*Lansing,MI: Capitol Complex at Sunset*

RustTown

It was just a great day to take some photos, and the sun (as you all know) doesn't hurt.

Here's where I started, on a huge and sprawling surface parking lot in the westside of downtown Lansing. They should really bury this or consolidate it into a garage:

71downtown_-_westside_state_parking_lot.jpg

Starting off with the typical over-the-parking-lot view of Constitution Hall.

71downtown_-_constitution_hall.jpg

A peak into part of the CBD

71downtown_-_cbd.jpg

Zoom

71downtown_-_cbd_zoom.jpg

Looking down Washtenaw towards the Grand Tower in the background on the Grand River.

71downtown_-_washtenaw_street_sunset.jpg

The back of Constitution Hall

71downtown_-_constitution_hall__2_.jpg

Mason Building and Capitol Dome

71downtown_-_mason_and_capitol_dome.jpg

Mason Building (in capitol complex) with Allegan Street under total reconstruction as part of the massive Capitol Loop project.

71downtown_-_mason.jpg

Looking west at the edge of downtown and the Capitol Complex lies the Michigan Hall of Justice

71downtown_-_hall_of_justice.jpg

Capitol Loop reconstruction along Allegan Street

71downtown_-_capitol_view_and_construction.jpg

71downtown_-_allegan_street_construction.jpg

M-DOT Building

71downtown_-_transportation_building.jpg

Lewis Cass Building to the south

71downtown_-_lewis_cass_state_office_building.jpg

Towers on Allegan Street

71downtown_-_boji_towers.jpg

Michigan Capitol

71downtown_-_capitol_building.jpg

Capitol View Building closeup

71downtown_-_capitol_view.jpg

Capitol Commons Centre (and office/residential complex) in the southwest of downtown

71downtown_-_capitol_commons_centre.jpg

Lastly, a lonely view of Kalamazoo Street looking east towards the river

71downtown_-_kalamazoo_street.jpg

Yep, it was a lazy Easter Sunday, all right...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photos, LMich! Those surface lots are gigantic...fortunately it will only be a matter of time before they are built on.

I really need to make it over to Lansing someday. I've lived in Michigan my whole life and have only been to Lansing twice!

Thanks, Allan.

VeeFan, the Boji Complex (now and officially Capitol View Building) is topped out with all of the work left on the inside. The restaurant is supposed to open in the early summer, and they are still tracking down retail tenants for the ground floor. The office space, though, is 100% leased.

Wolverine, I'm not exactly sure, but here is what was listed on the national register of historic places:

Bowd,Edwyn Albert, Wood,William P., Construction Co.

Now that one, I like! In this one the contruction seems more like part of the focus as opposed to the pic of the capitol where it's seems more like an obstruction. It looks like there should be an article or something to go with this last shot with the "Boji" (I'm too used to the name now).

Actually, I hate that it blends with the rest of the building. Especially considering how ugly the office building is. It would have been perfect (especially so close to the Capitol) if it would have been brick and glass. And, since the City of Lansing owns it and helped build it, I was hoping they would have hired a different architect.

It's just so sad that the garage is almost as tall as the office building, and nearly three times the size. The only good thing is that this replaced a surface lot only having to tear down one historic building on the corner of the block-long lot.

• 3 months later...

I hate to dig up old forums, but I have to. Lmich, I thought I heard you mention before that you have talked to the Boji's before, any idea what happened to Capitol View, what happened to the light yellow coloring, light blue mirror glass and penthouse under that 4-pitch roof. It would have at least looked decent if built like in the concept drawing.

They simply didn't build the concept and streamlined everything. Everything was scaled back.

They did build the crown on top, though, to be easily dismantled, and said they can extend the building by 1 floors, and the parking deck can fit 2 floors (which I hear rumors that they may add residential which wouldn't make much since to me). Also, that's the reason the mechanical penthouse/elevator room is so tall on top of the building.

Archived