Detroit YMCA

rbdetsport

Why does everyone think that the new Downtown Detroit YMCA is so ugly? It looks modern. There is nothing wrong with modern buildings in the CBD of Detroit. What is the completion date? Will there be retail at it? Is it going to be connected to the people mover? This project will be a huge edition to the Broadway Area.

post-1718-1112021648_thumb.jpg

post-1718-1112021648_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer to your first question is... because it is cheaply done. My God, they used sheet metal to clad it. It looks like an ugly warehouse shed. It is also too much its own entity. Buildings can make a statement, be contemporary, yet still be sympathetic to their surroundings, however the YMCA fails to do this in so many ways.

The rest of your questions can be answered with a NO, and that is why the building sucks, my friend :lol:

I am disliking the new YMCA more and more each time I see it. It is an architectural disaster...it looks like a factory got uprooted and landed smack in the middle of Broadway. It will add streetlife, but leaves much to be desired aesthetically. I am not at all happy with the design that SmithGroup came up with...they could have done much better.

The main thing is, that it doesnt fit in with the surrounding buildings. Yes the building is ugly, it can't get any uglier or cheaply made than it gets. Watch 50 years from now the building will be falling on itself and the Broderick will still be there!

It sure seems like the YMCA's been hacking the budget for design and construction lately. I was really disappointed with GR's new stack of glass and cinder-blocks...but esh, sheet metal?! :blink:

GR's almost-completed downtown YMCA:

6548.jpg

They are leaving their much more beautiful, current structure, but it's not all bad - they've have already planned its conversion into condos:

P1010067.jpg

Like many things, they don't build YMCA's like they used to. Lansing's old one (now vacant since the downtown branch moved out to the edge of the city) isn't spectacular, but it's better than the structure they renovated:

71ymca.jpg

Detroit's new one is interesting. It's sad that they scaled back A LOT from the original proposal.

The new YMCA in Ann Arbor puts the one in Detroit to horrible shame. It has been long completed, but I currently don't have access to my photos right now, so these ones of it under construction will have to do

outside.jpg

banner_newYconstruction.jpg

And, the entire building is constructed of BRICK

Thanks for the link.

I'd choose the original rendering over today's any day. A nice mix of curves, glass, brick. I approve.

Today's is nothing but cheap blocky siding and glass. Such an architectural disaster!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The older rendering is infinitely better than that current calamity. Is it done by the same architects? What prompted the change?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the former YMCA plan would have been built, wouldn't that have called for the demolition of several large buildings? The building appears to occupy the entire city block, and if I'm not mistaken, there are other fairly large buildngs under renovation at the moment on that block.

Reguardless, the former design is superb.

EDIT: The old GR YMCA looks alot like the YMCA in Detroit that was demoed for the stadium projects

The Y and the DPM station are the only thing on that block. One plan (maybe that rendering) was to build a new PM station into the builiding.

I'm pretty sure the difficulty of doing that had something to do with a new design. Wait until it is done to pass judgement though. You never know if you might be surprised, and it isn't worth beotching about something that hasn't even happened yet.

Archived