Norfolk/Portsmouth skyline

krdarden

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've driven through the downtown tunnel and i love coming up and seeing the buildings from there its great. Someone should take a photo of the 17 story building being built in fort norfolk and the progress of the heart center for Norfolk general too. We should also take pics of OV and the progress up there.

On the 264 coming into Portsmouth/Norfolk there is a really cool view of both cities' skylines.  Do any of you have pix that include both downtowns?  Thanks ahead of time

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I think it's best viewed on the Portsmouth approach to the tunnel. About 1 or 2 miles before the tunnel you get a nice view that makes the two cities' skylines appear as one (on the Norfolk side Portsmouth's skyline seems more distant). I have no pictures of that myself but I am aware of that view.

Yeah I think it's best viewed on the Portsmouth approach to the tunnel.  About 1 or 2 miles before the tunnel you get a nice view that makes the two cities' skylines appear as one (on the Norfolk side Portsmouth's skyline seems more distant).  I have no pictures of that myself but I am aware of that view.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that view is great! I just can't imagine how much better it will be in 6 or 7 years when Portsmouth add a couple of towers and condos to the mix to go along with Norfolk's new towers.

Hey Lammius do you think it will all be Norfolk someday?

I found this one picture, although its not from I-264. Its from www.beachscreens.com

norfolk-portsmouthskyline.bmp

Oh yeah, and here's another that shows both. from www.norfolk.gov

053.jpg

Edit: sorry for the small size....hmmm...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, i really like that first photo.

That's Norfolk trying to compete with Va Beach. They need to make their mind up. Someone should go to  a city meeting with the mayor there and address the issue of whether or not the city wants to be a city or it wants to be a suburbs. I guess you can argue that LA is not city then because in the city limits there are tons of single family houses. The ghettos are single family homes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that we have to let the neighborhoods outside of the Norfolk development zone decide what is in their best interests with some direction to ensure that the city does not develop in all different directions. I think that the city has guidelines in place and has developed plans for neighborhoods but the citizens have the final say and so far this seems to work pretty well in most cases,

Okinawatyphoon, I know you cited norfolk.gov as the source for the second pic, but could you offer a more detailed description of where to find it there?  If there's a larger version on the site I'd like to see it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh wow, i put norfolk.gov :blink: . I meant www.norfolkdevelopment.com. However, that site is down at the moment. On that site, you have to go to press releases and go to photo gallery i think and you have to fill out a form stating the usage of the picture and so on. I can give you the URL once the site is up though. :thumbsup:

Oh wow, i put norfolk.gov  :blink: . I meant www.norfolkdevelopment.com. However, that site is down at the moment. On that site, you have to go to press releases and go to photo gallery i think and you have to fill out a form stating the usage of the picture and so on. I can give you the URL once the site is up though.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The norfolkdevelopment.com website is back up. I retrieved that photo today. It's surprising how much info they require to allow you to use it.

Since the weather was great I took a few pics while downtown today.

A partial pic of the skyline of DT.

DSC02122.jpg

I can't remember the name of the bridge and body of water but it is near the Hague. It is located on Brambleton Ave.

DSC02123.jpg

A pic of EVMS and Norfolk General which is building on a huge wing for a heart hospital. This hospital is currently in the top 20 best hospitals in the US for heart related matters.

DSC02124.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Anyway, lets get back on topic here.  We can create a separate thread to the evils of WM.

I have always envisioned skylines on both banks of the Elizabeth River.  Norfolk and Portmouth could have a twin cities vibe going like Minneapolis and St. Paul.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Twin cities are already being developed with norfolk and va beach. Portsmouth would be an added trio for the hampton roads area. But portsmouth isnt going to urbanize like norfolk or portsmouth yet. It is still further behind than va beach.

Twin cities are already being developed with norfolk and va beach.  Portsmouth would be an added trio for the hampton roads area.  But portsmouth isnt going to urbanize like norfolk or portsmouth yet.  It is still further behind than va beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Portsmouth behind va beach? Just comparing number of skyscrapers, portsmouth has at least 4 right? Va beach has 1 (3 at most if you include columbus and cosmo). Plus, Portsmouth has a port and actual history, plus a great museum and sports hall of fame. I'm not saying va beach won't pass Portsmouth, but Portsmouth isn't that bad!

Portsmouth behind va beach? Just comparing number of skyscrapers, portsmouth has at least 4 right? Va beach has 1 (3 at most if you include columbus and cosmo). Plus, Portsmouth has a port and actual history, plus a great museum and sports hall of fame. I'm not saying va beach won't pass Portsmouth, but Portsmouth isn't that bad!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though the oceanfront isn't TC it is one of Va beachs downtowns and it has several highrises including 3 currently over 20 stories and 3 more under construction that will be over 20 stories. The oceanfront is far more developed than DT Portsmouth. And TC to the mix and i would say that P-town being behind Va. Beach is a correct statement.

Even though the oceanfront isn't TC it is one of Va beachs downtowns and it has several highrises including 3 currently over 20 stories and 3 more under construction that will be over 20 stories. The oceanfront is far more developed than DT Portsmouth. And TC to the mix and i would say that P-town being behind Va. Beach is a correct statement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe that the oceanfront should be considered a downtown. Its just a string of kinda tall hotels and grungy shops. Its not a hub for business or residents, just tourists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry I have to disagree about the oceanfront being called a downtown. I'm not sure if a city in the world has "2" downtowns but if there is, I don't hear anyone talking or mentioning it. Plus a downtown is first known as a business-centric core, not a resort or entertainment district. Sure downtown Norfolk has retail and entertainment and a restaurant district but those things aren't what people's views of it. Downtown has more than 5,000 (but realistically it's probably more like 10,000) workers who work for business and education over the few thousand that work for retail and entertainment. You want to walk around a downtown with people wearing business suits and a level of professionalism. Unfortunately, the oceanfront has nothing close to that and Town Center only has a small margin of that.

I wouldn't call it a downtown persay, but may a district? In a way it's a shame that VA beach's TC which may eventually become the 'downtown' isn't closer to the beach. I also hope/think there are more than 10,000 workers in downtown norfolk

I also hope/think there are more than 10,000 workers in downtown norfolk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just trying to be conservative. I don't want to give some weird, nonsense, astronomical number like 50,000

I also hope/think there are more than 10,000 workers in downtown norfolk
I think the number is more than double that. Also, I think the number of visitors on the weekends to downtown is roughly the same as workers.

I can't find my sources, but I remember reading it somewhere.

Archived