Dallas vs Atlanta

monsoon

Which is the better Metro?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Metro?

• Atlanta
    • Dallas

All 3 are roughly similar IMO - it's simply a matter of preference.

Ft Worth has a decent skyline, not at all in the range of those 3 but suprisingly impressive.

Houston has the third largest CBD right behind New York City and Chicago and that's not including Uptown which by it self would rank #14 as a CBD. From what I've read on Skyscrapercity more and more towers are going up all the time. Dallas is doing well with all its developments like the Victory project.

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Dallas is not very dry with short stubby trees. Dallas has a dry and wet season. North and west of the city are the vast shrubby plain Dallas is known for. Perhaps because most see Dallas from DFW airport. The city itself is very green and sits on a river watershed that creates many valleys lined with creeks and mature oak and walnut. Great contrast to the suburbs most see.

- Dallas has many skylines spread throughout the city and suburbs: CBD, Uptown, Turtle Creek, Mockingbird, Stemmons Corridor, Park Central, Platinum Corridor, Preston Center, Telecom Corridor and Las Colinas. This doesn't take into account that Victory and Cityplace West are forming two skylines of their own within Uptown. On boards like this, you usually only see downtown.

- Have no idea which city has more, but Dallas has 19 tower cranes up right now in downtown and Uptown alone, and is growing pretty fast in urban development and population. For whatever reason, the construction threads here aren't as updated as other sites, but Dallas is enjoying one of its biggest booms ever right now.

Wondering if Dallas has done anything in the last 5 years? No question

uptown16000fm.jpg

True - I thought Dallas had a nice canopy of trees in several neighborhoods, but comparatively fewer trees than Atlanta. But not that bad, eastern TX is a lot greener than central, southern or western TX.

As for cranes, downtown Atlanta might have 4, & midtown right now is in between some planned towers for later in the year, so there might only be 1 or 2. I have no idea how many are in Buckhead, but I would assume at least 5.

What I did like about Dallas was the downtown / uptown was more compact, rather than the sprawling lower dense core of downtown & midtown Atlanta. Also, as pretentious as I found Uptown, it was interesting to see a combination of Atlanta's Midtown & Buckhead directly adjacent to Dallas' downtown.

I voted for Atlanta.

Both Emporis.com and Skyscraperpage.com list Atlanta as having a slight edge over Dallas in terms of buildings planned, approved, or under construction. However, there's a discrepancy between the two about which city has the most completed skyscrapers. So as for buildings, each city seems about the same. I like Atlanta's skyline better though and continued infill between downtown, midtown, and Buckhead could create one massive long horizon skyline in the future.

Aside from buildings though, I think Atlanta holds an advantage both nationally and internationally in name recognition. This is not to say that the name Dallas is unheard of outide the region, but between the two, Atlanta seems to be more well known as destination among young professionals from all over the world (much of this could be attributed to Atlanta's many universities including Emory, Georgia Tech, Morehouse, Spelman, etc.) as well as among older adults. Also, undeniably Atlanta is much more known for its hip/hop r&b scene. Of course this doesn't make a city, but it does attract a large number of young people of all races. Also, as mentioned in another post, Atlanta seems much more progressive and liberal, which feeds population growth among young people--the group that most supports population growth.

Finally, I think many would agree that Atlanta has more natural beauty. Dallas may have trees and rolling hills, but not to the extent Atlanta does.

Dallas has way too many skylines besides downtown. Uptown, Turtle Creek, Mockingbird, Preston Center, Campbell Center to Presby area, Park Central, Platinum Corridor, Telecom Corridor, Stemmons Corridor, Las Colinas and DT Fort Worth so far.

Platinum Corridor at LBJ and the Dallas North Tollway looking east

874platinumcorridor.jpg

You can see a lot of them scattered here

HamptonRdSkylineSmall.jpg

Another cluster at Mockingbird and central just to the right of downtown from this vantage point

royal24.jpg

I don't know how you could say Atlanta is more known worldwide. I'd say both have their reasons for world notoriety. Dallas unfortunately is known for Kennedy, the TV show(one of the most popular ever worldwide), Dallas Cowboys, UT SW Medical(usually ranked in the top 5 worldwide). Dallas has enough Fortune 500s to hold its own and has surpassed the 6 million person mark. Dallas isn't what I'd call a hip-hop city, but as far as music goes, has held its own in the Grammy department.

And something Dallas gets no credit for

WRT23.jpg

Pview22.jpg

I agree that both of these cities are booming and very successful in their own areas, but I believe Dallas has the edge. I lived in Dallas for 11yrs and visit family there every so often, but I also travel to Atlanta quite frequently for business ( I work for AirTran airways).

As far as buldings go, Atlanta has the apperance of seeming larger because it isn't as dense as the Dallas infastructure, and this is definately more noticeable in the Downtown-Midtown area. I do believe that Atlanta's skyscrapers are prettier, but Dallas has more and the Dallas economy is going through more of a boom right now. I believe this even more so since Donald Trump recently expressed great interest in building three major structures in Dallas over the next few years.

The Dallas area rapid transportation system (DART) is also a lot more intricate and you can tell just by looking at the maps, as previously stated from someone else. Dallas is also served by two major Airports, with DFW being the principal one, whereas Atlanta only has one major airport that everyone is forced to go to the Southside of town to use. I do like the MARTA connection to the airport, but DART also has progressing plans for rail to reach BOTH airports and I believe the DART trains are better maintained. MARTA trains seemed very nasty IMO.

Both of these cities are both horrible with crime rates, so neither one is better in that aspect, but I do believe Dallas has a lot nicer areas.... as far as the scenery though, Atlanta probably has the slight edge because of all the trees, but that is due to its lack of denisty.

Anyway, this is probably just becoming pointless because it all really boils down to personal opinion/preference, but I just thought i'd be like everyone else and put my .02cents in.

GO DALLAS!!!

=)

oh yeah, this is a nice picture of Dallas, other than it being gloomy from clouds:

dallaspano24pg.jpg

and this one:

dallas34zn.jpg

I don't know how you could say Atlanta is more known worldwide. I'd say both have their reasons for world notoriety. Dallas unfortunately is known for Kennedy, the TV show(one of the most popular ever worldwide), Dallas Cowboys, UT SW Medical(usually ranked in the top 5 worldwide). Dallas has enough Fortune 500s to hold its own and has surpassed the 6 million person mark. Dallas isn't what I'd call a hip-hop city, but as far as music goes, has held its own in the Grammy department.

My statement that Atlanta is more known worldwide than Dallas is based on having lived in Europe and regular trips to the Caribbean and Latin America (although Mexicans probably know Dallas better).

Dallas is really well known in Latin America. Most people who immigrate into the US go through Dallas on I-35 and there is a huge latin american population in DFW. There are also alot of transplants from New York who came along with American Airlines.

Im going to post some pictures of Arlington (from my 2 years at UTA before transferring)

Arlington (pop 375,000), while not as affluent as other suburbs, has a unique character and is extremely diverse.

some photos......

wall of a building on Abrams

229523010yqDwge_ph.jpg

alley in Arlington near campus

229523029YIvhwZ_ph.jpg

incoming storm (that one produced a tornado in the area)

226325134ezMPbT_ph.jpg

some UTA student housing at sunrise

229522931toQhBq_ph.jpg

UTA College of Business Admin. at dusk

226251361dfNpyX_ph.jpg

Preston Hall

226251116UDynAv_ph.jpg

view from my old apartment

226325020aFgZup_ph.jpg

random neighborhood scene in Arlington

226238314nDwYOV_ph.jpg

my brother posing next to a chalk mural at UTA

219128641OjHeDj_ph.jpg

there is also a large asian population in Arlington, when i go back to Texas in a few weeks ill have some better pictures.

Counting cranes doesn't seem very scientific to me but according to Emporis' high-rise stats

Dallas

Under construction

Under re-construction

Approved

Proposed

Atlanta

Under construction

Under re-construction

Approved

Proposed

For the record I think vs threads are silly because every city is different and has a different story to tell and thats what makes traveling so much fun.

Greens!,

Were those pics supposed to represent Arlington's diversity? Why did you post those?

Also, when you say "most who immigrate into the US go through Dallas on I-35," I think you're being a little narrow-minded. Mexicans aren't the only group of Latin American immigrants. And saying there's a huge latin american population in DFW is confusing as well. Do they live in the airport?

Santiago6678,

those pictures were intended to represent the diversity of the DFW metro area. the arlington area, while part of the metroplex has its own unique identity. the pictures were to show the ethnic, urban, and geographic diversity of suburban dallas.

i sometimes find it hard to have an accurate impression of a city without taking the whole "place" into consideration, which i was trying to do with those pictures.

as far as immigration goes, i should have said "many" instead of most.

there is, however a significant amount of latin american trade going through Dallas on I-35 which makes more sense then what i said earlier.

I did not say anything about Mexicans, I am well aware of the many countries that make up latin america.

and by DFW, i meant the Dallas-fort Worth metroplex, not the airport, i should have been more specific.

sorry

For the Dallas MSA, the 2004 figure I get is 5,700,256.

If you combined the Atlanta metro with a metro the size of Ft. Worth, its MSA would probably be around that number if not higher. Not to be mean spirited, but it seems like Dallas has an unfair advantage in this category.

What are the numbers just for Dallas?

If you combined the Atlanta metro with a metro the size of Ft. Worth, its MSA would probably be around that number if not higher. Not to be mean spirited, but it seems like Dallas has an unfair advantage in this category.

Well Dallas itself is over 4 million now. But both the DFW CSA and Atlanta CSA cover just about the same area anyway. People from Houston say this same thing. Both Dallas and Fort Worth functions as one just like the Bay Area and DC-Bmore.

Greens - Arlington is an interest 'suburb', which is a stretch because due to it's massive size & location between Dallas & Ft Worth. Though my wife always considered Arlington a suburb of Ft Worth, since when she lived there she drove to Ft Worth.

Anyways - I visit there every couple of years, for what it is, it is somewhat interesting. But it's too bad that Mexican restaurant that served breakfast tacos burnt down, it was great.

It's kind of like SF and Oakland, the two developed together and feed each other's growth and there is no break in development between the two downtowns at all. There are a lot of commuters between Dallas County and Tarrant County (Ft Worth).

Dallas is a city of 1.23 million and Dallas County alone has 2.25 million residents.

Thats true, there is no boundary between Dallas and Fort Worth. Using that argument you would also imply that NY, NY and Newark, NJ cant be included in the same metro area, although they are 11 miles apart and there is no break between them. You could also say that Minneapolis and St. Paul are two seperate metro areas.

dfw-map-wide.gif

map6100yahoometroplex.gif

vs.

map_atlanta2.jpg

atlanta-area-map.jpg

see the blobs?

Aporkalypse, the numbers just for Dallas should include the 500,000+ in Collin County, the 435,000+ in Denton County, and the 43,000 in Rockwall County. These are mostly Dallas suburbs and this excludes the 1.5 million+ in Tarrant County, many of whom do not work in Fort Worth. I know that im forgetting the counties south of Dallas as well.

oh and not to be unfair with the maps, these are what i could find until someone posts better ones.

Archived