Which is the better Metro?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Metro?

• Atlanta
    • Dallas

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for any Dallasite or Dallasan (whatever they call people that live in or are from Dallas):

How far is Ft. Worth from Dallas? and also Would a person from Ft. Worth say that they are from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area or would they say they're from Dallas or would they just say Ft. Worth?

I have a question for any Dallasite or Dallasan (whatever they call people that live in or are from Dallas):

How far is Ft. Worth from Dallas? and also Would a person from Ft. Worth say that they are from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area or would they say they're from Dallas or would they just say Ft. Worth?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

30 miles, downtown to downtown

People in Ft Worth have their own identity and tend to refer to themselves as being from Ft Worth and generally would take it as insult to say they were from Dallas. Ft Worth is more old Texas, an old cowtown with a definite Mexican influence, while Dallas is more cosmopolitan and its identity is blurred by the hosts coming from the North. Dallas also is fairly pretentious and affluent whereas Ft Worth is much more laid back. Dallasites don't make this distinction and this irritates most Ft Worth natives.

Of course, driving between the two on I-20 or I-30 there's no break in development and hasn't been for a very long time. The "mid-cities" (located between Dallas and Ft Worth of Irving (pop=191k) and Grand Prairie (127k) identify more with Dallas while Arlington (333k) identifies more with Ft Worth. The Texas Rangers are located in Arlington and the Dallas Cowboys are building their new stadium there, minutes from Ft Worth.

• 3 months later...

Not really. Driving north through downtown, there is one point where there are huge skyscrapers very densly laid out. While I agree Dallas is an awesome city, Atlanta has the edge in a skyline because they have several, not just one. Go and drive the 285 loop and there are nice highrise clusters up to 580 ft. tall that would make any city proud by themselves.

Dallas has many of those

the same can be said driving I-635

(from texasfreeway.com)

looking west down I-635

635_at_75_best_hres.jpg

the Dallas North Tollway at I-635

dnt_tollway_1999_hres.jpg

an old photo of Las Colinas in Irving

114_las_colinas.jpg

another shot of Las Colinas

114_las_colinas_looking_west_19-aug-2001_lres.jpg

and this one is mine, it is a shot of the Kinko's building next to the Dallas Galleria

228959587jdkoxO_ph.jpg

:silly:

Dallas definately has the edge in skyline, Atlanta is big but Dallas is the big D for a reason. I have driven 285, as well as 635, I have been on 75/85 and 35E and have lived in Dallas before, Atlanta might have taller buildings, this I am not certain of, but Dallas has more of them and there is greater density in Dallas as well. To bust out an analogy, Atlanta is the biggest dog in the neighborhood, but not in the city. And as far as comparing freeway systems, Dallas has the edge there as well.

observe

plus anyone who has looked at a map of either city can see that Dallas has the edge without question.

in my opinion, Dallas has not been represented well and should get the mad props that it deserves.

Atlanta metropolitan 4,708,297

DFW 5,764,887

from wikipedia

same source

Dallas definately has the edge in skyline, Atlanta is big but Dallas is the big D for a reason. I have driven 285, as well as 635, I have been on 75/85 and 35E and have lived in Dallas before, Atlanta might have taller buildings, this I am not certain of, but Dallas has more of them and there is greater density in Dallas as well. To bust out an analogy, Atlanta is the biggest dog in the neighborhood, but not in the city. And as far as comparing freeway systems, Dallas has the edge there as well.

observe

plus anyone who has looked at a map of either city can see that Dallas has the edge without question.

in my opinion, Dallas has not been represented well and should get the mad props that it deserves.

Atlanta metropolitan 4,708,297

DFW 5,764,887

from wikipedia

same source

We will have to agree to dissagree on skyline. I've seen both from every angle. And yes Atlanta's buildings are bigger. Dallas may have the edge on central density and on MSA population but that is about it. I've talked to people who moved to Atlanta from Dallas and they say there is no perceptable difference in skyline other than Atlanta having what appears to be taller buildings. The average height of Dallas top ten skyscrapers is 729 feet while Atlanta's top ten average is 753 feet. Houston beats them both at over 800 feet.

We will have to agree to dissagree on skyline. I've seen both from every angle. And yes Atlanta's buildings are bigger. Dallas may have the edge on central density and on MSA population but that is about it. I've talked to people who moved to Atlanta from Dallas and they say there is no perceptable difference in skyline other than Atlanta having what appears to be taller buildings. The average height of Dallas top ten skyscrapers is 729 feet while Atlanta's top ten average is 753 feet. Houston beats them both at over 800 feet.

All 3 are roughly similar IMO - it's simply a matter of preference.

Ft Worth has a decent skyline, not at all in the range of those 3 but suprisingly impressive.

Dallas has 323 high-rises...Atlanta has 270.

Atlanta only has one building taller than dallas.

Little Rock has 2 buildings taller than any building in Phoenix,

that doesn't make Little Rock a better city than Phoenix.

What matters most is what goes on at ground level, and Dallas

certainly has the edge there.

Dallas by itself is no bigger than (or at least it seems to me) Atlanta. Now when Ft. Worth is added into the equation then yes, the metro gets bigger. Dallas is a little more organized and gridded (easier to get around in) than Atlanta. Atlanta is more progressive though and has more of a liberal feel to it.

Dallas proper has over twice the population of Atlanta proper.

Based on opinion and everyone has one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been to the big D besides DFW airport, but I know Atlanta like the back of my hand and can say that Atlanta is a very progressive city with cranes in every one of its skylines. Atlanta fails to be a gridded city because of the geography-very hilly for a large metro. I wish that Atlanta had some old gritty neighborhoods in it. My only real problems with Atlanta are its extremely excessive sprawl and resulting traffic (even at midnight on 400) on 14 lane highways. Everything in Atlanta is new, new, and new.

From what I have seen and heard, Dallas does have a more old and gridded neighborhood selection around the CBD, but it seems even more sprawly.

I like Atlanta's skyline better, but I cannot really determine which city is "doing better."

True, Dallas has more highrises, but that's probably because the city limits is bigger that Atlanta's. Metro Atlanta has many high rises outside the city that would be probably be included on Atl's list is the city was the size of Dallas.

Dallas still has a very impressive skyline though

for the space that Dallas occupies there are towers that radiate from downtown in several directions. in Atlanta they are distributed in a more linear fashion, there are high rises in Plano, Addison, Richardson, Irving. I went to Frisco for a hockey game and they were building another cluster of them. I guess the point of this was to say that there are just as many building outside of the Dallas city limits as there are outside of the Atlanta city limits.

here is a view looking northwest

from www.dallassky.com

stemmons_freeway_skyline.jpg

north Richardson

telecom_corridor.jpg

along the North Central Expressway (US 75) in north Dallas

north_central_1.jpg

Galleria

galleria_skyline_2.jpg

uptown dominated by the 42 story CityPlace tower

p4-8.h2.jpg

i found those pictures of some of the other skylines around Dallas.

for the space that Dallas occupies there are towers that radiate from downtown in several directions. in Atlanta they are distributed in a more linear fashion, there are high rises in Plano, Addison, Richardson, Irving. I went to Frisco for a hockey game and they were building another cluster of them. I guess the point of this was to say that there are just as many building outside of the Dallas city limits as there are outside of the Atlanta city limits.

True, but Atlanta has lots of skylines besides its' linear spread from DT to Midtown and then on to Buckhead. It also has Perimeter Center area which spreads for several miles and has the tallest buildings in the USA in the suburbs. Cumberland/Galleria area which looks alot like Dallas' Galleria area from those pics, plus Century Center area and smaller clusters around Decatur, Northlake, Airport area, and the office park hell of Alpharetta, (which doesnt have any highrises yet but is a sea of midrises sort of like Plano.)

The there are the several areas of Gwinnett county that in the near future could see a boom in highrise condo construction, although there is nothing there now but midrises and maybe a few highrises.)

Both cities are cool though, and both have there own charm and flavor. Dallas IS a bigger metro area...but thats including Ft. Worth..right? Maybe Atlanta needs to add Athens to its metro area..which would only add several hundred thousand to its population, but it would be closer!

Nice Dallas pics too!!!

Archived