Norfolk Pictures

willy

Thanks, Willy.  Really great pics, including the ones of that small town near Galveston!

Two questions:

1.  Scrolling down from top, what is that Victorian style building in Photo #6, and...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that building is Victorian is it? I have always thought that it was some French-style of architecture. There are some buildings that look vaguely similar to this in Montr

This is probably my favorite picture of Norfolk. I've tried for a while to put it on here, but I think it was too large for photobucket or something. Anyway, I figured out how to finally. Here it is:

Norfolkbest.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That really is a great photo. The cruise ship just dwarfs everything! I almost didn't even notice the Wisconsin right there next to it. :blush:

What about the Victorian bldg visible in #6 as well as in at least one other photo?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That building has a florist in it along with a couple offices, I believe. It used to have a sub/sandwich shop too...don't think it still does. It sits at a traffic light and I've noticed it everytime I hit the red light. Very unusual for the neighborhood.

Can someone help me with this? I believe I've seen something about this building on this website but can't find it now. This is a photo of a new residential building going up near the corner of Colley Ave and Woodis Ave or Front Street - just down the street from the PETA building and across the street from WVEC. Anybody know any info?

newresidential.jpg

Edited by CaliTransplant

Can someone help me with this?  I believe I've seen something about this building on this website but can't find it now.  This is a photo of a new residential building going up near the corner of Colley Ave and Woodis Ave or Front Street - just down the street from the PETA building and across the street from WVEC.  Anybody know any info?

newresidential.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats Harbors Edge. It's gonna be a 17-story retirement community.

THAT is Harbor's Edge? It looks like a bunch of small houses, but I see the high rise crane. Isn't it on its 4th floor or something now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you notice in the pictures below they are pretty much the same. The back portion is on the 4th floor while the front is as high as it will go. This pic is probably a little dated too.

88-harborsedge.jpg

newresidential.jpg

If you notice in the pictures below they are pretty much the same. The back portion is on the 4th floor while the front is as high as it will go. This pic is probably a little dated too.

88-harborsedge.jpg

newresidential.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. I took the photo of the construction last weekend - so it's pretty recent. Looks like they have a ways to go before the highrise portion will start going up though. I believe there is still a restaurant/small grill on the property-that looked like it was open Mon-Friday? I think we'll see lots of development in the immediate area too.

Another photo with an example of renovation. About 3 years ago I road by an address in downtown Norfolk to look at a possible apartment. The building was rundown and the people hanging around the entrance left a little to be desired...we didn't stop, drove on to the next address - across Brambleton in Ghent. The other day while passing through Ghent I noticed the building across the Mowbray Arch and the big improvement. Not sure who, but a developer renovated the building, located on York near the entrance to NOAA and behind the YMCA, and I believe it is now condos. I drove by the entrance and it's very nice looking. Here's an image from Ghent. Didn't get a closer one at the time, ran out of memory on the digital card! Hopefully, some of the older structures in DT will get the same respect and treatment this one did. Especially the ones just over Brambleton! B)

onYorkSt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Trader, harbor heights, the Hilton, and Granby will all fill in the right side of this picture quite nicely. I can't wait!  :)

edit: the new brambleton tower will help fill in the right side as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello, i am brand new to these boards but i have been looking a the pics of the city and have been amazed. i was raised in the pembroke area of virginia beach. its amazing to see how much has been developed! i wonder if there is someone out there who could photoshop all the new towers going up into this photo to give a different persepective on what the skyline will look like.

Hello, i am brand new to these boards but i have been looking a the pics of the city and have been amazed.  i was raised in the pembroke area of virginia beach.  its amazing to see how much has been developed!  i wonder if there is someone out there who could photoshop all the new towers going up into this photo to give a different persepective on what the skyline will look like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome dude, are you still in the area or did you leave? You better believe there will be more projects to come in the near future!

All this chat about all the development that's happening in Norfolk is making me want to go down there and check it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are a very under recognized area and eventually we will become recognized. Come and visit and enjoy yourself. There is alot of things to do here. There will be alot more development to this area as well. This has been a long time coming and I see alot more coming in the near future.

I have to agree with the lack of recognition this area has received. Before I moved here a couple years ago, I had visited once or twice about 15 years ago. I remember thinking how empty and abandoned downtown Norfolk looked. Friends took me to Waterside and were comparing it to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. I kept thinking "is this all there is?" I remember the highlight of the trip was going to Lynnhaven Mall!! So when I had an opportunity to move here for work, I wasn't exactly excited about it. I flew in to visit and was really surprised at all the positive changes - and more surprised by the fact that it seemed nobody outside the area knew about them!!

So many cool things are happening around this area it's exciting. I love how downtown Norfolk is growing. Ghent is getting better and better all the time. And finally, Portsmouth is picking up the pace. VB's Town Center is nice and will be growing for years to come.

All this said, Mike D, jump in the car or fly on in and rediscover the area. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. B)

If you do can you take some pics of Harbor Heights so i can post them in the HH progess thread?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed the message too late. I went downtown and took a couple quick images from the car. I'll post later. I also happened by VB Towne Center and took a new pic from the Ruby Tuesday's parking lot across VB Blvd. I will try to post them later. I'll get some of Harbor Heights in a couple days.