*Lansing's Historic Walnut Neighborhood*

RustTown

Well, on the lazy afternoon of Easter Sunday I decided to do a residential tour of a historic residential neighborhood just north of downtown Lansing,MI. It was even more desserted than usual, but I like it like that. :) Just about all of the homes are nearly 90 years old or much older (most dating back to the late 1800's and a few back to 1850). The neighborhood (which has experienced severe decline) is mostly low-income now.

Here's a map of the area I walked which parts of both Oldtown mostly east of the river, and Walnut, mostly west of the river north of Saginaw Street.

71lansing_map.jpg

I started out on Center Street which is mostly industrial with some scattered housing such as this at the very southern end of this street that connected downtown and Old Town:

712_center_street.jpg

This old house is now an apartment structure that sits on the steep slopes heading down towards the river. A lot of the houses here have been leveled so it's pretty isolated down by the river.

713_center_street.jpg

713_center_street__2_.jpg

Further towards center of Old Town Center Street becomes industrial and rises above the riverbank to get views like this

714_center_street_streetscape.jpg

A block east is a major thoroughfare: Cedar Street. Here's the vacant, but waiting to be renovated historic Cedar Street School.

715_cedar_street_school.jpg

Another old house on Cedar Street in Old Town

716_cedar_street_house.jpg

A row of old homes heading towards downtown on Cedar. This area would really benefit from infill which has skipped over this area

717_cedar_street_streetscape.jpg

Heading back to Center Street near the river you get this view looking into downtown over and empty lot that will soon hold light industrial. Riverfront Towers stands at the border of downtown and Old Town.

718_center_street.jpg

719_center_street_view_of_riverfront_towers.jpg

Crossing the Grand into the very edge of Old Town I snapped this shot of a local business: Elderly Instruments. It claims to have the most guitars in Michigan, and holds weekly indie concerts.

7110_elderly_instruments.jpg

Going into almost Walnut Neighborhood (almost entirely residential), there are some more historic houses on Maple Street.

7111_east_maple_street.jpg

A block east I began to head down Capitol Avenue towards downtown catching a shot on Emmanuel First Luthern Church, a neighborhood church.

7112_emmanuel_first_temple.jpg

900 North Block of Capitol Avenue

7113_capitol_avenue.jpg

7114_capitol_avenue__2_.jpg

800 North Block of Capitol Avenue

7115_capitol_avenue__3_.jpg

711_capitol_avenue.jpg

7116_capitol_avenue__4_.jpg

Heading back towards Old Town on Washington Avenue (Lansing's historic main street). After large parts of the main street were turned into pedestrian malls (for Lansing Community College and a few businesses along the north part of the CBD) it totally disconnected Old Town from downtown which has led to a decline in both.

800 Block of North Washington Avenue

7117_washington_avenue.jpg

Central Free Methodist Church on the 800 north block

7118_central_united_methodist.jpg

7119_washington_avenue__2_.jpg

900 north block of Washington Avenue

7120_washington_avenue__3_.jpg

7121_washington_avenue__4_.jpg

7123_washington_avenue.jpg

7124_washington_avenue.jpg

Lastly, a few streetscapes...

Looking south from the 900 north block of Washington Avenue towards downtown

7122_washington_avenue_streetscape.jpg

Looking north towards the commercial district of Old Town

7125_washington_avenue_streetscape__2_.jpg

7126_washington_avenu_streetscape__3_.jpg

Another downtown tour is coming later...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics! Its always nice to see what residential neighborhoods, outside of downtown, look like in smaller often overlooked cities.

BTW, I've always been interested in industrial architecture. In the skyline shot, there's a plant with three large stacks in the background. What type of factory is that? Do you have any close ups of it.

That's the massive Ekert Power Station, part of the Lansing Board of Water and Light, at the very edge of downtown to the south. It's stacks are 620 feet tall.

71eckert_i.jpg

71eckert_ii.jpg

71ekert_2.jpg

Lansing does have pretty good industrial architecture for a city it's size. The Ottawa Street Station (also downtown) at 313 feet is another impressive art deco industrial building

71oss_from_lcc.jpg

71p1010005.jpg

71oss_from_city_market.jpg

Great photos! I especially like the house in this photo:

711_capitol_avenue.jpg

If only they would do something with the porch. While I'm sure it's convenient when it's enclosed like that, it would look much better if it was open, as I'm sure it was originally.

Great tour! I was wanting to see more of Lansing's neighborhoods. There's a nice mix of homes in that area. I had to laugh at the name "Elderly Instruments", though. It just doesn't have that ring to it, lol.

In this picture in the bottom right corner - what's up with the gaps in the sidewalk?

717_cedar_street_streetscape.jpg

You know, I didn't notice those when walking but Lansing is notorious for not upkeeping it's sidewalks. For a smaller city it's really pedestrian unfriendly as you can see with the countless one-way streets (Cedar is one of those) and really wide ones at that.

Wolverine, in Lansing, we're lucky. All of our powerplants are on rivers so there is not much they can do to stop people from taking pics from the other sides of the river. :)

• 1 month later...

Lmichigan, I seem to follow you from forum to forum...

(aka missnmich)

I've lived in a lot of places since I left Michigan, but Lansing will always hold a special place in my heart.

How's my old E. Michigan Ave. neighborhood doing? (Sparrow Hospital area)?

The area is still an odd mix of businesses, but Sparrow Hospital is undergoing a major expansion. If you haven't been hear since the parking deck was added on to it a few years back, you'd be surprised.

Also, quite a few ethnic restaurants and stores are filling storefronts along E. Michigan Avenue (i.e. a Muslim market, an Armenian restaurants, and quite a few others).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatly, The school for the blind was recently closed and the main building has been boarded up, I'll see if I can work on some pics. It spent the past several

years as state offices and the Department of Corrections training school, for prison guards. There has been some talk of handing the property over to the city but nothing official.

Unfortunatly, The school for the blind was recently closed and the main building has been boarded up, I'll see if I can work on some pics. It spent the past several

years as state offices and the Department of Corrections training school, for prison guards. There has been some talk of handing the property over to the city but nothing official.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has been awhile since I have been on that side of Lansing. Does it look anything like this old postcard:

School%20for%20the%20Blind.jpg

If it even slighty resembles this, DO NOT let them tear it down :wacko:

Nope, they remodeled it, But it stil looks very nice and historic. It has been painted with a redbrick tone and the side of the building visible in the postcard now has columns rising the full height of the building, I have a picture of the building as it looked like this. And as far as I know there are NO plans to tear it down.

Actually it's across the river from the where River Street meets St. Joseph and Main Street where they conjoin at the river downtown. I crawled up the embakement a ways and shot the picture. I thought it really illustrated how divided the north and southsides are since they are cut off by both a river and a widefreeway.

Archived