Norfolk Pictures

willy

BTW, the 2 guys in my photo stood at that light/intersection for at least 15 minutes looking at the construction site....ok guys, fess up...were they anyone from this board!!!  Or maybe...??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not today but i do usually make it past there about 2-3 times a week.

The bus terminals day are severely numbered. If the city doesn't grab it for the library the Feds probably will for the courts expansion (thats the only place they have left to go). It hasn't been decided yet what is to be done with the building above, they may either renovate it or tear it down and put something in its place. It is still very early in that process.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kinda hope they keep the Texaco Building and turn it into lofts or something. I don't know why but I do like the facade - the Texaco stars in particular! It has a sort of nice look to it - maybe it's the brick...or maybe it was the heat and humidity today!! But I likey the building. :P

Thank you so much for posting this pic. These are the funky cranes I was referring to. This may not be a tall structure but it is by far the most impressive construction site in the city right now. It's amazing to see. It may very well be the row at Ghent. There are 2 similar projects under the same developer and i'm constantly interchanging the names . If you don't mind I'm gonna add the pic to the projects listing as well. A question for our resident engineer : Urbanfan, is there a particular purpose to a construction company using cranes of such design?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Feel free to grab the pix for use in other threads. BTW, where do I post Va. Beach pix? I have a couple of Town Center.

Feel free to grab the pix for use in other threads.  BTW, where do I post Va. Beach pix?  I have a couple of Town Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

General towncenter pics just post in the Va. Beach Towncenter thread. Pics of the Westin site try to keep in the Westin thread. Since it looks like that project is getting underway now I want to try to keep that separated out and eventually turn the Westin thread into the Westin progress thread.

Not intended to take Cali's thunder but I love taking pics. Here are a few Norfolk pics I have. Sorry if these are a repeat.

55329427WeuGUe_fs.jpg

55331672rBVZqa_fs.jpg

71745318QeLFDp_fs.jpg

D'Art Center is now history as it was torn down to make way for 388 Bousch.

55329694EgTUdo_ph.jpg

Edited by guynvb

Well here is the whole album if you would like to see a few more but most of these were taken a few years back. Since Webshots does not allow file sharing you can check them out here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love your pix....I think it's funny we have almost the same image of the flags on the brick rowhouses! I've always thought downtown Norfolk's Freemason residential area was beautiful.

Also, where is the fountain in your images?

Thank you so much for posting this pic. These are the funky cranes I was referring to. This may not be a tall structure but it is by far the most impressive construction site in the city right now. It's amazing to see. It may very well be the row at Ghent. There are 2 similar projects under the same developer and i'm constantly interchanging the names . If you don't mind I'm gonna add the pic to the projects listing as well. A question for our resident engineer : Urbanfan, is there a particular purpose to a construction company using cranes of such design?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not too familiar with these types of cranes. However, by the looks of them, they appear to be alot more lightweight, compare to a typical tower crane. Tower cranes are just that, they tower above the site and have counter weights on the actual upper crane, these cranes do not have the weights at the top and look to get there resistence from cables and some type of resistance at the ground. My guess is that these are really not heavy duty cranes but are used because of how long and streched out the project is. They probably could have done it with several mobile cranes, but I think they made a good choice.

Love your pix....I think it's funny we have almost the same image of the flags on the brick rowhouses!  I've always thought downtown Norfolk's Freemason residential area was beautiful.

Also, where is the fountain in your images?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, glad you like the pics. I too noticed we had the same same brick rowhouse pic. Looks like we almost stood in the same location! The fountain is located just south of the MacArthur Memorial which is located on City Hall and I believe Commercial Place.

Thanks, glad you like the pics. I too noticed we had the same same brick rowhouse pic. Looks like we almost stood in the same location! The fountain is located just south of the MacArthur Memorial which is located on City Hall and I believe Commercial Place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess I've walked by it but just far enough away that I have never seen it! I'll have to check it out next time.

Edited by CaliTransplant

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Rusthebuss, thanks for all the pics. For some reason I just noticed how much the Hague Apartment tower needs to be externally (and probably internally too) redone. It could look a lot better and blend in with the skyline more if it had a renovation.

PS- what construction are the first few pics of after the pic of Harbor Park?