Norfolk Pictures

willy

• 1 month later...

I found this awesome picture browsing on flickr and asked the author if I could share it. I thought you'd all enjoy it.

394901712_198d1c5d62_b.jpg

Also, I wanted to re-post this one because I think it is one of my favorite pictures of Norfolk. Just imaging this view once we can add Granby Tower ...almost looks like a real city! ;) Harbor Heights is only like 2 stories in this picture too!

wachoviaCenterlocation3.jpg

But these pictures are just a prelude to the wonderful shots you'll get from me when I visit again this weekend!

That picture is stunning. Too bad Granby is just off screen or it would be a good photoshop candidate. Wachovia will help fill it in nicely though. :) It looks recent too because HH is pretty far along in that pic.

Boy what I wouldn't give for them to build three or four high rises on top of McArthur Mall.

Boy what I wouldn't give for them to build three or four high rises on top of McArthur Mall.

I still think they should put a high rise on top of the place where the skating rink is. A Bloomingdales topped by a hotel or something is my idea situation. Oh well. Is it even dreamable to put a high rise on top of the mall itself?

I still think they should put a high rise on top of the place where the skating rink is. A Bloomingdales topped by a hotel or something is my idea situation. Oh well. Is it even dreamable to put a high rise on top of the mall itself?

As the son of a structural engineer, i can tell you 100% for certain it would virtually impossible. Adding a story or two would be doable, a high rise or even a mid rise would create logistical nightmares for foundation, support and engineering, regardless of the footprint of the existing building.

As the son of a structural engineer, i can tell you 100% for certain it would virtually impossible. Adding a story or two would be doable, a high rise or even a mid rise would create logistical nightmares for foundation, support and engineering, regardless of the footprint of the existing building.

That's what I figured. Thanks for the info, though. I guess there will always be a hole in the skyline but that's ok.

Nothing is impossible. I am a structural engineer. Anything can happen, just show me the money. More than likely to produce a high rise it would have to be over the garage portions of the site. It would require temporarily shutting down a parking garage. Ripping it apart, driving new piles, rebuilding the parking garage and columns for the building and then finishing the tower. Not impossible, just improbable.

Nothing is impossible. I am a structural engineer. Anything can happen, just show me the money. More than likely to produce a high rise it would have to be over the garage portions of the site. It would require temporarily shutting down a parking garage. Ripping it apart, driving new piles, rebuilding the parking garage and columns for the building and then finishing the tower. Not impossible, just improbable.

The only other option would of been, if the owners of the mall had planned for future growth to the mall that would include a couple towers on top of the structure. Then those needed piles would already be in place. But seeing that would require alot of money up front on something that was seen as the biggest risk to take on a dying downtown, I doubt that extra risk was even considered.

Granted I still wish the mall would of stuck to some form of street grid and created several buildings to create an indoor/outdoor shopping center. But not like that can be changed now.

I took this the other day with my little Samsung, so it may be a bit low tech. But you can almost envision the new Hilton and Wachovia Center filling out the photo. 426057479_381e6d6efb_o.jpg

That's a neat shot of the skyline, WDD. What is the building with the crane at right side of picture?

Thanks, Rus. I thought Harbor Heights was nearer completion than it appears to be in this great skyline shot. Isn't it about ready to accept residents and tenants?

burt,

perhaps you're confusing Harbor Heights with Harbor's Edge, which was completed a few months ago?

burt,

perhaps you're confusing Harbor Heights with Harbor's Edge, which was completed a few months ago?

Haha. That's probably it, lammius. Isn't Harbor's Edge a high rise on the water west of Ft. Norfolk? And isn't it a high-rise for retirees?

It's like Short Pump! Every development out there has Short Pump in its name -- SPTC. SPCorner, SPTCW. SP Station. It's maddening...not to mention very non-original! :)

Thanks, Rus. I thought Harbor Heights was nearer completion than it appears to be in this great skyline shot. Isn't it about ready to accept residents and tenants?

HH is 'scheduled' to accept residents in June. There's alot needing to be done in three months if they're gonna pull it off.