Norfolk Pictures

willy

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think this picture really does Norfolk well. But with pictures like this, I can't help but be reminded of how much urban fabric was lost with the construction of MacArthur Center. 

If 17 acres of empty parking lots that sat undeveloped for over 30 years constitutes "urban fabric", then yes, we lost urban fabric to MacArthur Center.

I'm aware that the area (which still had a grid system) sat undeveloped for years, and I'm not not disputing the fact that MacArthur Center was and still is an enormous boon to the city. Building the mall was undeniably the right move, but it DID close off a lot of the city to the lifeless walls of an indoor shopping mall. That's the loss of "urban fabric" that I was talking about. 

But back on topic, yeah, I really like that view of Norfolk.

• 8 months later...

Not the greatest picture, but here is a view of the Norfolk skyline from the Western Branch of the Elizabeth River headed into Portsmouth on May 2nd. Imagine what the new Harbor Heights will do for Norfolk's skyline.

Western Branch river looking towards Norfolk skyline.jpg

I have always thought this was a great view of downtown. I can't help but get distracted every time I drive that way!

I agree that's a great view. I drove through the Midtown Tunnel a couple days ago, and noticed the skyline. More density than I realized from that angle. The Hilton will compliment things quite well, as will Harbor's Edge II, if/when that gets formally approved.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey guys - great photos! I am glad to know that you are out there, too, capturing images of Norfolk as it rapidly changes. We are probably unwittingly crossing paths taking photos.

Please consider uploading some of them onto Google Maps to their respective addresses by business or site. I am a voluntary Google Maps guide for Norfolk, and we need to visually connect our businesses, local sights and places. Any time you find a new business help them out or support your favorite businesses and places by uploading photos or making comments. This is how locals and visitors find these places. The more digitally connected we are the better for everyone in Norfolk. I can't hit every place that is needed so join in.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very nice find. I didn't realize part of the facade of the Main hotel was being interwoven from the facade of the Decker building. That's quite innovative and a great way to preserve history yet allow progress. The hand carved lion's heads should add quite a distinction to the exterior as well.

Edited by urbanvb