Norfolk/Portsmouth skyline

krdarden

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry I have to disagree about the oceanfront being called a downtown. I'm not sure if a city in the world has "2" downtowns but if there is,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever been to Los Angeles? They actually have several downtowns or maybe more approprioately "business districts" that are seperate from the main downtown but still operate as a core for business (Century City being a primary example of this). I see

Virginia Beach in the same light. They have two seperate cores or business districts that , while maybe not the true definition of a downtown, operate as such.

Have you ever been to Los Angeles? They actually have several downtowns or maybe more approprioately "business districts" that are seperate from the main downtown but still operate as a core for business (Century City being a primary example of this). I see

Virginia Beach in the same light. They have two seperate cores or business districts that , while maybe not the true definition of a downtown, operate as such.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the end its still not really called a downtown. If we have to believe or view "business districts" as such, then I would call the military circle corridor in Norfolk as a downtown too. Unfortunately, I don't consider the oceanfront as a downtown just like military circle area. True its a business district but I don't really want to call a district of businesses where the majority of jobs are paid $10 or less an hour in the same vein as a downtown with a majority of its workers making $50,000 or more a year. Those business districts in LA to me are more comparable to office parks in Lynnhaven or Lake Wright Executive Center though maybe more urban-like and dense than our parks. Districts are cores of business but I'd say downtowns are the truest of the cores.

How is the "Resort" area a thriving business district???? Its a resort area, it has business but not like it has a bunch of lawyers and doctors or offices there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't agree with the generalizations... What makes money for Virginia Beach? The resort makes hundreds of millions of dollars for the city per year... so it really is important. Not a DOWNTOWN per-say... but I'd say a business district. The hundreds of shops and restaurants that line Atlantic (soon to be joined with multiple-floor apartments, condos and commercial) pump tons of money into the city and has considerable "business interests". One day I think TC will be a downtown for real, but now it's just a "second business district". Whether or not you include the oceanfront as business district or not, it has way more highrises than Portsmouth. Portsmouth has four. Virginia Beach (YES if including the oceanfront) has over ten.

I'm questioning whether the last two (really one) comment was related to me? I was just joking about my town and didn't mean to say something derogatory in relation to any other cities---and I agree---we need to function more as a region instead of how we are now, a series of independent cities with little interest in their neighbors.

Poquoson has extremely low employment and the AVERAGE income is high. It has the Peninsula's wealthiest---and poorest---residents in one place. I'm not a fan of the town. It's completely backwards and "quaint" in a isolationist way. It's a fairly charming town, though, I suppose... depending on your definition.

If you don't like it why do you live there? You can always move to another area of the region

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can I now?? Bear in mind I'm in high school so it isn't very easy for me to say "Gee mom and dad, why don't we move? I mean you saved for decades to buy this house and all, but why the hell not?" Seriously. Even if I did live by myself, I'd be at the point where I would live where I could. If it was my choice... I would move to DT Norfolk, personally. It's a great place to live and be and it's extremely convenient to the entire region (aside from the whole HRBTunnel issue lol).

No one is attacking you, we just thought you didn't like it chill out and try not to be so sensitive ok. :thumbsup: I just feel that we need to be unified and its good that you are getting interested in your region early.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that and overreacted (and note I edited the post) b/c I guess I feel like I have to "be a certain way" because I am only 16. But *bleh*. We do need to be unified, but locales such as my own, York County, Virginia Beach (in ways) and the older Peninsula residents seem to be highly resistant to working together.

You are right and they are all fighting for everything to be the king of Hampton Roads or the Pennisula or the southside. This actually hurts the area more than it than it helps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just want our region to compete with the likes of regions similar to us such as Charlotte, Raleigh, and Jacksonville, Fl.

I am a bit jeolous of Charlotte and all the new construction projects going on in that city; however, we fare well as a region when all projects are considered in all the H/R cities combined. I think that our region could also experience an explosion of high-rise condo projects in the near future but it sure does seem that we are often overlooked by developers when we have so much waterfront property just ripe for condo development!

Finally, does anyone think that the Towncenter will have some high-rise condos rising there in the near future? I think that Buddy G. will be the primary developer for condos in downtown Norfolk but I would like to see some developers from outside this region come in and throw up a couple nice towers by the end of this decade!

I just want our region to compete with the likes of regions similar to us such as Charlotte, Raleigh, and Jacksonville, Fl.

I am a bit jeolous of Charlotte and all the new construction projects going on in that city; however, we fare well as a region when all projects are considered in all the H/R cities combined. I think that our region could also experience an explosion of high-rise condo projects in the near future but it sure does seem that we are often overlooked by developers when we have so much waterfront property just ripe for condo development!

Finally, does anyone think that the Towncenter will have some high-rise condos rising there in the near future? I think that Buddy G. will be the primary developer for condos in downtown Norfolk but I would like to see some developers from outside this region come in and throw up a couple nice towers by the end of this decade!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out this thread, it looks like we're stepping it up as far as competition top ten metros for business

Also, i am kinda confused by you're last question. TC already has condos going up soon in the 38 story Westin tower. Are you referring to residential towers beyond the Westin?

Check out this thread, it looks like we're stepping it up as far as competition top ten metros for business

Also, i am kinda confused by you're last question. TC already has condos going up soon in the 38 story Westin tower. Are you referring to residential towers beyond the Westin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he means just condos. Like the Granby towers in just condos. The westin is hotel and condos.

Well TC is just about built out for the most part. The Westin and Peforming Arts Center will be built soon. That will only leave a small plat of land (currently where those houses are which is purported to be retail) and then the parking lot which is used for the Columbus One Tower. That site is reported to be a site for a future tower for a business which will locate here but who knows - maybe the tower might be office and condos. Hmm, interesting mixed use concept. B) Ahh, course there is the Taco Bell and Va Pilot which are trying to hold out but it's only matter of time until they are gobbled up. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I wrote umm, someone - I think it was the TC website - to see if they had a model for public view but I never received a response. Now Norfolk being such an urban city they should have something like that. I don't know though for a fact.

We need something like this done for our skyline. We really need to get a feel for how all these buildings will look when all is said and done. ---->Miami skyline renderings

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Part of me is sooo jealous of Miami. They're going to have an amazing skyline in 10 years.

But then I think about the drugs, crime, prostitution, murderers, etc. and realize that I like Norfolk a lot better haha :D

Yeah I wrote umm, someone - I think it was the TC website - to see if they had a model for public view but I never received a response. Now Norfolk being such an urban city they should have something like that. I don't know though for a fact.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a very bare bones rendering along time ago of what the Norfolk skyline would look like with the new buildings. It was done by this kid and i can't for the life of me what his sn was or which one of the sights i frequented had the rendering.

Archived