Dallas vs Atlanta

monsoon

Which is the better Metro?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Metro?

• Atlanta
    • Dallas

I like ATL better because it doesn't have a sister city like (FT Worth) to help spawn its growth.

Are you saying if you woke up tomorrow morning and Nashville had appeared where Marietta is now, you wouldn't say alllrriiiiighhht!! And you would even get the Signature Tower as a bonus. :thumbsup:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Buckhead

Under Construction

The Mansion on Peachtree - 58 stories, hotel/residential

3344 Peachtree - 47 stories, office/residential

Terminus 100 - 33 stories, office

Realm - 29 stories, residential

Gallery - 27 stories, residential

Ovation - 19 stories, residential

Proposed/Planned

Terminus 3 - 40 stories, residential

Terminus 4 - 40 stories, residential

3630 Peachtree - 36 stories, office/residential *plans late summer groundbreaking

3690 Peachtree - 29 stories, residential *plans late summer groundbreaking

Tower @ Phipps I - 32 stories, residential

Tower @ Phipps II - 32 stories, residential

St Regis Buckhead - 26 stories, hotel/residential *site prep started

Terminus 200 - 22 stories, office *slated for Fall groundbreaking

Terminus 5 - 20 stories of residential atop parking deck

Phipps Tower - 20 stories, office

Two Alliance Center - 20 stories, office

Lenbrook Square - 24 stories, senior residential

The Brookwood - 19 stories, residential *groundbreaking spring '06

Buckhead Place - 16 stories, residential

Prominence Two - 14 stories, office

The Aramore Tower - 14 stories, residential

Mega Project

Cityplace at Buckhead

Nine 40-story residential towers and one 20-story tower

Downtown

Under Construction

Twelve Centennial I - 39 stories, residential

45 Allen Plaza - 26 stories, W hotel/residential

Twelve Centennial Hotel - 16 stories

The Reynolds - 15 stories, residential

GSU Dorms - 15 stories

55 Allen Plaza - 14 stories, office

Proposed/Planned

50 Allen Plaza - 37 stories, office

Twelve Centennial II - 39 stories, residential

Atlantis Tower - 29 stories, residential

Days Inn site condos I - 15-20 stories

Days Inn site condos II - 15-20 stories

Americas Mart expansion - 18 stories, exhibit space *site prep started

Mega Project

Allen Plaza

At least 4 residential towers planned and possibly another hotel and additonal office space

Midtown

Under Construction

Aqua - 24 stories, residential

Two Peachtree Point - 18 stories, office

201 17th Street - 17 stories, office

Proposed/Planned

Twelve 14th Street - 59 stories, office/hotel/residential

The Atlantic - 40-50 stories, residential *reportedly planned '06 groundbreaking

Trilogy I - 36 stories, residential *planned May groundbreaking

1010 Peachtree - 36 stories, residential *notice to vacate issued to Vision nightclub

Trilogy II - 33 stories, residential

Trilogy III - 33 stories, residential

Holder 14th street office tower - 29 stories

166 16th street - 33 stories, residential

1163 West Peachtree - 32 stories, residential

Ponce tower @ 615 Peachtree - 30 stories, residential *old 615 building demolition set for this spring

Luxe - 22 stories, residential

271 17th street - 18 stories, office

Onyx - 15 stories, residential

615 Peachtree - office/residential, height unknown

Wieland Arts Center Tower - uknown height, residential

Mega Project

Atlantic Station

Space for as many as 10 additional towers for office space, residential or hotel

This is the stuff going on in Atlanta right now not including the perimeter centers outside the city

• 4 weeks later...

Are you kidding? There are 15 cranes in downtown/uptown Dallas right now.

yes but Houston and Atlanta got a head start on Dallas. Dallas is not rushing to build just NEW towers. They are simply converting alot of old office buildings into residential units. The time for new highrises in downtown will come. But I was only referring to downtown though.

yes but Houston and Atlanta got a head start on Dallas. Dallas is not rushing to build just NEW towers. They are simply converting alot of old office buildings into residential units. The time for new highrises in downtown will come. But I was only referring to downtown though.

Do you know Dallas very well or have you been gone for some time? Uptown is the area directly across the Woodall-Rodgers Freeway from downtown. It's the only real area where new high-rises can be built to be contiguous with the CBD. There are multiple large high rise condo projects going on in downtown (Arts District) and Uptown right now and Woodall-Rodgers Freeway is lined with cranes. Uptown is the area they are building, generally right across from West End and the Arts District, because building in the heart of the CBD amongst the office towers is further from the retail and restaurants and there are few suitable sites that haven't already been built up.

There are some office to loft conversions going on but these are really dwarfed by the Victory Project alone.

Here's a list of major high rises in/adjacent to the CBD currently under construction:

Victory Tower /Mandarin Oriental Hotel Mixed-use 45 stories Victory Park

W Dallas Victory Hotel & Residences North Mixed-use 33 stories Victory Park

W Dallas Victory Hotel & Residences South Mixed-use 15 stories Victory Park

The Azure Residential 31 stories Uptown

Cirque Tower Residential 28 stories Victory Park

The House Residential 28 stories Victory Park

One Arts Plaza (7-11 Headquarters) Mixed-use 24 stories Arts District

The Sterling Residential 22 stories Uptown

Ritz Carlton Hotel & Residences Mixed-use 21 stories Uptown

Museum Tower Residential 20 stories Arts District

There are a couple of smaller 15-20 story buildings also underway and countless proposed/approved new buildings.

I was in Dallas late last year.I understand what you are saying though and I was aware of the projects in Dallas in both uptown and downtown. but Houston and Atlanta has a long list of projects asl well and have been building them since the late 90s. That's where I said they got a head start. In fact, if you look at projects completed since 2000, I believe Houston and Atlanta has a long list with Dallas catching up if they haven't caught up already. i believe Dallas will pass both in the next few years.

The population of Dallas/Ft. Worth is quite a bit larger than both Houston and Atlanta so I would hope it would be outbuilding both cities but apparently not. There seems to be lots of new proposals lately but Atlanta seems to be getting proposals every other day and Houston not far behind. Im hoping to see that 900 footer go up in Ft. Worth though, that would be wonderful.

The population of Dallas/Ft. Worth is quite a bit larger than both Houston and Atlanta so I would hope it would be outbuilding both cities but apparently not. There seems to be lots of new proposals lately but Atlanta seems to be getting proposals every other day and Houston not far behind. Im hoping to see that 900 footer go up in Ft. Worth though, that would be wonderful.

you people really need to catch up on your readings. it seems like you atlanta people only know whats going on in ga. dallas has massive projects going on, and have been in a building boom throughout the mid 90s to now. especially, at the turn of the century. there is no way houston even comes close in number or scale of projects going on in dallas, and it is probably pretty close between atl/dallas.

also, most of dallas' projects are spread throughout the metro. if you put all that together, dallas would easily have the best skyline in the south, and one of the best in the nation.

go read some more.

There are plenty of midrises under development in the Atlanta suburbs too, but most if not any of them are listed in any Atlanta development thread Ive seen. I saw a Dallas UC/Proposed list the other day and it had like 20, 5-8 floor buildings planned for different parts of the metro. I wouldnt even consider that worth mentioning.

:rofl:

I think its important to know how each city is doing in individual categories.

Dallas

Atlanta

Interesting graphs Krazeeboi. I guess if you are not doing well in Planning/Land Use then your numbers will sink. Based on the graphs, it would not appear that Dallas is that far ahead of Atlanta. In fact in several catagories Atlanta garners the highest rating. I wish Atlanta would put more emphasis on Planning/ Land Use and Metro Congestion. We could also work on air quality. Unfortunately, geography is not on our side. The first step would be to concentrate on alternative fuels and public transportation.

There are plenty of midrises under development in the Atlanta suburbs too, but most if not any of them are listed in any Atlanta development thread Ive seen. I saw a Dallas UC/Proposed list the other day and it had like 20, 5-8 floor buildings planned for different parts of the metro. I wouldnt even consider that worth mentioning.

Are you kidding? There are that many 15+ buildings planned or under construction just in/adjacent to the CBD alone, not including developments at other locations in the metro. Your "data" is incorrect.

Archived