pm and arriving at MIA at 7:50am and 8:37pm. Flights will be departing from MIA at 4:10pm and 9:45pm and arriving at GSP at 6:11pm and 11:46pm.

Edited by gman430

8 hours ago, apaladin said:

Still getting emails from Frontier to fly out of GSP. :dontknow: :shades:

They could always come back, but when they stopped last year they didn't just pause, they took all their stuff with them.   Silver occupies Frontiers old offices now.  More specifically FSS, bc Silver outsources all of their work at GSP.

I used GSP just this weekend when I flew up to Chicago, connecting in Detroit, for the long weekend.  I regret to inform y'all though that Greenville's reputation does not precede it.  On the return flight, again connecting in Detroit, no one in Detroit had ever heard of Greenville.  The gate agent checked the name twice and then still said "Greensville," both of the flight attendants stumbled over the name, and so did the pilot.  It rather felt like they really, really wanted to take us all to Greensboro instead.  

I haven't flown much in the last few years, but back in the day I remember a number of times pilots talking over the PA about our arrival in "Greer." Hopefully that's a custom that's passed into oblivion (no offense to any Greer residents).

5 hours ago, Exile said:

I haven't flown much in the last few years, but back in the day I remember a number of times pilots talking over the PA about our arrival in "Greer." Hopefully that's a custom that's passed into oblivion (no offense to any Greer residents).

More than likely the pilot said "Greer" because air traffic control refers to the airport as "Greer".   Pilots and air traffic controllers use "Greer Approach Control" and "Greer Tower" rather than  "Greenville-Spartanburg".  In most instances formal airport names are rarely used in pilot/controller communications.  Greer.jpg.5536052f35254e0df3de3b9e045a961b.jpg

"Greer" is much easier to enunciate and understand.  Ground-to-air communication must be concise, hence the use of "Greer".  

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, roads-scholar said:

More than likely the pilot said "Greer" because air traffic control refers to the airport as "Greer".   Pilots and air traffic controllers use "Greer Approach Control" and "Greer Tower" rather than  "Greenville-Spartanburg".  In most instances formal airport names are rarely used in pilot/controller communications.  Greer.jpg.5536052f35254e0df3de3b9e045a961b.jpg

"Greer" is much easier to enunciate and understand.  Ground-to-air communication must be concise, hence the use of "Greer".  

"Easier to enunciate" unless you're from Greer (see Grrrrrr). :silly:

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2021 at 5:55 AM, hauntedheadnc said:

I used GSP just this weekend when I flew up to Chicago, connecting in Detroit, for the long weekend.  I regret to inform y'all though that Greenville's reputation does not precede it.  On the return flight, again connecting in Detroit, no one in Detroit had ever heard of Greenville.  The gate agent checked the name twice and then still said "Greensville," both of the flight attendants stumbled over the name, and so did the pilot.  It rather felt like they really, really wanted to take us all to Greensboro instead.  

Ahhh heck. Who cares what Detroit thinks. Yuck lol. The ones that have flocked down here have definitely heard of it.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 5:55 AM, hauntedheadnc said:

Has anyone flown from Detroit to Greenville on Delta? I assume its a small plane? TIA

https://www.wyff4.com/article/gsp-travel-numbers-climb-airport-unveils-new-projects-on-horizon/36877966

Good news. Traffic expected to be 75 to 80 percent of precovid numbers by year's end. Some future plans include 12 new gates, an international arrival area, new destinations,  a new carrier.  Hopefully the 20 year time period is way over estimated.  

• Like 1

Ha. We couldn’t even keep Frontier or land Breeze. We won’t even see one new gate added over the next 20 years. 

In other news, Miami service from AA won’t return until October now at the earliest. Sad. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...

Passenger traffic is recovering at a much better rate. For May 2021, passenger traffic was at about 66% of normal traffic levels and based on our preliminary numbers we are seeing about a 74% recovery level for June 2021. In May 2021 passenger traffic reflects a 472.8% increase over the same month in 2020. In April 2021 passenger traffic reflects a 1,359% increase over the same month in 2020. Cargo numbers for May 2021 were up 96.0% for the same period. Passenger load factors were up 142.1% for the month, at an average of 80.3%. Providing a look forward into the service levels for August 2021 is a schedule comparison for the month vs the same month last year. Currently in the schedules, GSP flights are up at 70.5%, and seats are up at 64.7%.

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1