Some more Detroit from the Broderick

wolverine

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like having Greektown & Harmonie Park more low-rise oriented.  It makes the areas more human-scaled.  Tall buildings are nice, but only to a certain extent. 

BTW, nice photos, Wolverine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm reminded of the depressing feeling being in Manhattan when, despite the wide streets, the sun was only visible for a few hours of the day. I was only there for a weekend, imagine living there! A variety of building sizes is always a good thing, and especially with the natural beauty inherent to Michigan we should enjoy the view that we have.

I stayed in downtown Manhattan for 3 months and never really noticed the lack of sunlight. I was only on the 3rd floor, too - less than 2 blocks from the WTC.

I guess a lot depends on what direction your apartment is facing among other things.

Detroit could definitely use some more mid-to-high rise residential. I know 4 people who have looked into living downtown but passed to live in 5000 Towne Center in Southfield. I don't know why they didn't look into Riverfront, but my personal opinion that is Riverfront is in serious need of some updating.

I will be in Detroit in 3 weeks to look at residential options downtown for myself (moving back after a 7 yr absence), and I will be checking into the Kales Bldg.

Actually, Riverfront Towers (two of them) are undergoing renovation into condominiums units, so I'm sure updating doesn't have much to do with it. The whole closed-off feel of the complex might deter some people. It looks and feels like a compound, and you can't really walk anywhere from it easily. Despite being so close to downtown and right on the river it is extremely isolated.

Archived